Viewing 40 posts - 1,081 through 1,120 (of 2,382 total)
  • Zwift Team Time Trial, Thursday
  • dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Hope you perk up James.

oopnorth
    Free Member

Well done guys…some impressive wattage being pushed out there! Nice to see both teams pulling similar times.

scaredypants

Yeah, I was glad to see the back of the hill too – though I needed a mile or two of hanging on to recover (amazing how realistically shit my zwift climbing is, though I see that three of our team were “climbers” and as Woodster says had to mash out a lot of w/kg overall to stay with the larger three).

The draft is weird, how you can get stuck behind a rider. I did briefly behind the first one we passed, and I also often found it quite hard to pass our lead rider smoothly – seems like you have to smash round and then back off and I’m not good at the technique.

paino

Not quite sure if I enjoyed that or not. ZP said I averaged 4w/kg, which I can believe given my legs feel like lead now. Not quite sure what happened to Martin, 10 seconds down at the start so guessing he missed Phil’s count down. Some of those solo guys clearly don’t get the nature of the event-considering we’re already at least 30 secs up on them they continue to ride in the draft!

scaredypants

munkeymadness, you only have to change yr zwiftpower tag so you’re fine, by the way

(not looking forward to “racing” some of you lighter gents in Robbo’s round6)

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Not quite sure if I enjoyed that or not. ZP said I averaged 4w/kg,

You and Phil were doing a damn good job pulling on the front. You both judged it well and never noticeably gaped third or fourth wheel

w00dster

The draft is really difficult to judge. My plan was to do 400 metres on the front at 10% above ftp, then sit in the pack for 2km at 10% below ftp. (My FTP is 263 and 69kgs)
    I would go to front at 290 watts, then get over taken after about 15 seconds. Then if I eased too much I’d be being told to Close The Gap. To get to the front and stay there I’d have to smash and maintain over 300 watts, which wouldn’t be sustainable for me.

haloric
    Free Member

Not quite sure how to improve my climbing, but enjoyed that nonetheless. I felt I could have gone a little harder on the flats after the hill if needed, but not much.

Talked to Martin afterwards, he finished about 3k down on us. He heard the countdown ok, but he is on a watt bike, and was also at the back of the pen, and it may be that that is causing the delay. His previous starts have been similarly slow. He was putting in a lot of watts to catch us, but it was not happening.

Have talked him through how to shoot the gate, so hopefully starts will improve. I could hear Phil but most of the rest was garbled.

Roll on the day when Zwift puts some dev love into the TTT.

drew

I enjoyed that too in a strange kind of way. Had to dig quite deep on the hill and out of the desert (missed out on the cake) and legs are a bit achy now. Big thanks to Savoyad for organising and those working hard on the front and for not dropping me. I feel I should be having a recovery shake or something similar but am currently tucking into a bowl of pasta and have opened tomorrow’s bottle of red wine.

nixie

How did you do?

Team I was in are currently nicely placed in Frappe, though I blew up after screwing my position up and letting a gap open.

savoyad

We are sitting 37th in latte and 203rd in frappe overnight.
    Your team sitting in 2nd place is mighty impressive. Congrats. I doubt you’ll go down much, if at all, from there?

nixie

Nice, good job.

The first place fcancer team will be dq’ed again so everyone moves up one (they are 10mims ‘faster’ than the lead espresso!). Yes draft did great, they were epic after I blew.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Team I ride for (WKG Torture) did well tonight. Currently placed 24th overall in Espresso with a time of 38:55. We lost a rider within 10 mins due to internet drop outs so happy with our time. We’ve been racing the TTT for a good 8-9 months now so we’re quite a well drilled team. We try to do a big effort for 30secs on the front then drop to the back of the line to recover whilst everyone else moves up one. Using discord has made a massive difference, if someone needs to miss a turn to recover more they shout up. Better doing this than blowing up to early and getting spat out of the back. A bigger group equals bigger rests for everyone and consequently a faster time.

nixie

Nice time. Drilling is key, so much time to be made at points a lot of teams are in recovery mode.

robbo1234biking

Well done @nixie. Looks like you won a gold medal! Have you got stream of your race?

