• This topic has 15,382 replies, 380 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Caher.
Viewing 40 posts - 11,921 through 11,960 (of 15,383 total)
  • Zwift, my journey, my weight and my fitness.
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Weeksy, I think he did it in 17 min something. It was the 6.30 brt tt league.

I obviously misunderstood how it works but had kind of assumed that you were not allowed to exceed 4 watts per kilo for the event or you’d be knocked into the higher category – i averaged pretty much bang on that (3.97) however 6 folks managed over 4 w/kg. So basically it looks like I can put out whatever I like during a tt and not be bumped up or disqualified?

tomlevell

Only if it’s under 20 minutes long.
    Your category on ZP is worked out by applying 95% of your bes 20minute effort in an event. So you can push 4.2.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Top 3 folks last night had higher than 4.2. Winner had 4.51.

trail_rat
    Free Member

It’s your last 3 AVE 20minute power if event is less than 20minutes it doesn’t correct.

I’m a b and do the 2k series at 6w/kg….should I be an A ?

tomlevell

It was under 20 minutes for them though.
    https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=243790
    Winner doesn’t do that in most events if you click through. Rarely on the podium.
    2nd and 3rd have barely raced and don’t know what category they should be in although currently B is right.

Click the “View 95%” button above the results to see what it’s based upon.
    Winner was 3.8wkg

Clearly that rider can do that for 20 minutes but hasn’t so far in an event over 20 minutes. To me they are a legit B.

TTs are you against the course. The guy with the most watts depending on elevation should win on Zwift.

Try a race rather than a TT.

There’s a disconnect between Zwift rules and what the ZP community has decided on.
    The ZP one makes more sense as it sets limits on performance numbers rather than just saying 4wkg but no definintion and no enforcement from Zwift themselves.
    Eventually when Zwift decide to enforce it I may become a B with current results as I’m right on the C limit. (bit worried about the TT coming up in the current series as I may go over the limit :0) It’s Bologna and in theory I won’t finish in under 20 minutes which means my WKG might go over. I’m not going to hold back but I may have a hard session the day before…

scaled
    Free Member

Pretty sure i’m a legit B a the moment.

I don’t think i’ve ridden more than 20 minutes on the turbo for months. First race back was a bit of a rude awakening when i couldn’t hold on to the A group on a flat ride 🙁

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=243185

Was going reasonably well* in that 50k volcano flat thing when i had to stop to answer a call from my boss, the bastard.

*Just about hanging on

FTP is 298 now from that, down from ~340 something before my shoulder incident

dirtyrider
    Free Member

12:05 Volcano Flat 8 Lapper, with the front group for 4 laps, nearly got dropped lap 3, hung on then spat out lap 4, was 1:45 in front of the next group on the road, eased up and let them catch me, joined in, 10/15 riders, wasn’t particularly fast, i think i could have held them off if id have tried judging by the lap times after i got caught, but thats not fun, tried to string it out at the beginning of lap 8 but it didn’t work, regrouped, sprint for the line, i waited, then as soon as someone else went i followed, probably 300 odd metres out and i just held it, and won the sprint in the group i was in

5th in B – the 4 in front managed to stick with the front group

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=244320

trail_rat
    Free Member

currently in a script war with wahoo support.

supplied all the info the support website requests having followed the support website…..and stated as much

reply one directed me to the support website

reply two said do a factory spin down (impossible without speed or power)

reply three asked for the serial , the proof of purchase and shipping address – all supplied in my first email as thats what the support website asks for…..

weeksy

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=244364

My lad had a go on the Bologna TT course. I’ve not done it myself and it’s not on my list to attempt i have to admit. I thought he did pretty well though considering 🙂

tpbiker
    Free Member

Good effort from the wee man there!

I did same race..although in the link posted I appear to have moved up a few places from what the companion app told me.

Given my focus is going to be on tts next year discovering zwift tt events is going to be a pretty good way of getting in shape I reckon.

hooja
    Free Member

I’m always astounded by peoples ftp’s and w/kg
    I thought I was fit… 50 mile fast road/gravel rides off the cuff. Multi day monster rides. Trail/mountain runner usually pushing top ten finishes, happy to race 100km mountain running races and run a lot of steep techy trails every week. Obsessive rock climber who trains regularly. Healthy diet etc etc
    6ft and 80-82kg but… my ftp first time on the trainer this year is 228. I’m middle to low c class apparently and get totally burned in c class races by folk putting out 3.5-4w/kg!?
    Am I doing something wrong? Or should I just sack off cycling as I’m clearly not designed for it

