• This topic has 15,382 replies, 380 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Caher.
Viewing 40 posts - 11,481 through 11,520 (of 15,383 total)
  • Zwift, my journey, my weight and my fitness.
  • singlespeedstu

it’s where my power and fitness puts me on a course with a hill in it,

Try braking less on the descents and taking a better line…

footflaps

What smart trainer are folks using ?
    And
    How much noise do they make ?

I bought an Elite Zumo the other day (£450 @ Halfords), very quiet – fan is noisier than the turbo, the wheel off things are completely different to old school tyre rubbing based things…

dirtyrider
    Free Member

5th in C isn’t where I wanna be, but it’s where my power and fitness puts me on a course with a hill in it,

perfect time to do some targeted training? on your way back to fitness, sacrifice a race for a vo2 max workout?

weeksy

Meh, I’m not a workout kind of guy matey.
    Currently focusing on 5-2 diet as well, so expect performance to suffer due to that anyway. If I can keep this problem under control and up the training along with dropping some lard, I’ll get back to where I need to be

robbo1234biking

Did my last obligatory Zwift Academny race last night (you have to do 4 races or rides – I have only done races as the rides seem a bit pointless).

It was 6 laps of the La Guardia route. Sitting on the line 10 seconds before the start spinning up to the start and the plastic clip on chain ring guard came of on my bike (I brought a second hand zwift bike). Anyway that ruined my start and it was about 30 seconds down before I actually started by the time I jumped of the bike, removed it and got back on.

That meant I was right at the back and not in any group but it gave me the opportunity to catch people up so I used that as the focus. There was always someone about 10-15 seconds ahead of me so it was a series of mini races catching riders up which took me all the way up to the final lap.

If it hadn’t been a Zwift Academy race but as I needed to complete a final race in any case I stuck with it and had a good time. Normally I am with a fast group at the start, run out of steam mid way through and then spend the rest of the race on my own apart from the odd person that catches me so this was more motivating for the whole of the race. Also the performance was a lot better than last time I raced the course on the 16th August.

Numbers have increased a follows (on exact same circuit and length of race)

avg 2.1 w/kg to 2.2 w/kg
    NP 244W to 251W
    1min power 2.8 w/kg to 3.0 w/kg
    15s power 3.5 w/kg to 4.1 w/kg

Most importantly to achieve that my HR was a lot lower.
    Avg HR was 171 bpm to 162 bpm
    Max HR was 182 bpm to 173 bpm

Got 3 workouts left to complete the entire academy. Tonight is Workout 6 – Chase the Breakaway

https://whatsonzwift.com/workouts/zwift-academy-2019/6-chase-the-breakaway/

Also rode the Yorkshire Ciruit on Warmup. The little circuit looks like it could be OK for some shorter races with a few small ups and down to attack on.

weeksy

Nice little write up matey 🙂

footflaps

How long do the races last?

weeksy

shortest is 5km (some 2kms actually). Up to 3 hours…. and everything in between.

I’d say an average is about 55-60 mins. I generally pick slightly shorter. Mine are usually 35-45 mins.

trail_rat
    Free Member

The Saturday morning kiss 2km sprint series is quite tough….

One 2k sprint at 450watts isn’t too bad.

2 is sore

3 results in output dropping to 395-400

4th results in 380-390

Most of the others I pick are about 30k

mossimus
    Free Member

After a couple of weeks off the bike due to having my collarbone pinned back together Doc has said I can do some gentle indoor cycling.

Rather than just ride along slowly I lowered my ftp numbers by 30% and did one of the ZA workouts using the new Yorkshire course.

Nice to be back on the bike, prior to break was getting very close to an enforced upgrade to B, looking forward to building the fitness up again once fully mended.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

ramp test this morning, 285w, in line with recent outdoor/zwift race efforts

best 5 minute power of 2019 at 349w, and 8th best in all my years of using power meters (everything else in the top 10 in 2014/15 and i guess slightly inflated by running stages during those years, on Quarqs now)

winston
    Free Member

Hi,

Do the smart interactive trainers (wheel on) make a real difference to the experience?

i.e A smart trainer can be had for around 150 but the ones with the electronic brake cost nearer 400+

Would i feel a huge difference to my enjoyment of the ‘game’ between say a Tacx Flow/Satori etc and say a Bushido?

weeksy

I’d say yes myself. I’m not convinced anyone who has tried one will actually say no.

It works perfectly well in ‘dumb’ mode, can’t argue that, but when you hit hills, you want clicks .

trail_rat
    Free Member

Erg mode you mean ? For me that’s a game changer.

Even being out here with a watt bike without erg mode is ruining my motivation. Much easier to complete an work out when the choice is removed from you/your legs.

nixie

I can’t see why you’d buy a non smart turbo now. They are so much more interactive. Other than cost I also can’t see why you’d buy a wheel on trainer either.

nixie

Erg mode is great if you want to do workouts.

