As we sit in the depths of winter, it’s nice to spend a bit of time daydreaming and making plans for later in the year – when the days are longer, and weather is hopefully drier and warmer. Our friends over at Brother Cycles got in touch last week to let us know that “Brother in the Wild” is returning for its 3rd year in 2019.
The two day bikepacking, gravel grinding, beer swilling festival has a new and improved base in Dorset – filled with forests, dramatic cliffs, beaches and endless gravel tracks.
Brother says that riders will set up camp in the heart of a nature reserve and spend 2 days exploring the trails that criss cross the region. The routes will dip in and out of local towns with a number of pubs and cafes to stop at – there will also be a number of wild swim spots along the way.
We like Brother’s ethos for the event: it is as much about enjoying time off the bike as on. Back in camp there will be live music, campfires, competitions. There is also the finest local food and drink to keep you going throughout the weekend.
- The Saturday and Sunday routes will be between 30 and 50 miles each
- They will be more technical and a little tougher than in previous years however everyone is strongly encouraged to give them a go – the views are 100% worth it!
- There will be options to cut routes short or extend them for those that want a serious challenge
- The routes are mostly off-road – Brother therefore recommends using a bike with 33c tyres or larger
- Most importantly this is a social ride and not a race – ride as much or as little of the routes as you want
- Ticket holders will be given the exact location nearer the event date – nearest train station is Wareham
- Bring full camping kit as if you were out in the wild
- Hot food, refreshments, fresh water and toilets all on site
- A selection of partner brands will also be set up in camp – more info nearer the event
- Spaces for campervans are available in camp – ticket required
Included with your ticket
- 2 nights camping – riders are welcome to arrive on Friday 17th May
- GPX routes for Saturday and Sunday rides
- Hot dinner on Saturday night – meat and vegan options
- 1 x beer or non-alcoholic drink with dinner
- Brother in the Wild event patch
- Bike wash and lube from Muc-Off
- Welcome goodies from partner brands
- Limited edition 2019 Brother in the Wild t-shirt – £10 with ticket purchase
We’ve not been able to make it to the previous editions of the event, but everything crossed we’ll be able to get down for this! More details here. The event runs from the 17th to 19th of May.