w00dster

Hi Hooja, staying the obvious but I think zwift just brings together a lot of riders with different fitness levels.
    I used to race and am using zwift to train to race again next year. I’m 47, 69kgs and 5 foot 8 with an ftp of 257. Aiming to get to 66kgs and ftp in excess of 280 for next spring.
    I’ve only done 2 zwift races and got spanked in both. I’m a lower B, 3.5 w/kg average for my first race. Not raced for a couple of weeks as trying a 4w/kg training block. Tempted to race today and ditch the training for a day, will see how dead the legs feel later.
    I also ride road and Mtb. Happy doing centuries off road and doubles on road. But I do think that’s completely different to zwift, which is really training for 1 hour races. I’m able to beat a lot of guys I race with in a 1 hour crit or a shorter road race but who are much better endurance trained than me and kill me on the longer rides.
    Without wanting to be condescending a lot of the activities you do have little or no influence on your cycling fitness, certainly won’t help from a racing perspective. Most people putting out the high watts per kg will solely be cycling and training purely to increase their w/kg.
    Definitely don’t give up on cycling, but just accept with you being an obsessive rock climber you won’t be as quick as an obsessive cyclist.

crosshair
    Free Member

What do you call an off the cuff fast road ride Hooja?

My experience is that top of C cat / low B is a Cat 4 road racer. Top of B will be Cat 3 and most Cat 2’s or better will be A’s.

Because it has drafting- big guys with big ftp’s who are naturally disadvantaged cyclists outdoors can do better than they ‘should’. (Similar to real crit racing).
    Especially if they stick to routes that suit them. Only once the climbs gets measured in minutes do they start to suffer.

I’m about the same height as you but weigh 94kg with an ftp of 305 currently. A flat, solo, tempo road ride outdoors would be 20mph for up to 2h. I consider myself to be a poor club level cyclist…

hooja
    Free Member

Get what your saying but I wasn’t expecting to be as quick as an obsessive cyclist, just not Expecting to be hitting an ftp of someone twice my age haha
    It’s a bit demoralising
    Average casual ride outdoors, these days, is usually 30 odd miles of backroad with around 3k ft of elevation at an average of around 15.5mph, on 45mm knobby tyres.
    Think I’ll stick to outdoors and ignore this numbers malarky

Off the cuff fast road ride would mean, no prep, last minute decision and jump in the bike (I usually ride my gravel bike these days, as above) if on my road bike I can add around 2mph to the average.
    I live in a very steep hilly area, no such thing as a flat ride round here.

tomlevell

@tpbiker ignore the companion app results. People with dumb trainers on there that distort results and it’s even more wild west for peoples weights and heights etc.
    Run the live link on ZP if you have another screen to see who you are actually racing. I’d really suggest trying a proper race as to me that’ll be good TT training with long periods at VO2max and dips into Tempo plus plenty of time at your FTP.

@Hooja
    I run on the limit of the C class at 80kg and currently would generally expect to be in the top 5 fighting to win every race (except those with big hills). I’m basically just a cyclist FTP about 260 ish. Decent sprint and my 1 min and 5 min power is good for my FTP band which is key for Zwift races to hang onto surges or to make the group hurt. Then again I also generally pick races of 45mins or under as it suits my timescale. If you target some FTP growth training you’ll probably find you can bump your FTP a good amount just from familiarity and cosistent training.

hooja
    Free Member

Ive just read about calibrating my trainer, didn’t realise I was meant to do that! At least I know I’ll be getting a more accurate result… probably even lower though haha

trail_rat
    Free Member

after much tooing and froing the outcome is im getting a replacement trainer and they are collecting the old one.

Looks like I’m riding in the real world this weekend.

weeksy

Woo….. good news.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Hooja, what type of trainer do you have? I use to have a couple of wheel on trainers and the power readings were miles out, even with calibration. I now have a tacx flux and it’s also not particularly accurate.

I take all my readings from my stages powermeter for zwift.

The other thing to bear in mind is that some folks put out less power indoors than out. I’m about 5% lower indoors I reckon.

But as has already been said, just putting in lots of miles won’t increase ftp. Or at least it didn’t for me. If you want to build ftp I reckon you need to base your riding around similar efforts. My ftp dropped throughout last season as I spend my riding time bimbling along in the sunshine, rather than flogging myself on the turbo as I did during the winter.

trail_rat
    Free Member

ill say one thing for the wahoo kickr – compared to my 4iiii crank power meter it puts out very similar numbers – when the kickr works of course 😀

My ftp dropped throughout last season as I spend my riding time bimbling along in the sunshine, rather than flogging myself on the turbo as I did during the winter.

it’ll drop quick like that if you follow the sufferfests get rich quick plans on an unestablished (or as they say not required) base.