Haze

Much easier to complete an work out when the choice is removed from you/your legs

Until you can’t keep on top your cadence!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

ERG mode is keeping me going at the mo, the rear derailleur cable snapped recently and with screwing the high limit screw right in I’ve just about got the 16T sprocket… Which in free-riding is easy/hard on the flat with 34/50 respectively, but makes anything more than approx 6% incline a major grind.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Until you can’t keep on top your cadence!

Ride fixed enough to not know the meaning of these words 🙂

dirtyrider
    Free Member

did the Über Pretzel today, 5h 25m and 128km of unpleasantness finishing at the top of AduZ, never pushed on in any respect but was still smashed by the time i got to the foot of the climb, which took forever as i was trying to stay under 200w

https://zwiftinsider.com/uber-pretzel/

not in a hurry to do that again

weeksy

You crazy crazy boy!

winston
    Free Member

@footflaps

How is that Zumo working out for you?  It sems a good price for an interactive direct drive but I can’t find any info on it apart from an old DC rainmaker post about how he had problems with powerspikes…

weeksy

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=219742

Zwift race doesn’t give a true representation of the event, not sure how so few were in the end results, we had 20 in C LOL. I finished 6th i think but even Zwift companion isn’t showing it… Race started pretty well with a 25 mins warm up at a decent pace, then sat in the lead group until 19 mins in and a couple of Cs were ridiculous, one of them averaging 4.5w/kg LOL… seriously. But they pulled away from us and left a group of 2, me and 1 bloke, we did a lap and a guy we’d dropped caught us at an ideal moment as i’d lost my riding mates wheel by 3s and he towed me back in. 5km to go on the layout it’s a 3-4% drag, i lost their wheel there and didn’t power on for it, i was cooked. Cruised to the end for a result.
    My power and performances are FAR from inspiring me at the moment, but all i can do it train, diet and train some more…I’m getting better slowly…. But i’m a chunk away from my best days. I’d say i’m a good 30w down on my 45 mins power from my best… Which isn’t ideal. But we can get it back 🙂

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Tema DiDa Zwift Academy Race this morning, 2 laps CCW of the volcano, with a 5km lead in, always going to be quick, got in a good little group at the start, 16 in it, got away pretty quick from anyone else, 100+ in the race, held a feather for the last lap, but never know where to play it, everyone else seems to do it on the small climb into the volcano, but i did mine later, on the ramp for the line when everyone is “sprinting”, couple got a second on us, did a couple on the line, 5th in B and 7th overall, 294w for 18:18, and best 1 minute power in a zwift race (468w)

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=222439

Yorkshire Power Up Tour: Sprinter Stage next at 13:10

weeksy

That looks like it was a good battle !

dirtyrider
    Free Member

doubling up is always hard, first race on the Queen’s Highway in Yorkshire, i think it went the opposite direction when i spun round it the other day

was meant to a aero only power up, but some kept getting feathers which clearly helped on the short climbs,

big crowd, everyone as “A”, initially went with the front group about 20-25/181, but got shelled 1st lap up the climb, settled into the 2nd group, which grew and grew, collected up some riders in the 6 laps, was always towards the back or trying to get on as we went through the finish banner, but then was able to bridge back on the downhill, was about cooked by the time we rounded the corner for the last rise to the finish, used my aero there, managed to claw back some places, 30/181 on the companion app, 8 in front of me within 8 seconds, 6 behind me within 8 seconds, so mid pack, but the bunch just exploded all over with people going early/late in the last km which rises 30m in 1km, so not a wall by any means,

22/110 in ZP

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=220958

hjghg5
    Free Member

Looks like I did similar to dirty rider today! First was the za (women’s) race round the volcano. Stuck with the front group for about half of it then came in 7th.

About 50 minutes off the bike and then back on for the power up event. I wasn’t intending to race this but got pulled along a bit at the start. Unknown for me I was actually sitting 3rd in the ladies (B) category and the race had commentary from Nathan Guerra so he focussed on me for a bit.

I’ve been on zwift for years (there was only one route when I signed up!) But have drifted away from it a bit – doing ZA has got me enjoying it again though. A neo and finally sorting out my ant dropout issues have also helped…

weeksy

That’s mighty impressive! Well done.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Heads up if your monthly Zwift sub renews in the next few days…

Cancel it asap!

There’s a new Strava challenge up starting in six days, ride 177 miles over two weeks inside or out for a free month of Zwift code.

Sod’s law, mine renewed a few days ago!

weeksy

Lol for £13? Meh.

weeksy

I’m planning 2 rides today, firstly i’m going to shoot outside on the Merida for a 45 mins test ride, then back indoors for a short 13.5km race at 4pm. Volcano CCW and a big field, so at the very least it will be quite interesting. I’ll get my ar** handed to me on a plate on the kick to the line, but i should do OK apart from that as long as i can keep my HR under control that is and not go off too hard.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

any of the regulars in here want a 1 month trainer road coupon?

robbo1234biking

@dirtyrider. I will have a go if you don’t mind? Struggling with the training plans on Zwift so want to try some more structured training.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

messaged you

robbo1234biking

Thanks dirtyrider.

