Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 1,201 total)
  • ⛰️ The Hillwalking thread ⛰️
  • Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

We’ve a zwift, runners, brexit, virus thread, how’s about a wee mountain/hill thread?.

What’s yer plans? Favourite hills?, bit of kit chat, anything, there’s loads of us love the mountains.

We’re off to Arran this weekend, yet another day up goatfell on saturday (taking friends who’ve never really spent any time in the hills) and then the NW hills surrounding coire fionn lochan on Sunday.

Forecast is awesome this weekend, anyone heading high?.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Blimey I was literally thinking of starting a thread like this myself this weekend!

I’m hoping to do the Kentmere Round on Sunday with my dog. We’ve been out for the past 3 weekends with my gf to do some proper hills.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Happy days Tom, we were in the lakes last week, was suggesting kentmere horseshoe to Mrs N as well! Enjoy.

MrSparkle

Still ticking the Wainwright’s off. It’s a long term project. We had a good sesh on the hill last weekend and did Bakestall, Great Calva, Knott, Great Scafell, Meal Fell and Great Cockup. Hope to get a few more bagged this w/end.

retrorick

I’m going to up my hill/mountain walking this autumn.
    I’ve just seen some pictures from the top of Great Gable that my brother took today with decent views across to the I.O.M.

claudie

We have three days planned in the Peak District next week and will be staying in hathersage. Our first ever child free holiday in 17 years! Can’t wait …

onewheelgood

I’m looking forward to doing a lot more with my imminent retirement. Ultimate goal is to walk the GR5 from Geneva to Nice – we already did the first bit, as far as Samoens, and it was awesome.

MrSparkle

Great Calva from last week’s excursion.

dovebiker

I’m lucky enough to have this outside my back door – Ben Rinnes, a few hundred feet shy of a munro but a great view from the top. According to the weather forecast, we might get our first dusting of snow tonight, if so I’ll be running up there tomorrow.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Favourite summer hill day of 2020? I don’t think I’ll ever get a more perfect day than we had on Aonach Eagach last month, not a breath of wind, so amazing I took hardly any pics!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEm5DEWHZ5p/?igshid=tm1j7uk7zrfx

tjagain

My main walking thing is multiday trekking AKA wandering around the scenery. From a couple of nights out to an entire fortnight. Retirement plan no 1 is to walk from Stirling to Cape Wrath via all the interesting places. If that goes well we will be off to South America ( covid allowing) with the aim of an unguided walk up a 6000m peak and 6 months trekking in the Andes

Not done a munro for a good few years now.

best recent trip was from Braemore junction near Ullapool to Strathcarron. 5 days walking thru fisherfield to poolewe, 2 days paddle in an open canoe down loch marree camping on an island then another 5 days to walk thru to strathcarron.

Peace of mind and understanding of what is important just comes to you doing this. Got my tent to sleep in, got my dinner organised. Nothing else matters.

A group of us go every may to do a 3 or 4 day trek of some form – thats always fun

Also done some trekking in Majorca, lots in france, a bit in Slovenia. and Italy

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2ev83hp]DSC_0857[/url] by TandemJeremy, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/22iNkq9]IMG_0615[/url] by TandemJeremy, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/sGZTSs]09 sat morning[/url] by TandemJeremy, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nE3XHr]campsite[/url] by TandemJeremy, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/bXjUNw]13 Fafernie top[/url] by TandemJeremy, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/5obu1Z]On top of Kanjavec[/url] by TandemJeremy, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/5ob8Hz]Krn reflected in Krn lake[/url] by TandemJeremy, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/5ofJQw]Dolomites from Krn at dusk[/url] by TandemJeremy, on Flickr

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Great pics TJ.

ElShalimo

@tjagain – nice photo of Suilven

We were up Cul Mor a few weeks ago and the weather was great. We were so lucky!

ElShalimo

Re kit

Any recommendations for a thin pair of waterproof gloves?

I’ve got some OR and Rab softshell gloves and proper winter gloves but a few soakings on recent trips mean that I’m now looking for a thin pair of waterproof gloves. Not Sealskinz though as I find their gloves and socks to be randomly sized, low quality and uncomfortable. Preferably with a tough palm for occasional hands-on rock stuff

matt_outandabout

We’re slowly reaching the end of ‘local’ hills, one ridge left in the Ochills, all the local Munro’s ‘done’, so starting to look back at areas close enough but not visited for a few years.

