Zwift, my journey, my weight and my fitness.

• This topic has 11,504 replies, 137 voices, and was last updated 1 hour ago by  weeksy.
Viewing 25 posts - 11,481 through 11,505 (of 11,505 total)
  • Zwift, my journey, my weight and my fitness.
  • Premier Icon singlespeedstu
    Subscriber

it’s where my power and fitness puts me on a course with a hill in it,

Try braking less on the descents and taking a better line…

footflaps

What smart trainer are folks using ?
    And
    How much noise do they make ?

I bought an Elite Zumo the other day (£450 @ Halfords), very quiet – fan is noisier than the turbo, the wheel off things are completely different to old school tyre rubbing based things…

dirtyrider

5th in C isn’t where I wanna be, but it’s where my power and fitness puts me on a course with a hill in it,

perfect time to do some targeted training? on your way back to fitness, sacrifice a race for a vo2 max workout?

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Meh, I’m not a workout kind of guy matey.
    Currently focusing on 5-2 diet as well, so expect performance to suffer due to that anyway. If I can keep this problem under control and up the training along with dropping some lard, I’ll get back to where I need to be

Premier Icon robbo1234biking
    Subscriber

Did my last obligatory Zwift Academny race last night (you have to do 4 races or rides – I have only done races as the rides seem a bit pointless).

It was 6 laps of the La Guardia route. Sitting on the line 10 seconds before the start spinning up to the start and the plastic clip on chain ring guard came of on my bike (I brought a second hand zwift bike). Anyway that ruined my start and it was about 30 seconds down before I actually started by the time I jumped of the bike, removed it and got back on.

That meant I was right at the back and not in any group but it gave me the opportunity to catch people up so I used that as the focus. There was always someone about 10-15 seconds ahead of me so it was a series of mini races catching riders up which took me all the way up to the final lap.

If it hadn’t been a Zwift Academy race but as I needed to complete a final race in any case I stuck with it and had a good time. Normally I am with a fast group at the start, run out of steam mid way through and then spend the rest of the race on my own apart from the odd person that catches me so this was more motivating for the whole of the race. Also the performance was a lot better than last time I raced the course on the 16th August.

Numbers have increased a follows (on exact same circuit and length of race)

avg 2.1 w/kg to 2.2 w/kg
    NP 244W to 251W
    1min power 2.8 w/kg to 3.0 w/kg
    15s power 3.5 w/kg to 4.1 w/kg

Most importantly to achieve that my HR was a lot lower.
    Avg HR was 171 bpm to 162 bpm
    Max HR was 182 bpm to 173 bpm

Got 3 workouts left to complete the entire academy. Tonight is Workout 6 – Chase the Breakaway

https://whatsonzwift.com/workouts/zwift-academy-2019/6-chase-the-breakaway/

Also rode the Yorkshire Ciruit on Warmup. The little circuit looks like it could be OK for some shorter races with a few small ups and down to attack on.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Nice little write up matey 🙂

footflaps

How long do the races last?

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

shortest is 5km (some 2kms actually). Up to 3 hours…. and everything in between.

I’d say an average is about 55-60 mins. I generally pick slightly shorter. Mine are usually 35-45 mins.

trail_rat

The Saturday morning kiss 2km sprint series is quite tough….

One 2k sprint at 450watts isn’t too bad.

2 is sore

3 results in output dropping to 395-400

4th results in 380-390

Most of the others I pick are about 30k

mossimus

After a couple of weeks off the bike due to having my collarbone pinned back together Doc has said I can do some gentle indoor cycling.

Rather than just ride along slowly I lowered my ftp numbers by 30% and did one of the ZA workouts using the new Yorkshire course.

