The Sonder Camino Al is designed to be a capable, tough and nippy adventure bike for big days out exploring. This one has arrived at Singletrack Towers to be tested on our local trails.
A bright glossy paint job on a very neat frame with plenty of bottle bosses, space for frame packs and cockpit accessories. To compliment the eye-catching frame, tan wall tyres and adventure bars finish it off. Let’s take a closer look at this particular model.
There are eight build options in the 2020 Sonder Camino range, and this one sits comfortably in the middle of the pack with an aluminium frame and carbon blade fork, a good balance of affordability, durability and comfort. Sonder reckons that the long wheel base, extended head tube and geometry promotes an upright riding position for all-day comfort.
Love Mud Bomber flared aluminium drop bars are specced for adventure riding on and off road, the wider position designed to giving you extra stability and precision on rough terrain, which I measure at 59cm at the widest point.
The SRAM Rival1 groupset promises to deliver smooth shifting and a good gear range of 1 x 11, with a 11 – 42t cassette. Hydraulic disc brakes should give confidence and reliability across various terrains and riding conditions.
The Love Mud Abode saddle is a high density foam padded seat over a plastic base designed to offer both durability and comfort. Paired with a Love Mud Membar seatpost at 27.2mm, 400mm.
A full build comes with 42mm all weather gravel tyres on Sonder Nova 700c rims, but the frame has clearance for 700c x 50mm or 650b x 2.1” for those wanting added traction and comfort on bumpier terrain.
- Price: £1,299.00
- From: Alpkit
Sonder Camino Al Rival1 Hydraulic Spec List
- Frame // Camino Al Frame [V3]
- Fork // Camino Al Forks [V3]
- Headset // FSA Orbit C-40-ACB Headset / 7.8mm Spacer
- Seat Clamp // Love Mud Gromit / 31.8mm
- Rotors // Avid Centreline Rotor / 160mm
- Rear Mech // SRAM Rival Rear Derailleur / 1 / Long
- Rear Shifter // SRAM Rival 22 Shifters / Hydraulic / Right / Flat
- Chainset // SRAM Rival 1 Crankset GXP / 172.5mm / 40
- Bottom Bracket // SRAM GXP Bottom Bracket / Standard
- Chain // SRAM PC1110 Chain / 118 Links
- Cassette // SRAM PG1130 Cassette / 11 / 11-42
- Stem // Love Mud Storc 31.8mm / 80mm
- Seatpost // Love Mud Membar / 27.2mm / 400mm
- Saddle // Love Mud Abode / Black
- Tape/Grips // Love Mud Reels / Black
- Handlebar // Love Mud Bomber
- Wheels // Love Mud Nova 700c Wheelset / Shimano
- Front & Rear Tyre // WTB Resolute / Comp / 700 / 42
- Tubes // WTB Inner Tube / 700 / 28-38
- Frame only weight // S: 1.9 kg; M: 2.0 kg; L: 2.0 kg; XL: 2.1 kg
I plan to give this a good Lockdown-friendly thrashing over the rough roads and gravel moor top roads out my door. But what do you think of it? Like the colour? Would you prefer ‘normal’ drop bars? Does it seem like a good choice for someone new to the gravel market?