Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • 25.4 to OS- why does the OS feel taller?!
  • hora
    Free Member

Ok, currently have 25.4 high rise bars and ideally wanted to go to Easton low-rise but of course 25.4 bars are being phased out in favour of over-sized bars.

Current set up:
    Thomson Elite 50mm zero rise
    EA70 high rise bars

So…I’ve ordered:
    Thomson X4 50mm zero rise OS
    low-rise EC70 CNT bars

Looking at them- the radius increase in particular it looks like the new set up is at least equal to a older mid-rise 25.4 equvillient set up?!!!

(Or does it equal out and it’d be low rise etc).

In a nutshell I want to go low-rise as opposed to current hi-rise however the OS new set up seems to be more mid-rise (not fitted yet) but visually it looks this way.

Any user thoughts when you changed from 25.4 to OS?

AdeC
    Free Member

you can check the rise of both setups by leaning the bike against a wall (use a spirit level to ensure it’s straight), then mark where the top of the grip rests against the wall. Swap to the OS stem/bars and do the same.

31.8 bars are way stiffer than 25.4 bars. Once you’re used to the look of OS bars, the 25.4’s look rubbish!

I use a similar setup to yours (thomson X4 70mm stem with easton EA70s) and its sweet.

Bruce

It might be because the newer bars are a bit widder

ampthill

Bruce my thoughts. As the bars get thicker the top of the bar gets taller

I’m a amazed at the at patience some people have changing bars to achieve the correct ride height. At the moment I haven’t even got round to rolling mine up a bit , which I think will help

Or quick fix. let some air out of your forks, quicker and save weight and money

hora
    Free Member

Kinda negates the whole idea of swapping out to get a lower-rise though 🙁

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘25.4 to OS- why does the OS feel taller?!’ is closed to new replies.