Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • 39 seconds! So morally who should be awarded the TdF?
  • igm

OK sorry I'm late, but I just saw the highlights. And the final time difference is bang on the stage time difference when Schleck's chain fell off.
    So do you feel Schelck was the best rider and Contador was just lucky, or did Contador have more in reserve and just did what he absolutely had to?

And if a spectator knocks Contador off his bike tomorrow should Schleck wait?

Anyone got air tickets for Paris?

thv3
    Free Member

Lets just remember Schleck gained time on Contador in the first week due to a crash and the peloton splitting.

rOcKeTdOg

Lance, he had loads of crashes and everyone carried on

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It's a race, FFS. If you have anything which slows you down, you lose. That is all.

mrmo
    Free Member

also consider that if Shleck won the tour in 12years time he wouldn't be old. On this occasion, S*** happens.

igm

Actually on the basis that I forgot to enter and didn't get fit, can I claim the moral victory?

Sorry, just been gazumped – wife points out she's pregnant so the field has to wait 9 months for her.

PS THV – In the first week crash neither was in yellow

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

39 seconds? Try asking Laurent Fignon about that 8 seconds business…

As above. It's a race.

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

So where's the SPOILER alert!

I've just got in, recorded the highlights to watch later!!!!!!

No need to bother now 👿

jam-bo

the one doping the least?

igm

AnalogueAndy – apologies I thought I was last.

Phatman
    Free Member

Schleck's over it you should be too!

the repurcussions of schlecks chain jumping and contadors reaction to it (i'm sure he knew exactly what had happened) are debatable rather than controversial.

Without wanting to take anything away from Schleck, i'm a fan as he's such a likable fellow, he didn't really show dominance over contador unlike contador who did ride him off the hill on a couple of occasions.

oldgit
    Free Member

He did enough to win and no more in a typical 'very' pro way.

Schleck was very good,but IMO should have ridden like a champion when he had the chance. The 'Track stand incident' took him down in my estimation. I can't imagine any of the past champions playing silly buggers like that.

The man I feel more sorry for is Hushvold.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

If Schleck was the better ride he would have left Contador hanging on the Tourmalet.

Ditto, it's a bike race. If my chain falls off in a race no one's going to wait for me. Stephen Roche has it right- Schleck should've been ready and in the right gear rather than fannying about changing whilst in full tilt. Everyone knows you can't pound at that sort of stress and expect your gears to work perfect every time.

Schleck will win one day. He's a superb rider and hopefully we'll have some epic battles in years to come. Also, unlike Evans and Vino, a very likeable guy. How many tour riders have said "I don't want to sound arrogant"?!

anc
    Free Member

The strongest rider is in yellow. Its a bike race FFS. Schleck was only in the position to take yellow after Sparticus put his food down on the cobbles after a crash isolated most of the gc contenders. Remember he also neutralised the stage on the previous day in which Andy would have lost serious time. I ain't that keen on Contador but he is the best all round rider and worthy champion.

igm

Personal opinion is that this year the two of them are simply in a class of their own. Either would be worthy winners and Contador is ahead – just odd that is comes down to 39 seconds.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Like Contador left Schleck hanging?

Like no one ever changes gear on climbs?

Like there's no ettiquete in road racing?

Like your racing compares to the tour Luke? Have you ever done a stage race?

ALL OF YOU PUUUUULLLLLEEEAAAAZZEEE!!!!!!!!

Urchinboy
    Free Member

Yay, this is more like the kind of TDF thread I've been after.

I find it hilarious that there is even a debate about the chain slipping business. As several have said above, it's a race, the guy who completed it fastest won it (probably). I know loads of people are whinging about etiquette and sportsmanlike behaviour but I hope that over the next few years that kind of stuff gets eroded and I can watch a more interesting race. Road riding is dull enough (in comparison to other cycling events, obviously only in my very subjective opinion) without stupid etiquette conventions stopping people racing. If you want a race without mechanicals playing a part, don't ride bikes. Or learn how to change gear, and put a chain on quickly.

igm

And send them out at the time gaps they came in – you're 8 sec up after stage one? Go out 8 sec before the next man in stage two.

And no race radio, or team cars.

And carry your spares.

And food.

And water (though I will allow you to buy it at any shop you pass on the route).

It would be interesting – but it wouldn't be the TdF.

Urchinboy
    Free Member

I like the story of the guy who re-welded his bike in a local smithy one year. Make them create their own bikes from base metals every year.

cynic-al
    Free Member

igm – it would b unworkable.

*engage brain before typing*

Edric64
    Free Member

I find it hilarious that there is even a debate about the chain slipping business. As several have said above, it's a race, the guy who completed it fastest won it (probably). I know loads of people are whinging about etiquette and sportsmanlike behaviour but I hope that over the next few years that kind of stuff gets eroded and I can watch a more interesting race. Road riding is dull enough (in comparison to other cycling events, obviously only in my very subjective opinion) without stupid etiquette conventions stopping people racing. If you want a race without mechanicals playing a part, don't ride bikes. Or learn how to change gear, and put a chain on quickly.

it's not boring if you understand it ,have done it,or have watched it for thirty years

Urchinboy
    Free Member

It would be interesting – but it wouldn't be the TdF.

I think it would be nicer to watch though. I have a (probably slightly irrational) problem with all the support vehicles and stuff. Maybe I just don't get it, but I would like to see a more self sufficient race. I'd have more respect for the event.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

I felt you could see on the Tourmalet that Contador was the better rider, but this "honour" nonsense got in the way again- after Schleck felt he was stiffed with his chain, "honour" meant he had to take a stage win.

