Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Choakleys
  • plop_pants
    Free Member

Just got a pair of Radar fakes and, well, I’ll be jiggered if I can tell the difference to a pair of real ones (mine). The Choakley lenses fit my real frames too.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

where from dx?

plop_pants
    Free Member

zhaoxu2009 on fleabay.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Wonder if the frames shatter into sharp edges when you stack wearing the fakes or not-cheap enough to test it out perhaps? Update us when you have tried?

crikey
    Free Member

No suggsey, they don’t.

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Hi,

Any photos? How do the fake frames compare. Are they as rigid as the originals and do they fit the same on our face? Do your real lens fit in the fake frames?

Regards

crikey
    Free Member

They are virtually the same, but the real Oakley lenses are massively better.

crikey
    Free Member

…and yes, the lenses are interchangeable.

plop_pants
    Free Member

yes, yes and yes s-a-g.

plop_pants
    Free Member

Crikey is right about the lenses. Well at least one. The iridium lens with my choakleys has a blue tint that is a bit too much and wash out alot of colour. They don’t distort though.

petefromearth

does anyone have a link to the DX ones? the links on the previous threads dont work – maybe they’ve been rumbled?

anyway, are these ebay ones the same, or as good?

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

plop pants,

Thanks for the update. Have a few pairs of the Jawbones and they are great. Had a pair of Radars before but they were rubbish, might give these ones a try.

Regards

cymro1
    Free Member

The coating on the lenses tends to rub off really easily, they did on mine. But for a couple of quid who cares? (apart from Oakley)

CHB

hmmm.good recommendation. thanks

itsmygame
    Free Member

Look on eBay for ‘ jawbone lense ‘ and you will find lenses made by top manufactures to fit the frames. Hd / polarised / tinted even 3d lol. Oh and photo chromatic however these are alot more.

DT78
    Free Member

Have a pair of real jawbones, and a pair of fakes. Lens do interchange. Look the part, however frame and rubber does feel cheap compared to the real thing. Can’t tell when you are riding though.

martymac

can anyone recommend some fake radars?
    wouldnt mind testing the fake ones for a few weeks to see if the shape is comfy before a blow 180 quid on a pair.
    i currently use m frames but find they are a little close to my eyelashes.

johnnystorm

The same eBay seller as mentioned above has Radars.

beachboss
    Free Member

Clear jawbones ordered. For 12 quid they’re a steal 8)

jota180
    Free Member

I have some fake Radars and they’re OK

Only noticed today though, started my ride without glasses then as it got brighter I put them on [about 2 hrs in]. The bike suddenly feels higher/bigger. Another couple of hours and they come off and the bike suddenly feels much smaller/lower.
    I wouldn’t normally notice it if I’d either worn them for the whole ride or didn’t bother, there’s definitely something weird [optically] going on with the Fakely lenses.

misterlee
    Free Member

ordered a pair of white over black jawbones last night 🙂

All-On-Black
    Free Member

there’s definitely something weird [optically] going on with the Fakely lenses

Ive never owned a pair of glasses that don’t do that tbh..

I recently got a pair of Oakley radars off ebay, and the paperwork that came inside the case with the glasses say ‘These official oakley radar glasses..’

In my opinion they come from the same factory as the Oakley ‘officials’ but have cheaper lenses and avoid the middle man, hence the cheaper price.

martymac

@ johnnystorm
    cheers, found them.
    might try a set in a few weeks, in the meantime ive bid on a pair of fake jawbones to see how they fit me.

plop_pants
    Free Member

I’ve just compared my choakley radars with a friend’s real pair, both white frames with iridium lenses. His frames were everso slightly brighter white and the fit of his were a tiny bit tighter over the ears.
    I prefered his lenses as they had a brownish tint which gives a nicer look to browns and greens. But that was it.

@martymac, you may find the choakley radars will fit close to your eyebrows. Mine do.

voodoo_chile

Ebay link please u buggers !

jota180
    Free Member

Ebay link please u buggers !

the ebay ID is up there ^^^

voodoo_chile

Sorry and thanks amigos

matthewlhome
    Free Member

there’s definitely something weird [optically] going on with the Fakely lenses
    Ive never owned a pair of glasses that don’t do that tbh..

The only glasses i have had that dont do this are Oakleys…

jota180
    Free Member

The only glasses i have had that dont do this are Oakleys…

My Oakleys don’t and neither do my Enduras, i don’t recall my old Rudys doing it either

fathomer

I don’t think my fakelys do to be honest.

zero-cool
    Free Member

It’s not about the frames, it’s about the lenses. Fake lenses can be harmful to your sight if they don’t protect from UVA and UVB as the darker lenses make your pupils dilate letting in more harmful rays. There was an article on it in the BMJ many years ago that sighted decent data and studies (can’t remember where exactly it was as I came across it while researching something else).

scaled
    Free Member

Have a search, someone has done all the uv testing on the old dx lenses (assuming they’re all still the same)

paddy0091
    Free Member

Tempted to get a pair for the commute ride..

^ regarding UV protection, etc. Pretty sure any material has a level of UV protection, even my £1 Primark shades did.

withersea
    Free Member

Just ordered a red pair! Will be putting some original lenses in, so best of both worlds, cheers for the recommendation.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Wonder if the people bidding on eBay for a set of DX Jawbones realise they’re not worth the £60 its already up to. It does say ‘Jawbone style’ so someones going to disappointed…

Northwind

zero cool – Member

It’s not about the frames, it’s about the lenses. Fake lenses can be harmful to your sight if they don’t protect from UVA and UVB as the darker lenses make your pupils dilate letting in more harmful rays.

I’m told it’s harder to make a polycarb lens that isn’t UV-opaque than it is to make one that is. People often mention it as a concern but it’s not a valid one IMO. My £2 safety specs are as UV-protective as a pair of Oakleys.

igm

Is the fact that I can’t find Jawbones on the Oakley site any more (apart from one pair of customs, and if you follow the Jawbone link from there it falls over) anything to do with these very good fakes ie there’s a set of original moulds no longer being used?

clubber
    Free Member

no – as I recall jawbones are being renamed due to another company having already claimed the trademark. race jackets or something as I recall.

clubber
    Free Member

singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/oakley-jawbone-being-discontinued

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Choakleys’ is closed to new replies.