Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 29er front disc wheel for road commuter? – options?
  • reggiegasket
    Free Member

I about to fit a discfork to my 700c commuter and need a front wheel to fit. I’m aware of the Mavic Speedcity but I’m thinking that a 29er wheel will be fine too, as long as the rim isn’t too wide.

Anyone spotted any good deals?

They’ll be running 28mm road tyres.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

or put another way, tell me about cheap 29er wheels with QR hub…..

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Build your own? XT or Deore hub and an Open Pro rim and spokes of your choice. Works for me (one one bike – Speedcity’s on the other…. they are really nice :-).

brassneck

I bought a pair from Merlin – cheap n nasty hubs but fine for road use, £60 a pair inc VIP discount. At that price you can price in a rebuild to a nicer disk hub in a year or two.

Haven’t got around to installing the cross tyres I was going to use (32mm), but I think 28mm might be a bit narrow for a 29er rim.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

just found this for £107

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/hope/pro2-evo-no-tubes-ztr-crest-29er-front-wheel-ec027435

– the Crest and Arch rims look very similar on the NoTubes site. Is one better suited for road tyres…?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I currently run Mavic A319 rims which are listed at 25mm wide, which puts them at the same width as the 29er Arch and Crest rims (24.4mm) so they should be okay.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Both/all a bit overkill for road use IMO – esp on teh front.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

yeah, maybe.

The thing is that most (all?) disc hubs are 32h so even if you try a lightweight build of, say, a Hope Evo hub on Open Pro the Open pro rim is a full 435g, whereas the Stans Crest is only 380g, so the Hope/Crest 29er wheel may well be lighter than you could handbuild something anyway….

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ah fair enough – I forgot the crest is their lightest 700c rim (bar the alpha).

bristolbiker
    Free Member

If it’s rim weight your worried about, go for Halo Aerotracks – at-or-just-under 400g a pop and can be had on Ebay for about £20, or £30 retail (again, currently using these on a 700c disc bike and, despite the lack of eyelets, they have been absolutely fine, stiff and true for over a year).

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

Mavic A319 disc rims laced to Shimano Deore disc hub should do ya !

tomaso
    Free Member

Mavic A317s on Deore disc hubs? :mrgreen:My wheels?

tomaso
    Free Member

Oh and I think 319s would be too wide for 28mm tyres.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I run A319s at the moment and they’re fine on 28s

paulpalf
    Free Member

Watch out if you go stan’s – from what i understand you can’t run road bike pressures in them, they are only rated to about 50psi with a 1″ wide tyre because they may blow off with the less aggressive bead.

paulpalf
    Free Member

turns out that max pressure thing only applies to tubeless, you can go higher with tubes.

tinribz
    Free Member

f it’s rim weight your worried about, go for Halo Aerotracks – at-or-just-under 400g a pop and can be had on Ebay for about £20, or £30 retail (again, currently using these on a 700c disc bike and, despite the lack of eyelets, they have been absolutely fine, stiff and true for over a year)

Like this:

XT hub, Swiss champ spokes, 29p each at Rose Bikes.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘29er front disc wheel for road commuter? – options?’ is closed to new replies.