• This topic has 15,382 replies, 380 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Caher.
Viewing 40 posts - 13,241 through 13,280 (of 15,383 total)
  • Zwift, my journey, my weight and my fitness.
  • tomhoward

Any links? I saw on Twitter (I think) that Thomas DeGent had had a wee tongue in cheek jibe at Zwift for kicking him out but didn’t see any more.

As a professional cyclist, he can happily hold 8.4w/kg for a while (he’s 69kg, so about 580w). Zwift is designed for mortals, so assumes anything that high is being done by nefarious means, either by weight doping or machine, so they kicked him out. As more an more pros are using it, they are looking at ways of changing it.

I’ve had to bow out of zwift for now, tried to go as hard as I could for as long as I could, did 700+ watts for a minute or so, the stress that has put on my foot may have broken it. So can’t even ride indoors now 😤

ratherbeintobago

Using a basic setup (based on what I could borrow…).

Rollers, speed sensor and HR.

When I come to a hill, Zwift slows my virtual speed to (sometimes below) walking pace. Anyone know why?

nixie

Because your going up hill.

nixie

To expand zwift works on power not speed. If you feed it speed data that it estimates power based on the power curve of the dumb trainer you are using. Same power going uphill means lower in game speed.

ratherbeintobago

Aye, I get that, but there’s lower and there’s 4 km/h

zilog6128

how are you getting Power to Zwift… Virtual Power based on the speed sensor? Is it configured correctly? What sort of power reading does it show on Zwift when you’re on the flat & going up a hill?

IvanDobski
    Free Member

If you’ve put in your correct weight and the correct roller type then that’s the speed you would be going for the power you’re putting out.

I think the default weight is 75kg so if you’re below this then you’re making life harder for yourself.

weeksy

Weight now sitting at 14st 4… or 90kg… Apart from one week back in 2017 when i was about this, i’m at my lowest adult weight.

Without wanting to completely derail the thread. 2 weeks ago i went Gluten Free for another issue i’ve got… since then i’ve dropped 4lb. I’ve not had any pasta and the bread has all been GF (and bloody rubbish too). But seems a coincidence… Hmmmm

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

But seems a coincidence

It’s no coincidence. There really are a lot of calories in things like pasta and bread.

The GF stuff is crap so you eat less of it.

nixie

Nice one weeksy.

ratherbeintobago

@zilog6128

Speed sensor and calculated power for rollers. Managing a mighty 80W – no idea if this is a sensible number or utter bollocks.

weeksy

The GF stuff is crap so you eat less of it.

Ain’t that the truth!

weeksy

Speed sensor and calculated power for rollers. Managing a mighty 80W – no idea if this is a sensible number or utter bollocks

Now we need to be careful here as we’ve upset a few with comments. But, 80w is very very low. That’s for example about 6-8mph on a flat road outside to give an indication. So, if you can ride at say 15mph outside normally, then something is wrong with your figures.

If you go out riding and are overtaken by walkers, then maybe it’s correct

ratherbeintobago

Figures are wrong then.

Any idea how I can rectify?

mossimus
    Free Member

Anyone had an invite to and joined the Jarvis Club? Apart from a couple of club only events doesn’t seem to offer much. Guess once you can setup your own clubs it will become more use, STW only races etc.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

I’ve joined, it’s basically an activity feed limited to other team members. Currently there’s no club-only events or kit etc.

tomlevell

#ratherbeintobago email Zwift support although they may be slow at the moment due to current demand…
    Try googling your rollers and zwift and see if others have had similar.

What’s your heart rate doing at 80w?
    Mine would be sat at the bottom of Zone1 at that power for example.

You could always choose a different set of rollers on the virtual power screen and see if it helps.

Kryton57

Club kit is possible and coming with Club associations, our club are talking with Zwift about it.  As above though it may not be until the end of the Summer, currently.

Best way we’ve found is to organise a meet like Weeksy is doing and turn the rubber band on on, using Zoom as comms.  Everyone rides how they like, group stays together and you can have a chat without losing each other in the masses.

weeksy

Best way we’ve found is to organise a meet like Weeksy is doing and turn the rubber band on on, using Zoom as comms. Everyone rides how they like, group stays together and you can have a chat without losing each other in the masses

I think some of the group would find that irritating though, both the front guys and the back guys.

At the front, the lads like to push on and give themselves some work, especially in the last 15 mins, which you won’t do quite as effectively if there’s no reward IMO. Same at the back, a couple of the guys are pushing themselves harder than usual to stay in the groups, would they give that extra bit more if they knew the game would put them back in the bunch anyway, i doubt it.

Being able to turn it on-off during the event would be great, so over an hour ride, have it on for 30mins so the group holds together, then unleash it in the last 30.

At the moment, on the right course, i think because of online friendships and respect it works really well anyway in the STW rides.

piemonster

I’m Oooh I managed to get the Goat Jersey

Had it for less than a minute mind you 😆 are all the fast rider on Richmond?

mossimus
    Free Member

Club kit is possible and coming with Club associations, our club are talking with Zwift about it. As above though it may not be until the end of the Summer, currently.

currently this is a manual process at Zwift’s end and they approve very few club kits due to resources. There aim is to automate this as part of the club functionality. This is covered in this weeks Zwiftcast podcast.

amodicumofgnar

there are also different bonuses for power and speed.

