Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 140mm or 150mm forks on Orange 5
  • retrobloke
    Free Member

Anyone got thoughts on either using 140mm Rock Shox revelation 2010 or 150mm 2011. The new 2011 150's have a new function to drop the fork height by 30mm, making it easier to get uphill.
    Just wondering if the 140's make getting uphill anymore difficult, as I am use to 120mm forks. I will be using mostly for long day rides in Wales and the Peak District, and numerous trail centres.

votchy
    Free Member

140 Floats on my 07 5 and that gets a bit light on the front on steep climbs

maggsy99
    Free Member

tried my 09 orange at 160mm it was ok but when you come to climbs its then you wish you could drop the front end its to high for climbing,set mine fox floats at 140mm what a difference thats the sweet spot for the 5 allround…

Lummox

2010 revs + short stem + wide bars = awesome

Just need to sit on saddle nose to climb steeper stuff, ive cleared more stuff on this than my hardtail

ScottChegg
    Free Member

It depends on the 5. The 07 is not as slack in the head angle as the later models. I find 150mm on my 07 is fine; but I like to drop it to 130mm for the steep stuff.

retrobloke
    Free Member

thanks guys, interesting thoughts so far

chakaping
    Free Member

2010 revs + short stem + wide bars = awesome

Yep, rode my mate's for a bit when up in Lakes the other week and it was tremendous fun (750mm bars, 150mm fork, 50mm stem).

cynic-al
    Free Member

With that travel and in those areas, I'd go for a fork that can be easily dropped.

mr-bump
    Free Member

I run mine with 140mm Fox's and find it spot.
    I did have it fitted with 36's and although great on the downs the ups were a real slog! 🙄

dseenya
    Free Member

My '10 five has revelation u-turns 130mm-150mm. I just leave them on the max travel setting which is probably 145mm with slightly more negative air in them. it doesn't feel too high at the front when climbing.

retrobloke
    Free Member

thanks again for replies, still not 100% sure which to go for, maybe the 150mm with 30mm drop for uphills

Northwind

If in doubt, get the u-turns… Slower to adjust than the new thing but it means you can choose any length you like on the fly. Say, 140, with 150mm in reserve and 120mm to climb. Adds a tiny bit of weight and complexity but otherwise, you get a fork that works just as well at any length. Ace.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘140mm or 150mm forks on Orange 5’ is closed to new replies.