Viewing 40 posts - 15,201 through 15,240 (of 15,383 total)
  • Zwift, my journey, my weight and my fitness.
  • mossimus
    Free Member

That was hard work, combined with last night the legs are now totally gone. I got an out of category warning when I entered the race but no cone, obvs didn’t put out enough watts. Due to combination of injury, lazyitis and beer have put on 8kg over last two months so w/kg has gone down. Good effort all round STW and Well done Kirky think you will end up first on ZP.

Got a power up that looked like some sort of vehicle but not van, WTF is that?

weeksy

Steamroller. Stops the cobbles if you have a terrain trainer.

mossimus
    Free Member

Have Kickr so no. Had that for the last lap but was too scared to use it:)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    notmyrealname
    Free Member

That was bloody hard work!

8th out of 11, not exactly great but consdering my lack of riding and the fact I’ve not raced for abot four years I can’t complain!

oopnorth
    Free Member

That Steamroller…what I read yesterday was that it smooths the dirt areas on Zwift, like the jungle for example, for road bikes so that you don’t have that horrible draggy feeling for 30 seconds. It also said you can use it on the bridge and inside the mountain section of the jungle to speed up the MTB in those areas where it becomes slower than a road bike.

Also works on cobbles I think

robbo1234biking

That was good fun over a lunchtime. I need to ride smarter on that course – though. Put out too many watts early on I think and legs just went after the last climb.

Last night I got a new 15min average power best at 298w – managed 303w for 15 min today.

Well done – weeksy, kirky and mossimus

I might make that my Wednesday lunchtime workout now.

EDIT: Oh and a 1w FTP increase to 281w so only 3w of my summer peak now – just need to push through it this time on the way to 300w!

kirky72
    Free Member

Nah me and Steve who finished an hair in front of me, both booted at 3.7 and 3.6. Steve’s says UPG so take it he should be upgrading, mine is still WKG, so wkg too high yet the guy in first averaged 4.5 must be a little one at 44kg. Oh well. I think I’ll ride B for shorter or flattish watt bomb races and c only for hilly and longer races until I’m forced to do b for all.

I spotted Weeksy had edged onto the protium, well done it was tough at the pointy end. I was hoping for a feather as well.

Got a ghost which isn’t too useful on that course, in the opposite direction it’s handy though. Good to carry it and drop it just before the banner and the rollers, really go for it and hope to get a feather as you pass through then you can open a gap and power up the hill without giving a free tow to everybody behind so really splits the group. Tactics😎

weeksy

I might make that my Wednesday lunchtime workout now.

I’m always up for lunch rides.

I’m afraid i’m out of your series though. I slept terribly last night waking up about 10 times with twitchy legs !!

weeksy

the guy in first averaged 4.5 must be a little one at 44kg

showing as being a U20, which really must put him about 13 as that’s my lads weight lol.

Friday mornings at 9:45 there’s usually 2-3 teenagers.. although why they’re not at school i have no idea.

weeksy

I was a gnats whisker away from being dropped 3rd time up the hill, Robbo, Moss and Kirky all went with Bouton at 5w/kg…. if the guy in front of me hadn’t dropped an aero at the exact right time, i’d have been shelled out.

robbo1234biking

I’m afraid i’m out of your series though. I slept terribly last night waking up about 10 times with twitchy legs !!

Not an option I am afraid – already done your handicap for next week!

weeksy

lol sorry boss, i ain’t playing. As you’ve seen, in the right races, i’m not quite as rubbish as i seem in your series. Play to your strengths 🙂

robbo1234biking

Play to your strengths 🙂

..but grow your weaknesses…or something like that!

Its shame you cant select the crit circuit for meetup – would make for a good fun alternative on the series.

kirky72
    Free Member

It is tough riding at night just as my bodies winding down for the day. Didn’t stop sweating last night until about 2am, 2 showers just seemed to make it worse.

However there’s really no other option is there other than a weekend morning and that will still probably be less popular. It’s tough to please a majority and impossible for everybody.

weeksy

Absolutely Kirky, i’m not criticising in any way at all, i completely get it… It’s just that for me, other times work a lot better.

Garry_Lager

See this vid here with Chris Pritchard roasting BC for their choice of UK e-cycling squad – they have largely drawn from athletes in their own structure (e.g. Ed Clancy, Andy Tennant) who don’t have much / any zwift experience, and overlooked the top amateur riders who currently win on zwift.