FWIW FTP isn’t everything – i regularly ride with people that have high FTP / push high w/kg and even huge peak power according to zwift and they get thumped on the road by people who don’t have such big power or FTP or w/kg. road craft and real world pacing goes along way

J-R

12:05 3R Greater London 8 Hilly for me today – another painful experience leaving me 12/19 in the B’s. I held on to the front group at the start for the first few miles but when they ramped up the pace ascending Picadilly I just couldn’t hold >400W for that long and ended up in a small group that slowly drifted out to be about 40 seconds down.

Naturally that group split on Box Hill in order of W/kg which was good for me, but having got into another small group I just didn’t have anything left for the final sprint, and a few of them beat me over the line by 5-10 seconds.

So all in all pretty typical for my Zwift racing, but I was pretty staggered that one of the sprinters was a C. Looks like he’s a big guy with good power but not the W/kg – he kept up with the front runners to Box Hill, I eventually caught him there, but on the final sprint he put out 600-700W for 20 seconds, which is well out of my league.

FWIW FTP isn’t everything – i regularly ride with people that have high FTP / push high w/kg and even huge peak power according to zwift and they get thumped on the road by people who don’t have such big power or FTP or w/kg. road craft and real world pacing goes along way.

I guess racecraft is my problem on Zwift, and maybe I need to work on good top end power for 30-60 seconds rather than just relying on W/kg for doing OK up the hills. Anybody got suggestions for how to train for that?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Don’t get hung out to dry on the front but equally pre empt jumps so you don’t get split in the reaction time between them jumping and you seeing it. Once you see it on screen it’s too late you’ve lost draft.

tomlevell

@J-R Yeah that’s Bath Salts he can easily hang with As and Bs on the flat and has big sprint power. Click through his profile and see how little he wins…
    In reality he should probably be in B as he would appear to hold back massively to ensure he has big power when needed but come in under WKG.
    On one hand he’s either found a way to draft for very little effort (he appears to ride at about 60rpm) on the other he’s found a way to cheat that can’t be easily detected. All sorts of accusations of ebikes etc.

Not seeing your race but I would suggest trying to work on drafting skills and also be prepared to fail in a few to see how long you can really hold onto a group. Quite often it’ll ease up but once you’re out the back there’s no getting back on a group of 5 or more without a massive effort which in reality isn’t available at that moment.
    Preempting rises at the right time to be either accelerating through the bunch or on the acceleration of others. Again easier said than done if you’re already suffering.

weeksy

All excellent points Tom

BadlyWiredDog

I’m always astounded by peoples ftp’s and w/kg

Genuinely fit, strong riders / inaccurate and/or uncalibrated trainers / weight dopers – take your pick. Zwift is littered with people putting out hilarious numbers – clue if you’re running at 6 w/kg for 20 minutes and running a sitting with a heart rate of 120 then you just might not be legit.

On top of that FTP is only part of the equation even on Zwift. If you can recover from repeated hard efforts over threshold better than someone with an identical FTP then you can eventually break them by dragging them there repeatedly. If you have a better sprint you can out-sprint them, if you’re cunning you can work out on what sort of terrain you have an advantage and ride accordingly etc.

I think ultimately you cant really know whether other riders’ performance is accurate, but that’s just how it is and if it really, really matters to you, you’re probably in the wrong virtual place 🙂

ps: somewhere on DC Rainmaker is some stuff about high tec Zwift computerised cheating by basically manipulating the data you’re producing in-line. I can’t believe anyone would be sad enough to do that – or to use an e-bike, but people are weird.

kelvinshuffle
    Free Member

So plugging away on the training programme at the moment, mainly to drop the KG bit of the w/kg equation.

All going well and enjoying it so much considering getting a cheap treadmill and having a go at running on Zwift, anyone had a go on it? Any thoughts?

Already run a bit, but outside I can’t help but pootle along, so hoping a bit of structure there will help me get nearer former glories.

mossimus
    Free Member

Wkg round 5 today, 111km race, 12 laps of Watopia hilly reverse. Never want to see that hill again, took me 3:20, from lap 5 onwards I struggled on KOM dropping back through the field. Settled in with a group of 6 for last 4 laps. On last lap I hit the KOM with all I had left, ended up being my quickest ascent of the day, averaged nearly 300W for 5 minutes and took a minute out of rest of group, in hindsight seems slightly pointless that much effort for 13th place.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Genuinely fit, strong riders / inaccurate and/or uncalibrated trainers / weight dopers – take your pick. Zwift is littered with people putting out hilarious numbers – clue if you’re running at 6 w/kg for 20 minutes and running a sitting with a heart rate of 120 then you just might not be legit.

exactly, check out this joker

weeksy

I’ve got no words!!!!!

J-R

Thanks for the all comments guys, especially about putting the effort in to hang on a bit longer because it will ease up, and about knowing where to accelerate up the short hills wear the breaks occur.

ultimately you can’t really know whether other riders’ performance is accurate, but that’s just how it is

This is true. IRL there are always people who are a lot better than you, and so what if on Zwift some of them may not be completely legit – you can only race against what you see and against yourself.

