• This topic has 15,382 replies, 380 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Caher.
Viewing 40 posts - 12,201 through 12,240 (of 15,383 total)
  • Zwift, my journey, my weight and my fitness.
  • tomlevell

I’ve stalled badly.
    Need races with some high ranked opponents but all I can find is out of category B riders.

I think I’ll be promoted before I can get much lower

weeksy

I feel your pain there matey. I was thinking of a short hard one this afternoon as nothing else suits… All the riders are 600.00 So bugger all use to me really.
    But there’s no other events that suit me in either distance or layout etc.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Trying to decide if I’m up for a race this afternoon or not after doing the “Mountain” circuit yesterday afternoon to complete the Giro Castelli. Took it very steady to the base of the radio tower climb with 34/16 at 25% slope, this naturally put me into VO2 Max up the radio tower at ~293W average, then switched to 50/16 to descend and finish the lap. Ended up with 20min interval starting from the radio tower base of 280W, just below my recent 20mins best of 288W, not that I had any idea at the time… I was simply trying to make the second half of the ride more of a workout!

Today the choice for me looks like 1700 6 laps of Laguardia, or the 1730 Tick Tock “handicap” TT, 18/19Km respectively. ~30mins to decide if I’m up for either and then get ready.

weeksy

I did the very short 1 lapper of the volcano.
    https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=263285

Basically got it tactically wrong. Pace was ok and never really hammered my HR but by the same account, I never really got going. I was swapping between a spinny gear and a grindy gear without actually wanting either as they were both not quite right. Add to that, some tired legs from Sat outdoors and Sunday race, well, it all just went a bit meh.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Entered the 1700, got dropped by groups through the race, but happy to average 285W and finish just over 27mins…

Which then made decide to enter the 1730 TT (and by luck my group left at 1734) just to make sure my legs were wrecked and managed to average 280W in ~28mins (before they then add some time to our efforts).

Wish me luck being able to walk tomorrow!

https://zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=263291
    https://zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=263296

J-R

How do you manage to do two races in succession? – I am totally spent after just one.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

It was a spare of the moment thing to do the TT so soon after the race! Especially now I’ve been put in B, my racing ability is rubbish, so I treat races as workouts rather than trying to stay with the pack at all costs.

The strange bit was the power numbers, I averaged ~282W over 56mins (with feable sprints of 376W and 323W for the final min in each respective event), with just under 6mins between events… Yet my best continuous 56mins recently (29th Nov) is 254W, just 2W below my best effort from Jun 2018.

Felt really drained yesterday evening, probably not helped by making life changing decisions about what stuff I wanted/needed to buy in impending Cyber Monday sale ends and what price some items were for sale compared to my recollection of item prices. This morning I am like death warmed up, but no sign of leg soreness… Yet.

weeksy

Bit of a self-indulgent one this may come over as, but it’s not supposed to, it’s supposed to be a celebration of cycling i guess.

As you’ll have seen, i Zwift…. a LOT… Well, you don’t always see it but that’s because i rarely post on the thread, but it’s 4-5 times a week anyway.

But today i finished for lunch and had a window and it was glorious outside for the first time in ages, sure the trails were wet, but dry enough to ride along with being warm enough not to freeze which is also unique lately.

So i got on the Whyte T130 and went out for a gentle one…. Well, mostly. But that was in part down to my legs being fried from both the weekends outdoor road ride with Crust and Zwift racing the 2 days after that, so i didn’t have much in the legs. But within minutes of being out i felt like a weight was lifted from my shoulders so to speak, the world just felt ‘better’ and less hassled and it has been. I won’t get into why in public of course, but things haven’t exactly been rosey lately.
    Being outside, feeling the wind, the movement of the bike, watching 2 massive helicopters doing practicing etc, looking at the sheep and dodging puddles, all just glorious.