Nice to be back on the bike, prior to break was getting very close to an enforced upgrade to B, looking forward to building the fitness up again once fully mended.

dirtyrider

ramp test this morning, 285w, in line with recent outdoor/zwift race efforts

best 5 minute power of 2019 at 349w, and 8th best in all my years of using power meters (everything else in the top 10 in 2014/15 and i guess slightly inflated by running stages during those years, on Quarqs now)

Premier Icon winston
    Subscriber

Hi,

Do the smart interactive trainers (wheel on) make a real difference to the experience?

i.e A smart trainer can be had for around 150 but the ones with the electronic brake cost nearer 400+

Would i feel a huge difference to my enjoyment of the ‘game’ between say a Tacx Flow/Satori etc and say a Bushido?

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

I’d say yes myself. I’m not convinced anyone who has tried one will actually say no.

It works perfectly well in ‘dumb’ mode, can’t argue that, but when you hit hills, you want clicks .

trail_rat

Erg mode you mean ? For me that’s a game changer.

Even being out here with a watt bike without erg mode is ruining my motivation. Much easier to complete an work out when the choice is removed from you/your legs.

Premier Icon nixie
    Subscriber

I can’t see why you’d buy a non smart turbo now. They are so much more interactive. Other than cost I also can’t see why you’d buy a wheel on trainer either.

Premier Icon nixie
    Subscriber

Erg mode is great if you want to do workouts.

Haze

Much easier to complete an work out when the choice is removed from you/your legs

Until you can’t keep on top your cadence!

ERG mode is keeping me going at the mo, the rear derailleur cable snapped recently and with screwing the high limit screw right in I’ve just about got the 16T sprocket… Which in free-riding is easy/hard on the flat with 34/50 respectively, but makes anything more than approx 6% incline a major grind.

trail_rat

Until you can’t keep on top your cadence!

Ride fixed enough to not know the meaning of these words 🙂

dirtyrider

did the Über Pretzel today, 5h 25m and 128km of unpleasantness finishing at the top of AduZ, never pushed on in any respect but was still smashed by the time i got to the foot of the climb, which took forever as i was trying to stay under 200w

https://zwiftinsider.com/uber-pretzel/

not in a hurry to do that again

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

You crazy crazy boy!

Premier Icon winston
    Subscriber

@footflaps

How is that Zumo working out for you?  It sems a good price for an interactive direct drive but I can’t find any info on it apart from an old DC rainmaker post about how he had problems with powerspikes…

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=219742

Zwift race doesn’t give a true representation of the event, not sure how so few were in the end results, we had 20 in C LOL. I finished 6th i think but even Zwift companion isn’t showing it… Race started pretty well with a 25 mins warm up at a decent pace, then sat in the lead group until 19 mins in and a couple of Cs were ridiculous, one of them averaging 4.5w/kg LOL… seriously. But they pulled away from us and left a group of 2, me and 1 bloke, we did a lap and a guy we’d dropped caught us at an ideal moment as i’d lost my riding mates wheel by 3s and he towed me back in. 5km to go on the layout it’s a 3-4% drag, i lost their wheel there and didn’t power on for it, i was cooked. Cruised to the end for a result.
    My power and performances are FAR from inspiring me at the moment, but all i can do it train, diet and train some more…I’m getting better slowly…. But i’m a chunk away from my best days. I’d say i’m a good 30w down on my 45 mins power from my best… Which isn’t ideal. But we can get it back 🙂

dirtyrider

Tema DiDa Zwift Academy Race this morning, 2 laps CCW of the volcano, with a 5km lead in, always going to be quick, got in a good little group at the start, 16 in it, got away pretty quick from anyone else, 100+ in the race, held a feather for the last lap, but never know where to play it, everyone else seems to do it on the small climb into the volcano, but i did mine later, on the ramp for the line when everyone is “sprinting”, couple got a second on us, did a couple on the line, 5th in B and 7th overall, 294w for 18:18, and best 1 minute power in a zwift race (468w)

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=222439

Yorkshire Power Up Tour: Sprinter Stage next at 13:10

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

That looks like it was a good battle !

Viewing 25 posts - 11,481 through 11,505 (of 11,505 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.