Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • £1000 – £1500 commuter bike budget- ideas?
  • 663sqd
    Free Member

Time constraints mean my training may be mostly done on a commuter bike in the near future. .
    I will be doing 39 miles to work, approx 2 hr ride and either do the return journey same day or day after. .i used an old racer which I do not own any more last year, but thinking of a new bike. . I may be carrying rucksack, so after something fast, reliable, and comfortable for commuting. Something also to use on a turbo trainer . . Carbon racer? Flat bar bike?
    What so you ride?

Daffy

That’s not an easy niche to fill. But given the distance and the time constraints, I’d say a decent (if you have somewhere to lock it up) road bike, perhaps with some full length guards if you’re planning to commute in bad weather.

Anything hub geared may be just too heavy for that kind of mileage.

Planet X RT58?

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/CBPXRT58FOR/planet_x_rt58_s_bike

My 2peneth anyway.

663sqd
    Free Member

Thanks, ill have a good look at this one . .

yossarian
    Free Member
    TiRed

Giant Defy 0. With a Tubus Fly rack. 78 miles with a rucksack is not great. You can fit rack and guards to the alloy ones and it’ll still be light. Upgrade the tyres to Schwalbe Durano S.

I’ve commuted the same distance on my fixed wheel, but no more than a couple of times a month. Always with a rack and pannier briefcase.

663sqd
    Free Member

Loving all the suggestions, they are ticking most of the boxes ! Thanks all. .

dazh

Is your commute flat? If so I’d consider a singlespeed roadie. Fast, light, and most importantly, zero(ish) maintenance.

Something like this? http://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk/store/product/42153/Pearson-OnceMoreUntoTheBreach/

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Get one that you can fit rack and mudguards to, and put your stuff in panniers.

Makes a world of difference to comfort and sweatiness over that distance.

I do 25 mile each way commute once a week, half on road, half off road on farm tracks and bridleways on a Planet X Kaffenback with disc brakes, mudguards, rack and panniers.

Did I mention rack, panniers, mudguards?

bmxboyx01
    Free Member

I’d have a look at what Ribble have to offer and save yourself £200-500 and get a good set of rims and tyres to keep the weight down and therefore the effort. Steel or Carbon to take harshness out of the ride, 25mm min tyres for the same reason.

Northwind

Somewhere secure to park it? If not I’d want something not too obviously nice. You can have a nice bike that doesn’t scream “nick me” but it’d rule a lot out.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I do that sort of commute and if you’re going to be riding in, then driving/public transporting home and back then riding home the following night then I just drop off my clean kit before hand and ride without a bag or panniers. For that distance don’t mince about, if it’s all on road buy a road bike. A cross bike will be heavier and a road bike is plenty tough enough.

I’d look at the Trek Madone 3.1 or a Giant Defy.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

1500 singelspeed?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/trek-district-carbon-/130870485657

or alternatively, Ribble Sportive 365, or a Kinesis Tk3 (i’ve got one, its very nice, like a racebike but you can put a pannier/’guards on it).

jimc101
    Free Member

39 miles is 62.76km, in 2 hours, that an average of almost 32kmh, are you really sure you can sustain that for 2 hours.

Mudguards are almost essential for commuting, as others have mentioned, in addition to a rack and panniers, which will make life more comfortable than a rucksack.

From the suggestions above, the Kaffenback with discs is good, have been using a non-disc version for the last 5-6 years, great bike, but loaded, with decent all weather tires, 32kmh constant would be pushing it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I may be carrying rucksack, so after something …………………comfortable

Trust me, it doesn’t work. Get something with panniers.

2 hours is pretty dam quick, doable if you’re fit, but still pretty quick.

Commuter needs:

32mm tyres (personal choice, I’ve commuted on 21mm tyres and survived)
    Full length mudguards on proper mounts
    Panniers

I’d go for the kaffenback or TK3, not ridden either, but they’re on my list if/when the current commuter dies.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Horatio – I have the alloy 4th District, wish you hadn’t highlighted the carbon version and that there is one for sale 😉

andy3809
    Free Member

Going against the grain here but I can’t stand racks and panniers on my commute. I do 25 each way 2 or 3 times a week and hate all that dead weight on the bike. Same with guards. I don’t really care about the wet as long as I’m dressed appropriately, ie tights, overshoes and winter boots. I love hitting every commute like its a time trial. Love it!

Same with the defy as well. I had mine for a week before selling it on. It’s just so dull and safe and just neutral. I now use a Planet X team Alu as my commuter/winter bike and its stiff and fast and a delight to ride.

I take clean clothes in the car on a Monday morning and keep a couple of weeks worth at the office.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘£1000 – £1500 commuter bike budget- ideas?’ is closed to new replies.