Poopscoop

Quick question guys!

I’m just doing a 15 mile free ride every other day at the moment just trying to get a bit fitter and lose weight. So far so good on both counts. Learning a lot about the HR I can sustain and the watts too.

When I get to a point I won’t be last in D group every time I’ll start doing a bit of racing…

Anyway. The question. How long do you guys warm up before a ride and at what sort of wattage? In my dumb mind I kind of don’t like warming up as it feels like a “waste” of entry. Though I know that’s patently rubbish.

So what do you guys do before a group ride or race? 5 to 10 mins? What sort of cadence/wattage?

Thanks guys.

crosshair
    Free Member

@poopscoop Anything from 60mins of easy spinning to literally no warm up at all.

I think from a performance viewpoint, anything too fancy or long has little science to back it up. Mentally: working up gradually to one or two race pace efforts helps perhaps.

Optimum for me indoors seems to be 20mins easy spinning. Gets all the equipment warmed up and gives me time to settle in and double check everything without wasting sugar 😉

Poopscoop

Cheers crosshair for the reply!

nixie

Try to do 20 mins before a race. Start easy then build it up to around 75% by five minutes or so. Then cruise at constant pace for a bit. I then do some over FTP (120-150%) spikes at high cadence (110-130rpm). Maybe 3-5 of those in increasing time (up to around 30s). Then easy last 3-5 minutes at 75%ish.

zissou
    Free Member

A winter challenge for anyone needing something to go after over winter:

3 laps of Watopia flat, TT bike. See what time you can do. A segment has been made: add TheChasersCollective on Instagram to see others’ times.

I did a 45:21 tonight and will be trying to improve on that as winter progresses- it’s very hard to hold watts on the slight undulations, dirt, and other distractions! It’s a different challenge to races or even workouts. Bit of fun, give it a go- it’s about each person bettering their time, not racing each other!

Poopscoop

nixie

Subscriber
    Try to do 20 mins before a race. Start easy then build it up to around 75% by five minutes or so. Then cruise at constant pace for a bit. I then do some over FTP (120-150%) spikes at high cadence (110-130rpm). Maybe 3-5 of those in increasing time (up to around 30s). Then easy last 3-5 minutes at 75%ish.

My worry about doing that mate is that by the start of the group ride /race or wherever is I’ll already be spent.lol

zissou
    Free Member

You’d think that poop but you’d be surprised- people think they’re burning matches but it’s not the case. Depends on the individual obviously but try different things and see which one feels best. The main idea is to get the heart rate up and legs used to the idea of working hard- it’s also hugely mental- getting in the zone and telling yourself it’s about to hurt!

tomlevell

Warmup makes it hurt less. No dramatic change in performance I find but it does make it more pleasant.
    If I have time generally 15 minutes spinning at say 40 to 50 % FTP with some over FTP short efforts. Regularly get maybe 3 to 5 minutes just spinning due to time constraints and computer issues.

For you I’d say get into the habit of doing 10 to 15 minutes of 50% or a bit less of FTP. If it’s a race add in some (2 or 3) higher power sprints of up to 20 seconds.
    No science but I agree if you don’t feel you have the power to waste don’t, do try and get the body moving beforehand though as the sprint out of the gate is a good possibilty of straining something. Been there in the past plenty of times when not fit but wanting to race (pre Zwift),

Also as discussed a page or 2 back try and do another 15minutes after a session at whatever you can manage but 50% FTP or under. If it starts out really low straight after a race just do that. Will help long term.

Oh and also what the others said above. Everyones different in their needs but do try and do something.

nixie

@poopscoop the idea behind the high cadence to get the higher power is that it takes less out of your muscles than the same power but pushing hard. The intervals should be short enough that it’s not really hurting you. Just enough to get the heart pumping properly and legs loosened. I find I can be spinning around 85rpm.and finding it difficult but after a few spikes to 120+ the cruising spin comes easily. Also in races if you can produce that extra power to close a gap from a short high cadence burst it doesn’t seem to take as much out of your legs.

The start of races definitely hurt me more if I’ve only been able to do 5-10 mins warm up. On the London routes with lead in this has meant I’ve been dropped on the ramp from the river to roundabout.

@zissou
    sounds interesting. Think I may take a look at that.

mtbqwerty

Not really adding much to the party here, but I’ve got a smart turbo trainer as an early Christmas present…I’m absolutely loving Zwift, I’ve don’t more activities in the past 4 days than the past month.

Only done workouts so far, but at some point I’ll join a group ride or race.

Only problem is I’m using an old mountain bike that I couldn’t sell for £100, how long before I get competitive and buy bigger gears etc?

Viewing 40 posts - 11,921 through 11,960 (of 15,383 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.