Home Forums Bike Forum +1 : list of things not to do again [HT2 Pinchbolt Content]

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • +1 : list of things not to do again [HT2 Pinchbolt Content]
  • gofasterstripes
    Free Member

4 hours, 3 masonry drillbits, a snapped-off bolt extractor*, a broken bit from my socket set/screwdriver ends, 3 hacksaw blades, blisters, headaches and bad temper later…….

Note to self – NO!

On the plus side, XTR Chainset and mech can now actually go on.

*Don’t bother buying Maplin bolt extractors, they snap off and leave a lump of CR-V or HSSteel in the middle of the bolt, making drilling it out utterly depressing and unbelievably slow.

Jamie
    Free Member

njee20
    Free Member

Surely an easier way to do it than that?!

bruneep

legend
    Free Member

I just usually turn the allen key the other way, but if you fancy a challenge then your way looks good too

😉

Jamie
    Free Member

I reckon a thermal lance would have made less mess.

nick1962
    Free Member

Every cloud.Should be able to get almost 50p scrap if that’s aluminium.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

There was a case-hardened bolt stuck in there, rounded out and with an oversized head jammed in the damn hole in the crank.

I tried – heat, undoing it with other bits [bigger etc, they just jammed it in the recess more] bolt extractor, then finally drilling the shit out of it.

When I got to the bottom of the head, the CR-V lump stuck in it meant the drill wouldn’t bite the head, so I had to resort to extreme violence.

I JUST WANT TO RIDE THE THING ASAP!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I phoned these guys, but they were busy for the next few days.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Couldn’t you get a hacksaw blade down the slot of the crank and cut through the bolt?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I did try, but the BB has been in there ages, the crank was dead already and I didn’t want to cut into the BB [unavoidable from the angle required] in case that also got stuck or broke up.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Dremel ? Masonry drill bit ? are they stone cranks?

molgrips
    Free Member

Could’ve got a dremel cutting disc down there though I reckon.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I don’t have one! Spent all my money on the parts I am going to fit!

Next time I’ll ask you lot to come around and bring your tools to do it for me, eh? 😛

legend
    Free Member

nah, it’ll be cheaper just to send you the £35 for a dremel 😉

mrhoppy

Would it not be possible to drill the bolts from the back?

binners

That looks even worse than any act of bike butchery that I’ve been guilty of

Well done sir!

somafunk

Christ!…that’s only fit for ebay now 😀

Cheap screw/stud extractors are cheap for a reason, i have a snap-on set that have proved invaluable but even then i only use them as an absolute last resort with my fingers crossed.

Northwind

gofasterstripes – Member

a snapped-off bolt extractor

There’s never in human history been a story that started off with “So I tried to use a small bolt extractor” that didn’t end in “and now it’s broken off in the bolt”

TooTall
    Free Member

What is a thread of this nature without referencing rocks, superstars etc?

Good job. Do you have anger management issues?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

That looks even worse than any act of bike butchery that I’ve been guilty of

Well done sir!

Would it not be possible to drill the bolts from the back?

The bolt was pretty damn hard and there was a lot more to go through from that end. The hacksawing actually didn’t take very long, but it did make a mess.

You are all now free to abuse me with no further answers forthcoming.

I’ll put the link to the ebay auction here when I put it on.

Sundayjumper

Those won’t do much good on steel !

Dremel, drill them from the “wrong” side, or use a left-handed drill bit.

And a few litres of hindsight 😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

Drilling from the back was my though. Not because you’d drill through it all, but because you’re applying heat where it has actually seized and because the direction of rotation is trying to undo the bolt rather than driving it in.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Drilling from the back was my though. Not because you’d drill through it all, but because you’re applying heat where it has actually seized and because the direction of rotation is trying to undo the bolt rather than driving it in.

mrhoppy

The bolt was pretty damn hard and there was a lot more to go through from that end. The hacksawing actually didn’t take very long, but it did make a mess.

Not surprising if you’re using masonry bits, try hss next time. Right tools for the job and all.

nach
    Free Member

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Sorry, I should have said:

The bolt destroyed the HSS bit I tried in <30 seconds.

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Recently had a colleague in a similar predicament as gofasterstripes (but not quite as spectacular).

He’d rounded off one head with his cheap allen keys, I managed to nip the other pinch bolt up which took the pressure off the rounded head and allowed me to undo it with a proper allen key.

Might give the gofasterstripes method a go next time though, looks a lot more entertaining 😀

benji
    Free Member

The bolt destroyed the HSS bit I tried in <30 seconds.

Wrong speed, feed speed, and lack of cutting fluid, or a case of poor quality drill bit.

mc
    Free Member

Buy better drill bits!
    Cheap HSS drills are a false economy, as they usually don’t drill anything harder than aluminium, unless you get a lot of pressure on them. Also, I’m pretty sure Shimano use stainless bolts, which will work harden the moment the drill stops cutting and starts rubbing.
    Stainless is a rubbish conductor of heat, so you have ensure you are always cutting, as the moment the cutting tool rubs, it’ll heat up resulting in work hardening. Applying a bit oil helps to transfer heat away from the cutting edge, but nothing will compensate for a rubbish drill bit.

Getting seized bolts out is something that is made far easier by lots of experience.
    For pinch bolts on cranks, once the other option of hammering something bigger in has failed, take a good quality sharp 6-7mm drill with plenty pressure and a slowish speed and drill the head off. Once the head is drilled of, you should be able to get the cranks of the bike, then continue drilling with a smaller drill bit somewhere more suitable i.e. a vice or pillar drill, to get the rest of the bolt out if needed. The ideal situation now the pressure will be of the bolt, is the drill will snag the remains, and screw it out.

chipster

Using the masonry drill probably tightened the screw up further.

Next Christmas, get Santa to bring you a decent quality drill bit set and easyouts. If you get a stuck bolt in the meantime, take it to the LBS.

💡

Put some Copaslip on your new crankset bolts, before they get stuck.

chiefgrooveguru

This is what good local bike shops are for! (Of course I’ve never got a pair of cranks similarly stuck myself…)

scruff9252

So you had a hardened steel bolt stuck in an (soft) aluminium crank arm. You may have had an easier time of it had you cut the alloy and not the really hard steel part!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Yes, in the end that’s what I did, but it seemed a shame to ruin the arm. I’m pretty poor!

I also ran the drill backwards, hoping to unscrew it…. The end of the masonry bit was rotationally symmetrical, and the hardest one I had. I also had to borrow the drill, and bits (except one massive one I had that someone gave me). I cannot pour cutting fluid over it in a flat, and there’s no way to power a mains drill outside in the street.

I am sure many of peoples comments here are correct, but to be honest, I just want to get back out on the MTB as quick as possible, and I don’t have the benefit of lots of tools, or even a shed. Or the funds to pay a shop when I know I can do it!

I got it off, despite the bolt being utterly jammed in there, now I can stick a new BB and drivetrain on, and go riding.

I look forward to seeing you on the trails, and I’m never using a second-hand chainset with rounded bolts again!

See you on the trails and happy 2015!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘+1 : list of things not to do again [HT2 Pinchbolt Content]’ is closed to new replies.