A bike race is a bike race is a bike race. Fastest time wins- be that me pootling round a field or 3 weeks round France. You don't make sure your bike works, you do something daft then you lose. I'm sorry, but if I'm attacking someone I sit there, pick my gear THEN go, it's common sense.

Urchinboy
    Free Member

it's not boring if you understand it ,have done it,or have watched it for thirty years

I know. I'm not a huge fan. I have tried hard to watch it and be interested in it over many years (I still prefer it to other non-cycling sports) and my continued lack of interest stems partly from stupid stuff like the chain argument. Makes the idea of it being a race a bit laughable (to me, subjectively speaking).

igm

cynic-al – Member
    igm – it would b unworkable

Brain was engaged. And I think my views are closer to yours and Edric's than some of the others

It might or might not be workable but it wouldn't be as much fun. Stage racing is what it is. Try to turn it into something different and it would be the race across America or something. Any of you watch that on a "must get home from work basis"?

Urchinboy
    Free Member

I felt you could see on the Tourmalet that Contador was the better rider, but this "honour" nonsense got in the way again- after Schleck felt he was stiffed with his chain, "honour" meant he had to take a stage win.

Yes. Me too. Some seem to admire the honourable gesture, I was a bit pissed off that I'd just watched 20 minutes of two men riding up a hill on a road only to see one appear to let the other one win. May as well toss a coin at the start.

igm

SpokesCycles – Member

Not an expert, but the one time Contador tried to break, after having been towed up by Schleck, Schleck seemed to have no problem responding. And when you got a shot of both faces Contador looked like he was in more pain.

But that said, all he had to do was sit on Schleck's tail so Schleck couldn't spring a surprise attack, so we'll never know if he could have done more than that.

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Yeah. I really feel Contador could have just opened up the taps and destroyed him- compared to Schleck he looked very comfortable, but they didn't even contest the finish. Taps on the back etc. It's fairly easy to guess what they were talking about all the way up.

It would have been good to see today go to the wire and keep the times as they were at the first split- that would've made for interesting racing on the last day.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I'm sorry, but if I'm attacking someone I sit there, pick my gear THEN go, it's common sense.

what if you need to change gear after a while. Which just MIGHT happen, given you are accelerating (changng speed) and the roads MAY have varying gradient?

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

You have your rear sprockets to compensate. Schleck's issue was he thought he could pound up in 53/16 or whatever and then shift down at full chap at the front and it work perfectly. Sometimes front mechs behave. Sometimes they don't- it's why chain catchers exist. He's young, he's learnt a lesson, he won't do it again.

igm

What he's probably learnt is that he's young, and he's pretty much good enough to win it already – bit of luck one way or another and it's his.

That does wonders for confidence if you take it the right way.

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

3 weeks to produce 39 seconds of racing?
    I'll stick to watching the DH World Cup.

Garry_Lager

3 weeks to produce 39 seconds of racing?
    I'll stick to watching the DH World Cup.

😆 Son, that would probably be for the best.

Think Contador was a wee level above this time out, so you can't begrudge him the win. He looked under some pressure at times from AC, but never enough to really take him into deep waters. Vice verca AS was never really tucked up by Bert, either.

AS has to take huge heart from this that he can win the Tour in the future. Agree with the arl fella above that the pseudo track standing business was hardly the stuff of champions, but he's only young. It's one thing to talk about taking the race by the scruff of the neck and blowing the peleton apart – blood and guts strewn all over the road, but it probably takes a few Tours under the belt before you have the confidence to ride like this. Maybe AS will be more aggressive in the coming years.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Everyone knows you can't pound at that sort of stress and expect your gears to work perfect every time.

that makes me chuckle luke 😀

MisterCrud
    Free Member

Schlek's gears jumped because he was in 39×12. Any novice MTB'er knows not to stress the chain like that. He should have attacked in the big ring.
    It was a stupid attack anyway. If he had succeeded, he would have definitely been caught on the following descent.
    The right man won. Touching to see his tears yesterday, he showed how much it means to him.

cynic-al
    Free Member

It was a stupid attack anyway. If he had succeeded, he would have definitely been caught on the following descent.

erm…it worked for Contador?

radoggair
    Free Member

i need to disagree with those who felt that Contador had more in the bag than Schleck. Firstly, the reason AS got his original 41 sec gap over Cont was because he put the hammer down on a climb and Cont couldn't respond. The only time Contador got time on AS was on another climb where AS couldn't respond at first but then picked the pace up later and lost only 10 secs ( which cont still didn't win the stage, beaten on a sprint). Just remember as well that contador when he took advantage of the whole 'chaingate' issue, he was wheeled up the hill with 3 others whereas AS chased down cont by himself up the climb and got within 13 secs of him at the summit. The only reason cont got so much time out of AS was the fact everyone in Cont group worked together for the stage whereas AS only had 2 others to help him and 1 of those was Cont' team mate who obviously did no help in the bunch. TT aside, i think AS looked stronger, had a better team around him and did more of the work in the climbs compared to 'Cont who spend most of it being wheeled up.

And for those who feel the tdf IS boring, try riding in groups at that speed for that distance and find out how hard it is. 70kph on the straights on Fridays stage, thats tough work!!

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘39 seconds! So morally who should be awarded the TdF?’ is closed to new replies.