Is he talking bobbins do you think? I reckon he’s over-playing the depth of zwift racing massively and any of these athletes can pick it up very rapidly, so drawing from the elite ranks probably makes sense. As long as they take it seriously…

weeksy

Hmm yes and no.

Watching this years worlds on Zwift a couple of riders at times did arguably out perform their real world rides on Zwift, plenty of times the Pros races the Zwift best, both ladies and blokes and were found wanting.

I think that comes down to knowing the drafting, knowing the quirks of the course, the delays in trainer responsiveness and reactions to pack moves. Along with sprinting etc.

Some of the Zwift superstars have gone on to race outdoors and are arguably not quite as good outdoors as their Zwift rides, for exactly the same reasons, but in reverse.

I’m going to make the assumption that riders like Clancy will train on Zwift and train on the actual courses and he’ll fly…. I’ve seen him in plenty of short Crits and there’s little doubt he’s fast as heck… I also think his rider profile in some ways will suit Zwift racing too if on the right course.

Looking back at Team Sky when they raced a few months back, Rohan Dennis cleared off every single time on Zwift, but didn’t quite do it outside once they went back on the roads… Why is that… I dunno.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

One of the big differences of pros Vs Zwift elite is the pros put out alien power levels while being more aero. On the turbo, you can set your bars up high and put out good numbers while being as aero as a brick.

weeksy

On the turbo, you can set your bars up high and put out good numbers while being as aero as a brick

Welcome to me on my 29er HT 🙂

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Right, I’m looking to get some fitness back as I’ve had a lousy year on the bike this year and have a couple of bigger rides I want to complete next year.

I’ve just got the Kickr set up and after the attempt at a crit race yesterday, it’s recommended me an FTP of 218W. When I was a distinctly average mtb racer my FTP was 284, if I remember correctly, so I’ve got a way to go.

I struggle to follow proper training plans due to my shift work so often need to make it up as I go along to some extent. I’m thinking that three sweetspot sessions a week and a sub hour long Zwift race a week should see some improvements. I’ll be riding outdoors/commuting where possible rather than just sticking to the turbo.

Does that sound about right?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

@notmyrealname I’ve just started this “back to fitness” plan that is fairly new on Zwift, as a way to try and get some structured training routine going again after a blighted year, but with them being just two small sessions a week I can hopefully still throw in some TTs and races without overtraining.

https://whatsonzwift.com/workouts/back-to-fitness/

notmyrealname
    Free Member

That looks interesting. Shouldn’t be too much to fit around other riding and life in general!

weeksy

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=1236574

Massive massive C field in this one today… Wasn’t planning on it, but 16:30 works well enough for me and a layout i like…. I’m tempted.

robbo1234biking

A rider aged 9 and 29kg! Good luck weeksy. I need to have a rest today!

weeksy

I think lowest weight Zwift registers is 45kg, so you can go lower, but it won’t see it as lower. Unless that’s changed

tomlevell

It changed earlier in the year.
    Massive outcry from overweight middle aged men getting spanked on hilly courses due to the “rules”.
    :0)

weeksy

LOL i’ve had it every Friday morning in the Crits against 2 lads who are 13, Maxx Nuspann and the other kid i forget, but they kill us every Friday.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Competed in the today’s race of the WKG winter race league today. 12 laps of the Hilly route reverse so 68 miles (that included going up the Zwift island climb 12 times 🤮)The first 3-4 laps were insane, I was on the limit all the time. I don’t really do group races, only the TTT on a Thursday and the odd individual TT so got caught out a few times with splits occurring then having to pull my tripe out to get back on again. Going up the Zwift climb on the 5th lap I lost the wheel and I was spat out of the back along with three other A’s. We tried to get back on again but failed. Then we noticed a big group of B riders (must’ve been 10 +) coming up behind us so we all joined forces and managed to catch the A riders again. On the last lap I got dropped again on the climb (my legs were shot by now 😩) so rolled in to the finish. Managed to come 10th (out of 21 A’s) so happy with my result. Especially as I averaged 4W/kg (305W) for just over two and a half hours, haven’t put that amount of power out since this my long distance TT’s I did this summer.

scaredypants

Wow, andy.w, that’s some output for a long ride

In lower-wattage news, I’m getting back near to pre-COVID form (stopped riding hard and was just ticking over all summer in case I caught it. Still not smashing it). Did a crit-city 16km B race today and surprised myself by making the front group. No way was I going to win but reckoned I could sit in and then had a sort of drop-out at half way where the field didn’t disappear for any length of time but just flickered & “moved” 5 seconds up the road. Couldn’t get that back as I was working pretty hard already so went back to the next group. Won or came 2nd in that “sprint” so pretty happy but … bah