I completed a ramp test last night. I last did one on the 14th August and in that time I have completed Zwift Academy. I wanted to see if my FTP had improved.

Originally I got 242, but last night I got 260 so an increase of 7.5% which isn’t bad really.

My only issue now is which training plan to look at next. I am going to give Trainerroad a go as the Zwift workouts don’t seem to have the quality of the Zwift Academy workouts. I think the L’etape du tour ones look OK but a lot of the others don’t look great or require you to be doing it day in day out which I cant commit to with work and family life.

tomlevell

Sweet Spot Base 1 then 2 then move onto build
    From using it last 2 years I’ve gone down to the low volume plans and bump up the TSS with other rides outside or races on Zwift.
    Well that’s this year plan anyway.

Depending on your current volume of riding aim at low or mid from there. I found having too many planned trainer sessions was a recipe for failing and missing too much. From the low volume plan I’m intending to do 1 of the midweek sessions and 1 of the weekend sessions. Weekdays would then have a steady MTB ride outdoors and hopefully a race. Weekend will hopefully add a longer outdoor ride in. If needs be I’ll add a TR session in if I’m going to miss something.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

My only issue now is which training plan to look at next. I

this is sort of where i am, bit of a crossroads,

did the 4DP Sufferfest test on 30th July – said i was weaker on the Vo2 Max stuff, so knowing i had the Hope Marathon after 5 weeks i thought id concentrate on that, so did (and i know it was August and should have been outdoors more, but ive got kids and the holidays, so squeezing in an hours turbo was easier to balance)

Week 1 – 4DP, 2x Vo2 Sessions plus 1 2 Hour Outdoor Ride –
    Week 2 – 4x Vo2 Sessions
    Week 3 – 4 1/2x Vo2 Sessions plus a smash up Zwift Mountain
    Week 4 – 2x Vo2 Sessions, 2x Zwift Races plus a 2 Hour outdoor ride
    Week 5 – Recovery Ride, Outdoor Crit, 2x Recovery Rides, an Opener and the Hope MTB Marathon
    Week 6 – Recovery Week – 123km of light work
    Week 7 – Ramp Test, Vo2 Session, Uber Pretzel, Recovery Session, Sweetspot Session
    Week 8 (This week) – 2x Zwift Races, 1x Vo2 Session

4DP had me at 256w, the Ramp Test at 285w,

maybe looking at low volume Short Power Build rather than Sweetspot Base, plus chucking in some zwift races and some outdoor cross/long road rides, ive deffo seen improvement over the last 8 weeks, i just don’t want to get through the next 8 and find im in the same place,

tomlevell

I think the point is what are you training for in 8 weeks time?

If you just want to see FTP improvement it would appear if you lean towards something you don’t do much of, say V02 max, you’ll see improvement but if you’re aiming at events in early Spring you want to be starting your base training phase in the next month.

I find I don’t get far through build and speciality on TR properly as interest is waining and the weather has improved so I’m leaning to go outside and have fun. Therefore intending to start a month earlier this year and see where it get’s me to. IN theroy if I can stick the entire training cycle I’ll peak too early but It would be nice to see what gains that gives me and it’s not going to go away and therefore should be faster/stronger in spring anyway.

Oh also only do one form of FTP test as in doing 2 that are giving different results is going to mess with your head. I’d also lean to using whichever one the training software uses. ie 4dp for sufferfest. TR ramp test for TR. Or a standard 20 minute test. I find for me the TR ramp test equates pretty close to power on a 23minute TT.

robbo1234biking

My plan is to start TR on Sunday with a ram test (can see how it compares to Zwift) and then start a low volume plan from there with the base build. I am going to run alongside Zwift to start with to compare the two (with TR controlling the ERG). Hopefully will keep me more entertained as well.

I don’t have anything to specifically train for currently so looking for general improvements and weight loss going into the winter.

BTW I really enjoy the Trainerroad podcast which is one of the reasons I want to give TR a go as I learn a lot of there and find it informative (as well as making the days at work go quicker). The zwift podcast on the other hand comes across as awkard (I think because the presenters aren’t all in the same room). Greg Henderson and Kevin Paulton are good but Matt Rowe speaks too much diluting the information you can get from them.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Oh also only do one form of FTP test as in doing 2 that are giving different results is going to mess with your head. I’d also lean to using whichever one the training software uses. ie 4dp for sufferfest. TR ramp test for TR.

i know, i initially started with sufferfestm, but after a month i didn’t see me just repeating the workouts id done, there’s only so many times you can watch the videos i guess, so jumped ship to TR

I think the point is what are you training for in 8 weeks time?

nothing really, just an improvement in myself

Viewing 40 posts - 11,481 through 11,520 (of 15,383 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.