37/250 in Latte isn’t a bad result – something to aim for next year!

Back to Harrogate next Thursday!

nixie

Hell yes, so great. 😃

I’ve a stream from my pov till I blew and there is a stream from the lead rider till the end. I’ll post them up in a bit.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Do you get a rainbow Jersey too wear on Tuesday?

robbo1234biking

I am afraid we don’t recognise WTRL or UCI events.

nixie

That would be cool but I don’t think so.

weeksy

I am afraid we don’t recognise WTRL or UCI events.

harsh man, harsh 😀

yanboss

@woodster maybe aim for +-20%, seemed to work for me, ftp 290. I was aiming for about 350 on the front but then I’m definitely no climber so that course suited me.

https://zwiftinsider.com/speed-tests-ttt/ looks at how much you can save in the draft. And how much quicker taking turns really pushing on the front then recovering is.

Also just having more people in the pack makes it easier to drop into and recover so even if everyone doesn’t hit the front it still makes it easier for those that do.

nixie

@robbo1234biking feeds here;

Mine: https://youtu.be/DvwKe0b7U2M (start at 25 minutes, currently being trimmed)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/816672114 (whole event)

savoyad

The streams of @nixie’s race are sobering (although let’s bear in mind it’s a world championship winning ride we’re watching…).
    – there is constant talking. the discord overlay on nixie’s screen is like continual fireworks.
    – the level of organisation (calling the next two to pull repeatedly, allocating people based on their characteristics, like urging one rider to go before he runs out of time to recover before the hill…)
    – the length and power of the pulls – look at @nixie’s effort round the bottom of the volcano.

It’s a totally different approach. This is why I like latte – we can be competitive without the kind of commitment shown here. The step up to competing in frappe is more than just extra power. It’s a whole mentality change.

savoyad

Back on planet earth, I thought our teams did great last night. We rode fast – team PB’s for the course – and as tight units. We only lost riders to early issues rather than burning them off. A pretty successful evening!

Brian bickering in the chat was entertaining too. Made me excessively suspicious of that particular rider, and I ended up urging us past him to a probably-paranoid degree when our turn to overtake him arrived.

nixie

Tom’s organisation is absolutely top draw, this win has been planned to the nth degree for the last 10 weeks cycling riders in and out of squads to find the best combination. A load of our Bs made A along the way! He is also the DS for our super fast premier league team that has won that event several times. We have a plan prior to the event and stick to it. You can see the effort in the pulls, at the point I was dropped I’d just done a decent effort and the next one through was pulling at 6Wpkg! One split second of lower power and there was a gap I couldn’t recover after a pull as the gap opened super quick (in a normal event that was totally retrievable). With hindsight that volcano pull was perhaps to hard for too long!

robbo1234biking

Impressive ride @nixie and your team. how do you overlay discord like that?

@phil56
    what microphone are you using? You seem to be clearest out of everyone.

Also important to note that BRT get rests on the downhills lol there was eve some supertucks!

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Also important to note that BRT get rests on the downhills lol there was eve some supertucks!

Quitters

robbo1234biking

I think you were too busy virtually shouting at that guy to have any rest Brian!

phil56

I have these
    Avanca D1 Sports

I got them from Sports Pursuit for about £25 I think

savoyad

Discord overlay is in the settings @robbo1234biking (app settings -> overlay; you might need to add zwift in app settings -> game activity too). But whatever I choose, I can only get it to appear in that top left portion on top of the power etc for zwift. I’m guessing @nixie has the same problem?

“This is a team event….and you don’t have one.” haha.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

“This is a team event….and you don’t have one.” haha.

I think its very much exacerbated in the TTT by having latte in A, the problem being you’ve got people entering that really are A and absolutely don’t grasp why you’re getting cross they’re not easing up when they’re holding your group at a C pace, if they reorganised the pens so espresso were in A, Frappe B, latte C they’d likely never get in the way.

nixie

Thanks @robbo1234biking

Some rest on the downhills, some don’t. It’s not meant as a rest period, there is time to be made.

