There’s an undiscovered gravel haven with open access, dark starry skies, award-winning ice cream, and endless trails… and it’s not too far away.
Arriving at Gatehouse of Fleet, I realise how many times I’ve driven past the junction on my way to all the more popular riding spots further north in Scotland. Heading north, if you come off at Gretna and turn left you arrive in a spacious, quiet, and idyllic spot with a really inviting holiday feel. Undiscovered is the best word to describe this area for most. Raiders Gravel is hoping to change that.
Raiders Gravel 4-Day Stage Race
I’m here for a taster of the Raiders Gravel race, the UK’s newest gravel event hosted by Canyon. A 4-day gravel stage race starting in Gatehouse of Fleet at the foot of Galloway Forrest Park in October 2021 that promises to be a great adventure. Three timed stages over 200km, with a festival finish.
The stages are a closely guarded secret, but we were given a good feel for the area. Wide open gravel tracks feeding into forests, scenery in every direction, and no killer climbs… Though I’m sure Raiders will find a way to make this race a big challenge worthy of teamwork.
Team Entry includes the following, and much more:
- 4 nights camping pitch
- Sponsor provided participant gifts
- COVID-19 money back guarantee
- Breakfast, stage recovery meals, dinner
- HIGH5 water point nutrition
- MucOff Bike wash and cleaning service
- Secure overnight bike storage
- On course Tech-Zone
- Professional timing and results
- GPS rider tracking
- Leader jerseys for all event categories
- Post-stage finish line nutrition
- Professionally managed routes
- Medical support team
- Professionally marked route
- Lead vehicles and sweep team
- Overnight laundry service
- Exclusive inaugural edition finishers medal
- Team finish line celebration shot
- Free WiFi in the event village
- Charging station (for electronic devices)
- Secure bag drop for mini day bag
Team Entry is based on two riders and is sold in tiers – so the sooner you book the cheaper it is! If you don’t have a partner to ride with, the Lonely Riders Club allows you to give an idea of your fitness, riding style, personality and get matched up with a suitable buddy.
VIP Packages include everything a standard entry does, but your accommodation is one of two very luxurious hotels, Cally Palace Hotel in Gatehouse of Fleet and the Selkirk Arms Hotel in nearby Kirkcudbright.
Check out the Raiders Gravel website for further info.