I was pedalling along thinking “Yes yes yes, this is why ! This is why i love this sport”

I didn’t set any records, didn’t get any Zwift points, but it’s set my mind at rest massively.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hUsaCx]2019-12-03_03-57-06[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hUtn2D]2019-12-03_03-56-58[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hUtmQg]2019-12-03_03-56-44[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hUs9ZP]2019-12-03_03-56-32[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

kelvinshuffle
    Free Member

Sounds like you had a great ride! Love it when everything comes together like that!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I won’t get into why in public of course, but things haven’t exactly been rosey lately.

you can if you want though, you know, its good to talk, and your anonymous unless anyone knows you in real life? and if they do, hit them up for a pint and a chat, and if they don’t, reach out, im in Lincs, sure everyone else is dotted all over, ive worked on NHS mental health wards for the last 12 years, and the number one thing i still ignore, despite all the knowledge is my own sodding mental health, because well bloke, got to be partner, dad, friends, bank,

Bit of a self-indulgent one this may come over as, but it’s not supposed to, i

it didn’t

I was pedalling along thinking “Yes yes yes, this is why ! This is why i love this sport”

i “always” think this, its very very rare i come back from an outdoors ride and think that it was a waste of time, and because time is what im short of i don’t do it enough, but i get back and the worlds still spinning

weeksy

you can if you want though, you know, its good to talk, and your anonymous unless anyone knows you in real life? and if they do, hit them up for a pint and a chat, and if they don’t, reach out, im in Lincs, sure everyone else is dotted all over, ive worked on NHS mental health wards for the last 12 years, and the number one thing i still ignore, despite all the knowledge is my own sodding mental health, because well bloke, got to be partner, dad, friends, bank,

Thanks for the thoughts mate, but i’m not keeping it inside, i chat to my mates and the wife, honest… I just don’t do public info on-line.

codybrennan
    Free Member

I’m back on the Zwift after 9 months or so of leaving it aside, and its nice to be back.

I bought a direct drive trainer in a sale over the summer, a Tacx Flux S, was thinking about saving tyre wear, etc.

It feels good and was easy to set up, but I don’t detect any real change in resistance on hills. Zwift has it paired as a power source and controllable trainer to an ATV4 over Bluetooth, so that’s all good. I’ll have a play with the Trainer Difficulty setting later and see if that makes hills come alive.

weeksy

it really should be instantly apparent, the hills kick in quite realistically

BadlyWiredDog

Bit of a self-indulgent one this may come over as, but it’s not supposed to, it’s supposed to be a celebration of cycling i guess.

Na, it was a really nice, positive post about how great riding a bike is and not remotely self indulgent. Thanks for making me smile.

Poopscoop

Great to be back on Zwift today after a break of a week or 2.

Turbo trainer issues.

Core died. Vibration, then a smell of burning…then no resistance/connection over Ant or bt. Basically went back to a dumb trainer.Lol

Got it swapped for an new exchange unit at the shop. Not via Wahoo as I’d likely get a refurb unit from 2018 (according to forums I’ve read) which are a bit s***.

Tried a Neo 2T in meantime… Not impressed. Unit hits brake caliper. Floor board humming vibration….I mean REALLY bad and the cadence sensor is useless. That’s about to go back thanks due to distance selling regs. Have to say though, if it worked it would be great. Built like a tank and love the few degrees of side to side wobble. Road Feel was fun too.

Anyway, good to be back in the sunshine on Zwift.

robbo1234biking

Poopscoop. I got an elite Direto from Halfords a couple of weeks ago for £550. It is still the same price and I have to say it works great!

weeksy

I was debating a Neo as well. Not so sure now.

tomlevell

That was the best Zwift race I’ve been involved in by a long way.
    The CryoGen team looked like they came with a plan.
    Hard off the line from them split the relatively small field and then eased up. Up the ramp at the bottom I was too far back as it accelerated and I thought only a none ZP rider off the front. As I worked back to the front I realised 2nd overall, a lightweight woman from CG, was way up the road. Lots of work to get back to her before we got to the KOM dragging 2 others including a CG rider. The 3rd CG rider wasn’t far behind and I didn’t really want him back on.
    She went again up the KOM but I was watching for that and I had been intending to go for it up the final ramp of the KOM but had to counter her attack again, made an effort to get away and got a gap. Maybe 10 seconds by the line.
    Went for it and maintained my lead over about 6 riders all the way down and turn back towards the finish. But started to lose ground rapidly so sat up when they were 3 seconds behind and 4km to go after 6km solo. We also just caught the original attacker.
    Had to then try and recover for the sprint.
    CG rider dropped a Burito a bit early and went for it but I waited for others to react before going for it. Just pipped an out of category B and another on the line for overall and ZP win.
    The other aim was to get upgraded to B, hence the attack and TT, which I was 4 watts over the required 20minute so bye for now C. Zwift gave me a 7w FTP increase and I broke a bunch of all time power records and was nearly at my best outdoor TT for 23 minutes. It was flipping hard.