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

Had that myself on the TTT. One minute everything’s going swimmingly then bang, I’m three seconds off the back and have to work really hard to get back on. Really annoying!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

another Monday another 18:15 Seaside Sprint race, first time I’ve been on the bike since last monday need to get some consistency in, anyway, the start wasn’t nearly as hard as last week, made sure i got further up near the front and it seemed to work out better. still hard but didn’t feel i was playing catch up, big bunch of A’s and a few B’s including myself got away, that soon split and I ended up in a group with about 7 or 8 A’s no one was pushing so sat in, guess their race was over, could see there was a group behind getting closer, think they got to about 5 seconds but the pace increased for the last 4km and they never closed, a solo B had got dropped from the front group and was getting ever closer, saved a feather for 2 laps to use on the hill before the downhill, was on the front of the group midway down the hill, eased off to try and muster a sprint 3rd on the road in B, originally showed 2nd but reshuffled moments last, the solo B stayed away, a wee strava stalk suggests the 334w he did doesn’t really translate into his real world rides and other zwift races,

ZP is where it counts though, and that has me 1st ! and 13 seconds back to 2nd – ill take that all day

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=1249859

weeksy

Great reports and even better riding lads 🙂

weeksy

12:32 then tomorrow I think. Short Crit before I then head out to the woods with my lad.

weeksy

changed plan and i’m going for longer and different, i may die 1/2 way through 🙂

11:20am at Volcano CCW.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Strava is running like a dog, presumeably Zwift is/was…

Just seen Erin Min’s Thanksgiving Ride started at 1500 GMT!

AD

Tried 5 mins of that Thanksgiving ride – got as far the first bridge!!! Decided on a different course 😃
    Zwift definitely isn’t any good for 3000 people on the same ride!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

different one today, 9km race, cobbled climbs reverse, didn’t really feel like it today, i don’t think ive ever felt so knackered as i do at the minute, however, while i was never going to win todays race, i do like races where i just hang on as long as i can, and with 9km, there’s no endless drag to the finish, and i finished bang mid pack, i don’t actually know where i got dropped off the front, stayed with a little bunch of 5 and won the sprint for nothing,

here’s the thing though, red numbers on ZP – best ever power for a zwift race, 3w higher (324w) than last year in a similar 9km race, both mid 13 minute races, , and best 15 second power at 9.5w/kg, must have got the sprint bang on

and this is off more or less zero riding, last 4 weeks have been 1hr 18m, 46m, 40m, 1hr 23m

weird

savoyad

I was gutted to strip thread in my crank and have to drop out off last night’s STW race, so I fitted a new chainset this morning and entered the Road to Ruins race mid-morning to atone. Race went well. Was fun to see Louis Meintjes appear at the front of the race. I never saw him again when the road went uphill straight after this though:

kirky72
    Free Member

I thought that I should sample a cat B race today after being upgraded in zwiftpower, I haven’t raced one since last year and was at the tail end.

The 12.05 3r volcano reverse, 8 laps. The A and B seemed to set off together or at least joined to recreate our previous series race around the same track. Cat bs including myself trying to hang onto the A’s for as long as possible. We managed 6 laps at a sickening pace before an handful of the strongest a riders broke away.

I seemed to be hitting that one switch back climb early to give myself a chance and then a small pack of mainly a would pass just before the final switchback, I was most of the time the bridging to the front group and towing the others back on with me. On the sixth lap I thought I may get dropped at any point so decided to do the same again but this time I purposefully left a bit of gap in front of me and didn’t bridge hoping the next guy behind would get caught in my sticky draft and make it hard for the two groups to rejoin. This worked a treat and we fell into a chase group going at a slight more manageable pace.

I hung in there to the end and just about managed to muster a little extra for the uphill sprint but only gained ground on two or three positions. I managed to finish in the top three abs, tied in second and 1sec behind first, only beaten time wise by the first 6 cat A riders.

The result of all this, as happened in our volcano race and trying to keep up with nixie, Phil and co is that I averaged 289w and my FTP as increased to 284.

I’ll post the change on the race bread just so Robbie sees it, it’s only damaging my slim chance of doing anything up the KOM next week a little more but full transparency and all that.

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=1293797

savoyad

Top ride @kirky72. You’ve been on fire recently – not surprised to see all those red numbers clustering at the top of your zp profile.

Viewing 40 posts - 15,201 through 15,240 (of 15,383 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.