Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 200k In A Day: 2 Days 200 miles
  • AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Ok alot of it canal path, but thought you'd like to hear of this weeks offroad 'epic'

It's the 200th Anniversary of the completion of John Rennies Kennet and Avon Canal. Hence the '200' idea (yeah, I know)

The Ridgeway idea came as I've overnight accomodation near Shrivenham, just off The Ridgeway.

Day One.
    72 Miles up the K&A towpath (via lunch stop @ Newbury) to Theale near Reading, then north, across the M4, through Sulham woods to Pangbourne, across the Thames at Whitchurch and then on some lovely swoopy ST bridleway (part of the Thames path) through Gatehampton to Goring. Across the Thames again at Streatley to pick up the start of the ridable bit of the Ridgeway.

Along that for 20 miles to the white horse at Uffington and drop off for the overnight stay (TooTall will guess where :wink:)

127.6 miles (204km)

Day Two. Climb back up on to the Ridgeway, follow that to its end (or start?) near Avebury. Nice lunch stop amongst the stones and then over the Marlborough Downs, past the White Horse near Pewsey and pick up the canal again to ride back to Bath. 74.3 miles

Total 201.9 miles

It was planned to be a group ride.. 7 signed up. Some dropped out with good excuses, some with dodgy excuses and one with no excuses so it ended up as 'The Lone Breakaway'

Some pics:

Edit: re-link piccies

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

More Here

jimmyshand
    Free Member

Good man. Although not in anyway technical it looks like a cracking ride.

DavidB
    Free Member

Andy, very interested in that route. Don't suppose you GPS'd it?

tangent
    Free Member

Seems like a cool line…going back in time there was a excellent illustrated article on the Rideway by Jo Burt in a old MBUK.
    Seeing yout bike parked outside Wayland Smithy reminded of that.

Will have to ride it some day…prob on me singlespeed or Brompton 4 luggage carrying capacity

Philby

Looks a lovely ride!

AnalogueAndy
    Free Member

Hi David, possibly the linky bits. K&A and Ridgeway too much of a faff

I have done some route cards.. what's yr mail add?

DavidB
    Free Member

dave AT phased DOT co DOT uk

Thanks!

TooTall
    Free Member

It looks as good as you said it would be – well done on riding it alone!

allthepies
    Free Member

Great report + pics, well done 🙂

mountainposture

Fab – and I really like the idea of celebrating the 200th anniversary of the K&A completion like this.

Tiger6791

Thats some serious miles, well done

flatfish
    Free Member

Routecards for me too please Andy.

Andrewataylor@ gmail dot com

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘200k In A Day: 2 Days 200 miles’ is closed to new replies.