7 cups for 7 races counting in the series.
    https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=266746

Poopscoop

robbo1234biking

Subscriber
    Poopscoop. I got an elite Direto from Halfords a couple of weeks ago for £550. It is still the same price and I have to say it works great!

Great trainer that mate.👍

I’ll stick with the Core now… Hopefully.Lol It’s bloody fantastic when it works and I want to stay in the Wahoo “ecosystem” for the future stuff. The Climb, Bolt or whatever.

Poopscoop

weeksy

Subscriber
    I was debating a Neo as well. Not so sure now.

I was just unlucky I think. Has your bike got rim brakes mate, or disk?

Have to say the real (not simulated) flywheel of the Core feels better than the Neo, to me anyway, though it’s not a deal breaker. The Road Feel on the Neo is fun though.👍

Poopscoop

tomlevell

That was the best Zwift race I’ve been involved in by a long way.
    The CryoGen team looked like they came with a plan.
    Hard off the line from them split the relatively small field and then eased up…….

Read all that! Sounds brutal, well fought mate! Still a lowly D- here but an ftp increase today to a mighty 218 watts.😆

Poopscoop

Just done my longest ride on Zwift. Freeride up the epic Kom and radio mast then through the sequoias. Couldn’t get over 94kph on the downhill, legs just don’t have it.

Having trouble indexing the bike though. Ok now high gears indexed fine but goes wrong in low (big rings) at the back. The mech hanger is obviously out… Thing is I know why!

I’ve straightened the hanger out using the correct tool… BUT when you clamp it into the Core you can see the hanger move over… Which throws the indexing out…

So! I’m figuring I’ll put the bike back in the stand, fit a rear wheel and torque it up as hard as I do in the Core. Needs to be tight on the Core as the frame moves on the Cores removable 135mm QR dropouts otherwise. Sounds like a plan??🤔

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Couldn’t get over 94kph on the downhill, legs just don’t have it.

steel frame with 808’s

1205 8 lapper volcano circuit today, same as last time, tried to hang with the front group, get spat out earlier than usual, but in the same place, up the right/left switchback get spat out, take foot off the gas, get swallowed up by the next group to find my true race, blog was massive 30+ riders, even pace for 4 laps, higher for the last, went semi long on the sprint, should have gone longer, 7/15 on ZP – but the field was miles bigger than that

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=265702

Alex

Always enjoy the race reports. Still never done one 😉

I do sort of enjoy the group rides. ZZRC are a good bunch. Up both sides of Innsbrook, first time at 2.7 w/kg, second time however much you wanted to hurt yourself. The climbing was fine, I can climb at a bit more than that, but on the flat in the group, I really expect to go lobbed out the back.

At 79kg and 1m80 it’s not like I’m an odd shape or anything. Just rubbish on the flats. Still the 2 hours passed way easier than doing one of the training programmes. Takes me a while to remember ERG is turned off 😉

w00dster

I’ve found that I’m not doing my recovery rides as easy as I should. End up doing about 5 mins, come to a hill and decide to do a 10 min at over threshold climb. Then end up in a small group going about the same pace. Three hills and an hour later I’ve gone way over what my recovery ride should have been…(by over 100 watts). Tomorrow is definitely recovery ride as my legs are cream crackered!

BadlyWiredDog

So! I’m figuring I’ll put the bike back in the stand, fit a rear wheel and torque it up as hard as I do in the Core. Needs to be tight on the Core as the frame moves on the Cores removable 135mm QR dropouts otherwise. Sounds like a plan??🤔

Depends if the spacing on the Core and the bike are absolutely identical. if there’s a small difference you can always adjust the indexing by a set amount every time – I used to have around a full turn’s difference and it took five seconds to do. Alternatively you can space either the trainer of the bike slightly so they’re identical.

