Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 10 Speed Cranks with 9 speed cassette and chain..any issues?
  • seven
    Free Member

Anybody used the above, as I want to put a cheep 10 speed crank on the commute bike.

Anybody tried it and had issues with 9 speed chain on 10 speed cranks?

Cheers

float
    Free Member

the 9 speed chain will be fine. if you running a 9 speed front mech thatll cause issues.

mattjg
    Free Member

9 speed front mech

huh?

PaulD
    Free Member

Cage width and pull ratio are ‘speed’ specific.

PaulD

martinxyz
    Free Member

I run 9 and 10 speed chains through a 10spd front mech on a 10spd slx chainset. Either chain,not a problem!

I run 9spd xtr shifters,9spd xtr rear mech and a 9 speed cassette and I’ve had no problems with either type of chain. I have swapped back and forth and through a range of gearo combo’s it doesn’t seem to make much odds. Its great!

This doesn’t mean it will work with any mega9 dynasis mix mash so be careful mixing anything other than what you asked about.

nedrapier

Death.

mrmo
    Free Member

10 spd Chorus chainset, 9spd veloce shifters, 9spd centaur rear mech and 105 front mech. All plays along fine.

nedrapier

Nope, sorry. Forgot. It’s fine. That’s what I’ve had on my Em Tee Bee for the last 4 months – 10 speed XT double, 9 speed SRAM chain and cassette. Current typing performance suggests no resultant early onset death.

seven
    Free Member

Thanks all.

Sounds good. I’ll be keeping the triple shifter and 9 speed mech just bodging the high and low settings (works a treat with the Middleburn duo I run on the hard tail)so we’ll see 🙂

nuke

fwiw I’ve been using a 10-speed double front mech with 9-speed drivetrain (9-speed shifters/chainset/chain/etc) with no issues for months

martinxyz
    Free Member

RE: the front mech. You can’t fit a mega9 front mech to the correct height over a dyna-sys chainset anyways. (as far as the correct distance of the underside of the outer plate/outer chainring teeth is concerned regardless of whether it’s direct or band on)

sYs*

martinxyz
    Free Member

All on a road bike,Nuke?

ryreed
    Free Member

I have a 10 Spd XT chainset working with a 9spd XT/SLX set up, including front mech. It works fine for me. It is set up as a double with the big ring removed if that makes any difference regarding the high low settings and indexing.

andyl
    Free Member

10 speed cranks with the rest 9 speed is absolutely fine. But as I said in another thread leave the front mech at the same height it was set at for the 9 speed rings (22-32-44) and don’t be tempted to lower it down for the 42T outer (if going for a 3 ring set up).

As far as I am aware the pull ratio on the front is the same for 9 or 10 speed and only the rear is different. So if you have the 10 speed 24-32-42 frong rings then the 10 speed front mech would fit better but the 9 speed one will still work, just don’t lower it down or it will hit the middle ring.

seven
    Free Member

Thanks again, guys, should have made it clear that I am looking at 10 speed cranks as wanting to move to double chainset over the triple for the commute duties.

andyl
    Free Member

if you get a double then get a double specific front mech as it will shift better. But any front shifter should work with it

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

Been using 10 speed xt chainset and 9 speed xt mechs with. knc al 9 speed chain for 5 months without a problem.

theboatman
    Free Member

X7 10spd double crank on a mix of 9 spd X9, slx front mech and ultegra 10spd chain. All good.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘10 Speed Cranks with 9 speed cassette and chain..any issues?’ is closed to new replies.