Places like Angus hills, The Blackmount, the Drumochter Munro’s and North Crianlarich hills.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, I’m making a point of not grabbing all the local stuff and being left with long drives, but it’s inevitable really!.

tjagain

Kit. Loving my custom trekkertent. Made sepecially for me. Its a 3 person drift outer with a two person drift inner so we have loads of space. 1.2 KG
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hga3jn]IMG_1135[/url] by TandemJeremy, on Flickr

Loving our lightwave rucksacs – saved 2 kilos by buying these. some nice CF walking poles as well. Its a bit easy to get carried away tho – I made a wishlist on ultralightweight outdoor gear – nearly 2 grand!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Wife gets a 40% discount at osprey, happy days.

Any shouts for waterproofish softshell trousers? Looking for something nice and bright, blue, orange or the likes, 100 quid budget?

DavidB
    Free Member

I’m just back from a fantastic self supported trip from Glenfinnan to Shiel Bridge. Loved the isolation and challenge of carrying all kit and food. Got badly eaten by insects and have some epic blisters. Can’t wait to be out there again.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Any shouts for waterproofish softshell trousers? Looking for something nice and bright, blue, orange or the likes, 100 quid budget?

I’m looking at the revolution race ones at the moment. Huge range but if you plough through it there will be something. My alpkit ones are just about done, wasn’t really impressed if I’m honest.

tjagain

DavidB -how long did that take you? Its on the route of the big walk we want to do but I fear it will take us longer than the food we can carry. How many miles? what route?

Ta

dyls

I enjoy hiking as well – generally switch between hiking and cycling.

I live in Snowdonia so have some good mountains close by. Have hiked across Majorca (GR11), did the GR20 in Corsica last year (hard), and have just come back from the lakes, did part of the coast to coast across the lakes up to Shap, camping on the way.

DavidB
    Free Member

tj – I did 50 miles leaving Saturday at 10:15 and getting to Shiel Bridge Monday 2pm. Wasn’t hanging about. I walked the Cape Wrath trail route. It is by no means easy with some really challenging boggy bits with a number of tricky navigations. I’m planning on doing the rest of the trail in chunks. It’s probably the hardest walking I’ve done in the UK

tjagain

Ta

whitestone
    Free Member

@tjagain – did you go to the island in a loch on an island in Loch Maree?

@MrSparkle
    – I got to about 160 Wainwrights whilst I lived in the Lakes. Since I moved away thirty years ago I’ve been slowly ticking off the rest but not done any for a few years now. Just got six left (Glaramara, Grange Fell, Great Crag, Armboth Fell, Tarn Crag and Green Crag).

tjagain

No Whitestone – IIRC off limits due to nesting Black throated divers. We did camp on an island which I love doing

nostrils
    Free Member

IMG_20200925_191355_3

Planning an attempt on the Welsh 3000s next summer, currently reassessing my gear, may try to go lighter, either way, it’s going to be a long day out!

scotroutes

Ooh. Definitely “favouriting” this thread. I’ve not done much hillwalking this year, though my tick-list of stuff-to-do is getting longer. For starters, I want to do the wee path that can be seen snaking up near the saddle of my bike in this photo

ElShalimo

Where’s that mountain?

scotroutes

That’s the path up Coire Dhondail. Braeriach to the left.

crikey
    Free Member

Indeedy.
    Spent a chunk of December in Glencoe/Skye/Torridon and was all set to do the same again when the Plague hit. Only really like it in winter and love the lack of people in the hills…

sparksmcguff

Went up Ben McDui last weekend with my youngest and my brother. Clear blue skies, you could see Beannahie in the East across to Ben Nevis in the west. Absolutely amazing.

matt10214
    Free Member

We had a tame hillwalking holiday with my dogs last week. Started in the Yorkshire Dales with a big loop above Reeth, then onto the North Yorks Moors above Osmotherley the next day. Drove to Northumberland after that stopped in Wooler and explored the Cheviots from there.

This was last week so the weather was beautiful if a little hot for the dogs at times.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

In Torridon next week and hoping to spend most of the week walking. Plan on doing Beinn Eighe, Beinn Alligin, Liathach and Slioch but won’t be disappointed if we don’t manage to do them all. Lots of other things we can do. Any recommendations for walks/views/attractions that we shouldn’t miss? We will be camping the whole week in Gairloch.

Was supposed to be hiking the Sierra Nevada and visiting Granada, but covid put a stop to that… Not fussed though, never been to Torridon and everyone keeps telling me to go!

scotroutes

Check out the Fairly Lochs near Sheildaig Lodge.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If anyone wants some inspiration, been enjoying this guys stuff for a while now.

Tom-B
    Free Member

@nostrils the Welsh 3000’s have been on our radar for a few years. We’d probably wild camp and do it across 2 days…. really need some camping gear that is lighter. That tent of yours looks awesome @tjagain

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Murray’s videos are great and his photos are stunning, funnily enough watched that one earlier this evening.

Walk with Wallace also worth a watch.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, he’s very good, really personable and nicely shot.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 1,201 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.