Why is the hanger able to ‘move’, that doesn’t sound right.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

@Poopscoop You could always stick chain on little ring and mid cassette sprocket to do ERG workouts, you then will get power changes according to the training session without you having to change gear.

weeksy

Any way to use ERG mode to advantage in a TT race then lads ? I’m doing the 13:00 race today, even though i’ve got tired legs from this week, mostly because psychologically i need to at the moment 🙂

But i’m thinking if i could pick say 275w for the 18km i’d arguably do better than being up and down the power… I’m going to use the super Specialized Venge TT bike… but would be interesting to see if i could hold 275w at the very least.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’m doing the same TT weeksy, also with heavy legs (did the ZA Tri 2020 “strength” workout on Tues and those 60-75rpm interval reps destroyed my legs more than expected, I suffered doing the two short “Oh Crit” races yesterday afternoon and my legs simply weren’t there), using my P5 TT bike and probably the Zipp 808 wheels rather than the Enve 3.4s as the course is so flat.

You can’t use ERG mode in the race, but if you lower the “trainer difficulty” (slope feel), the power variance for a given gear in a cadence range will remain more constant on the gentle slopes. Try something like ~25% or less.

I normally use ~75%, but that’s so I get my 50/16 gear to work, albeit I get hard and easy sections according to slight gradient, which in theory will give me ~270-280W average.

weeksy

Oooooh my bike is a Shiv Sworks

I’m sure you’ll pass me 🙂

13:03 start time here

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

1303 here also, just setting turbo up!

You have the better 20mins power, I’m dreading seeing how my legs feel! 😀

weeksy

I’m watching gcn vids warming up regarding cadence

robbo1234biking

Could you use something else to control the trainer i.e TrainerRoad at a certain wattage in ERG mode and then send the signal to Zwift during the race?

weeksy

arrggggggh.

That was all going sweetly, i decided on a lower cadence, last klick on the gears, so 38/11.

first segement i got 300w average and cruising into section 2, about half way through it i’ve got 290w average on this section and over half way through course, ready for a bit more power to try and drag it up a bit…

“Your battery is about to die, please plug in your power source ! ”

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Lost about 10s getting it sorted, which i could have accepted, but then as getting back on the bike i kicked out the Ant+ cable and lost all pairing. Could i hell get it to reconnect for AGES…

Cruised round to finish the course… Sooooo disappointed. Not convinced i could have averaged 300w, but i think an average of 290w would have been viable… maybe..

Sad 🙁

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I was on mobile Zwift app so couldn’t type, saw you stationary and a frustrated bit of chat, guessed you either had to to stop due to outside influence or pairing issues. 🙁

I came away from that not feeling like I gave it all, the power readings were approx 10-20W lower than normal and I reckon it’s because my Direto belt needs tightening to get the calibration numbers more in line with the factory value. Normally use the 4iiii crank pm, but needs battery!

Good little workout those Tempus TTs, woken me up a bit, now to get get cleaned up and pop out for the groceries including my lunch I ran out of time to do before the event.

weeksy

296w for the first 12 mins before it all went wrong with the cabling… that’s REALLY not like me either as i’m very well prepared and had been on the bike for 25 mins warming up/cruising, just didn’t notice it. I’ll be looking for another of them next week for sure.

Poopscoop

Hello guys.

Sounds like a nightmare kicking the cable out of the trainer weeksy!

A question for you guys… Want to ride the alp due Zwift tomorrow for the first time but want a bit of a longer run up to it than the shortest route, “road to the sky” or whatever its called?

What route will add another 10k (ish) before I start the climb up it?

Thanks guys!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Manually go left at the entrance to the alpe and loop round the jungle? Either that or at 5km do a u-turn and rode 5km back to the start and start again?

jamesoz

Hello, just got myself a Tacx trainer running Swift on an Apple iPhone se, plugged into an old TV. It works really well.
    I’ve mostly been using rollers indoors, up untill now
    So far I’ve done a ramp test which gave a figure of 279w, unfortunately I weigh 98kg at present, so not great. Currently working my way through the 11 week ftp booster thin but work has a nasty habit of sending me away at the moment.
    Not tried a race yet, not much of a roadie apart from solo so no clue what most of it means.

codybrennan
    Free Member

I’m back on it this weekend (after I come back from an MTB adventure somewhere, though)

Had a go on the Tacx training app on an iPad, and thankfully my Flux S is indeed responding to resistance control, so now I probably just need to up the realism on Zwift.

Viewing 40 posts - 12,201 through 12,240 (of 15,383 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.