Ah yes. I spotted those. Unfortunately I’m like a small child collecting badges so it seems I’m doomed, there’s one for hitting 1200W…

I started on the Everest challenge – original plan was to finish it with a trip up the Alp. Come back down and finally nail the 100kph badge after a few close bu no cigars in on the mast climb and in New York. Think it’ll take me half dozen island runs to get it the Everest now. About 3 weeks or so maybe less on current performance.

Not really feeling it today – whole 1 watt a kilo / there’s about 98kg of me. Tuesday or Wednesday for next go.

zilog6128

I started on the Everest challenge

of course, once you’ve done that, you’ll need to do it again 5-ish times 😂 (to unlock the only thing on Zwift worth unlocking!!)

amodicumofgnar

of course, once you’ve done that, you’ll need to do it again 5-ish times 😂 (to unlock the only thing on Zwift worth unlocking!!)

We could be here for a very long long long time for that. Should have started at this Zwift thing last year or the year before. I could taken the prize for slowest tron laps by now.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

(to unlock the only thing on Zwift worth unlocking!!)

Blood alcohol wattage compensation? Cake stops?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I keep seeing mention of ftp here and on the social thread so seems a sensible place to ask:

For those a bit more versed in these things, how accurate is the ride based ftp on Zwift vs a proper test?

I tried the ramp test this morning and scored a bit lower than I guessed (emphasis on guess) and lower than the zwift scored me after the hour’s social on Tuesday. The test seemed to require me to spin like mad rather than upping resistance though so by the time I got to peak I had to maintain about 130rpm to hold power which broke me. (I tend to ride at about 60-70 so even the recommended 85-90 feels wrong).

A quick 20 minute post lunch ride bumped my ftp back up, a bit higher than expected but actually felt more like a genuine representation of effort rather than inability to spin, so now I’m all confused.

llama

I got to peak I had to maintain about 130rpm

Try a bigger gear on the bike

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Try a bigger gear on the bike

That was as big as the bike goes, was 48:10 so not piddly.

weeksy

Never done one, don’t see the point. Racing flat out gives me 292w as my FTP, but in races it irrelevant what your FTP is as you’ll never need it. You mostly need 1 min power and 20 min can be a reasonable variation on it. 1 min power being the essential one and from a maxed HR. Every one of my last 10 races on short circuits come down to the final 500m. The 25 mins before that is just about holding position.

Sure to set your training structure you’ll need an FTP I guess, but if riding and racing, that number doesn’t matter

AD

2363 in the Haute Route ride – go me 🙂

And a full 23 minutes slower than my fastest time up the alp – Quite a few drop-outs due to number of riders but I don’t think there were 23 minutes worth…

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

My wife has decided she’d like to try Zwifting, so I thought it would be a good opportunity to upgrade to a wheel off trainer and fob her off with my Tacx Vortex. Turns out, most of the wheel off trainers are sold out and the one I originally ordered when it was showing ‘in stock’ is now on backorder until end of June 😀 As a result, I have just grabbed a set of second hand Elite ‘smart’ rollers – never tried rollers before, and a quick Google suggests everything from “it’ll take you 15 mins to get used to them” to “death awaits you!!”. If I don’t turn up for the next group ride, could you check I’m not trapped upside down in my garage!

piemonster

Was it you that got the curtain jammed in your rear wheel?

mooman
    Free Member

I dont think rollers are something i would want to use for Zwift races. I am confident on rollers, but riding them whilst going deep chasing a break is a clear recipe for disaster id say!

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

but if riding and racing, that number doesn’t matter

That makes me feel a bit better. I’d assumed it was important so the uppy downy nature of it I think which “worried” me

weeksy

In the training program they take your FTP then your efforts are gauged against it, e.g 3 mins at 250w which is say 125% of FTP, but other than that, it’s just a number you can theoretically hold for a set time.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Haute routes been good fun

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Was it you that got the curtain jammed in your rear wheel?

That was indeed me – curtains have now been tidied away to prevent future occurrences. To avoid any confusion, these were fabric curtains in the window, not the ‘beef’ variety 🙂

tomlevell

Took me about a year to get the Tron bike once I actually started on the second part of the challenge. Didn’t go looking for just climbing routes to unlock it.
    Haven’t used it yet as I prefer normal looking bikes.

BadlyWiredDog

As a professional cyclist, he can happily hold 8.4w/kg for a while (he’s 69kg, so about 580w). Zwift is designed for mortals, so assumes anything that high is being done by nefarious means, either by weight doping or machine, so they kicked him out. As more an more pros are using it, they are looking at ways of changing it.

Apparently there was a glitch in the Zwift software – normally they have higher limits for bona fide, verified pro riders, but for some reason that didn’t work.

J-R

Trail Rat – I’m doing stage 3 at 1000. It’s been good.

Couldn’t see any STW riders yesterday 5pm – but got a few STW ride ons. So weird, but thanks boys.

Viewing 40 posts - 13,241 through 13,280 (of 15,383 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.