I’ve only ever had the overlay in the top left, anywhere else would annoy me I think. It doesn’t bother me that it is over the power as my phone is also reporting that.

robbo1234biking

OK had a play over lunchtime with Discord and overlays and you can put it where you want it.

First image shows it under the status bar.

Second image shows the overaly option menu (use your overlay short cut key to bring this up). If you look on the title bar next on STW Voice there are 8 little dots. Click and drag on here and you can move it where you want. The trouble being that the screen is already pretty crowded!

Screenshot from last nights race – it could go under the power output but would disappear when the route PR tab comes up and I think you can only have that on always or sometimes.

savoyad

Not sure what zwift thought @trolo1234 was doing in that last screenshot. Going for a swim?

I didn’t know you could drag the overlay. I choose a screen quarter in the settings but it ignores my choice. Bottom left is where I’ll put it. All you get there is stuff you don’t need in a ride – the menu button, the end ride button – and the “stop watching @scaredypants and return to your own race” button when something goes weird (and I didn’t even see that for 30 secs when it was there)

robbo1234biking

There were a couple of wierd time gaps to MoreSTW last night when I was keeping an eye on you. Glad you didn’t catch us actually. Prob would have ruined both times.

For the Xmas eve ttt is there an earlier time slot (like mid afternoon) have the day off so could ride then but evening isn’t going to be an option. No offence but a excited 6 year old, Arthur Christmas and pizza takes precedence!

scaredypants

the “stop watching @scaredypants and return to your own race” button

Look out for a new 24/7 scaredycam feature coming in the new year. Just working out the image rights now

There were a couple of wierd time gaps to MoreSTW last night

Do you mean fluctuating or just that we seemed to start slowly? We started slowly

robbo1234biking

The gaps between your team members were fluctuating between 30 and 50 seconds so I wasn’t sure how far behind you were. I assumed you hadn’t split by that much.

robbo1234biking

Some interesting info about the times for the event from the WTRL Facebook

The official race time starts at banner drop – that is the same for all races and is held and maintained by Zwift servers.

Your onscreen clock starts somewhere else (the same place your fit files for strava etc start) – usually quite a way outside the pen area. This is why we never use your Strava data as it is a bit like a racer claiming their wrist watch time is correct over the official race timer. That is the same for all races and your onscreen clock is locally generated – it is not connected to Zwift in any way. this is another reason for using a stop watch from banner drop rather than a wall clock as unless your wall clock is perfectly in sync with the Zwift server time, you’ll likely be leaving very late or early.
    There is a limit to the number of people leaving the pen early before a WTRL flag system is engaged (this is what the flashing red warning triangles are on the results page).

To get your official TTT time, essentially you can take the official Zwift Race time (look in the race results of the companion app) and subtract your start delay. If the team triggers the flag system (WTRL proprietary system – not Zwift), the team gains a time correction and a penalty. Once that is applied, the red flashing triangle turns off.

haloric
    Free Member

The gaps between your team members were fluctuating between 30 and 50 seconds so I wasn’t sure how far behind you were. I assumed you hadn’t split by that much.

I also saw this and thought MoreSTW had split, quite disconcerting to see it come and go. It didn’t help that I was not sure what your relative start delay was, so thought you had taken a minute out of us.

w00dster

That’s strange how you were seeing time splits, apart from the first 500 metres we were blobbed together. Even on climbs I don’t think we had more than a second between us. We very quickly lost 20 seconds to you guys but then made 10 seconds back on the first climb. We were at 40 seconds gap for a while.
    The timings are weird, when I look at Zwift Power we got a gold medal a few weeks ago, this appears to be time corrected (deducting our wait time). However the last race hasn’t been time corrected so it just looks to be in order of when people left the pens.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,081 through 1,120 (of 2,382 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.