The team behind the hugely popular Naughty Northumbrian mountain bike enduro race has just announced a gravel version, called the Naughty Frontier.
What it ISN’T is a long 200km non-competitive event. What it IS is a multi-stage enduro race for gravel bikes in the style popularised by events like Grinduro. The organisers are promising five timed stages, loads of climbing and descending – and being part of the rest of the Naughty Northumbrian enduro weekend, there’ll be loads of beer, food and socialising to be done.
What’s on offer at the Naughty Frontier
- Date: August 29th, 2020.
- 5 timed stages within a 30-ish mile loop. “These are Northumbrian miles.”
- 5,000 + ft of ascent.
- It retains the social element – There are no set stage start times per rider, simply arrive before the stage closes, and go when you like.
- Utilising the core elements of the valley’s topography – A mixture of gravel track, grass descent, mellow single track and valley-bottom tarmac sections with big vistas.
- Sport Ident timing system.
- A fully sign-marked route.
- Camping, beer, music, games and evening activities.
- Entry is £50 for the day, with camping at £6 a night
So, if you’re looking for some racing inspiration for next year, Naughty Frontier entries are launched on February 1st – put it in the calendar now (or wait until next week, when the new issue of Singletrack Magazine comes out – complete with free calendar…)