Zwift, my journey, my weight and my fitness.

• This topic has 11,502 replies, 137 voices, and was last updated 2 days ago by  weeksy.
Viewing 40 posts - 11,401 through 11,440 (of 11,503 total)
  • Zwift, my journey, my weight and my fitness.
  • Premier Icon robbo1234biking
    Subscriber

Well I did a race for the first time in ages on Friday evening. Was pretty tough – a very fast pace even in the D’s. prob went of too fast as I got caught towards the end by a number of people. Not sure if it is best to go a bit slower to start and save myself for the end.

Did a Zwift Academy workout yesterday which was pretty tough for an hour.

Going to do a race at 6pm tonight. It is only 5 miles though up the KOM. Should be pretty quick. The Zwift academy races all seem pretty short at the moment.

dirtyrider

Not sure if it is best to go a bit slower to start and save myself for the end.

no you need to start hard to get in a quick bunch, you’d never manage to solo back on

dirtyrider

a break from other turbo stuff today, did the 10am Team Dimension Data Hilly Lap, wouldn’t log in so about 90 seconds warm up – 5/13 in B – some good power PBs, obviously going in the right direction, 328w NP

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=214044

then spun the legs for 30 minutes before doing the 11am Time Trial Tuesday up Bologna, forgot how much of a grind that beast is, 297w NP, 28s slower than last time i did it, not terrible considering the earlier race, 8/18

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=213004

DM52

I was getting an annoying squeak from my Neo for a while, it didn’t sound like much and was easily drowned out by the fan, zwift sounds, music and my overall struggle for oxygen but asa week and a bit back I decided enough was enough and had a little investigate.

Pulled the bike off the trainer and nipped up the the axle adaptors as they seemed too loose thinking that would be the issue, just as I was putting the bike back on one of the six large bolts around the non drive side of the Neo fell out, turns out it had sheared off 🙁 .

No big deal, there are five more holding the thing together and the squeak had stopped, so I emailed Tacx asking for the bolt specification and any tips on extracting the remains of it left in the trainer. One RMA later and my whole Neo has been shipped back to the factory at their expense and by the looks of their support site and shipping manifest I have a brand new Neo 2 winging its way to me as a replacement.

Super happy about that, to be honest I was not expecting anything like that level of service but they have been amazing right from the get go when they received my email (which had to go via the Garmin support system).

Tacx support, amazing.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

I like it when support is good 🙂

trail_rat

That was vomit inducing.

Fast Fridays Tempus Fugit.

Lost 3 seconds to the last time I did it. Temperature is sky high today though I blame the heat.

Premier Icon djflexure
    Subscriber

Just got one of these and its brilliant for cooling while on the trainer. I normally loose litres of sweat, and that’s with the garage door open. Harly lost a drop on first two rides with this.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vacmaster-Mover-Floor-Carpet-Dryer/dp/B06WRV12HM/ref=sr_1_7?m=A2CDMBK5RNKHM0&qid=1566571817&s=merchant-items&sr=1-7

trail_rat

Time wasn’t on my side this morning for a real world ride by the time I dropped the van off for mot and ran back -it left barely an hour before I had to go back.

Saw the KISS 2km sprint series.

2km being one of my favourite distances back in the distant days of the track league

Within striking distance of the front of the pack. 6seconds from winner for third in B cat 16 seconds back from the winner of cat A

Soon be time to stop playing with it though and get in with why it was bought. Next year due to new baby I’m gonna focus on TTs up to 25miles so need to drop about 6kg and looking to get up to 4w/kg minimum see if I can’t get close to my long standing PBS from. 10years ago + some duathlonning.

Dilemma of the day…

After walking in the 30C heat for 3.5 hours earlier at work, not convinced I want to walk around Victoria Country Park for an hour. Do I go on a gentle recovery ride outdoors for an hour, to say Ashton and back (approx 15 miles tops), or do I set the bike up on the turbo for a gentle ride on Zwift so I’m home whenever the rest come back from Netley via a chip shop? 😆

trail_rat

was waiting on some visitors yesterday so managed to get on the vulcano flats race.

tough old gig that one, its not like normal racing – theres no lulls its just attack after attack it seems.

then when we went for the final sprint i topped out at 7w/kg and the eventual winner was going at 16w/kg. he must weigh as much as a bag of sugar

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

i simply can’t comprehend some of the sprints people have. 16w/kg isn’t that unusual in the final fling, even in C races you need 10+ which is just crackers.

I’ve had a long summer of excess and today is my first day back in the land of 5-2 diet… eeeek. I’m debating a Zwift race this afternoon, there’s a couple of flat ones including the very flat 17:10. But depends if i have what it takes 😀

trail_rat

i guess its not that mad if your a 60kg fly weight.its only 950watts.

for me thats 1350 watts.

thats why i prefer TTs. No silly sprint to shaft me , im not a sprinter. ive always been about consistant power over long distances.

Premier Icon djflexure
    Subscriber

Agree, 10+ is not really a huge amount. I weigh 86kg, so a 10 w/kg is a sprint represents 860 watts. This is quite achievable for me as a C. Strava says my best 15s sprint is 1250 w

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

860w is still more than i can put out even for 15s.. I don’t know if it’s down to being on a Hardtail MTB or flats or me just being rubbish at sprinting, but i can’t get that.. 700-750, maybe… maybe…

Premier Icon winston
    Subscriber

Sorry but I haven’t got time to read the whole thread!   Can someone tell me how much a basic Zwift set up would cost me? i.e the trainer, subscription and any associated kit I need?

Premier Icon djflexure
    Subscriber

860w is still more than i can put out even for 15s.. I don’t know if it’s down to being on a Hardtail MTB or flats or me just being rubbish at sprinting, but i can’t get that.. 700-750, maybe… maybe…

I guess that we are just good at different things. Much of it will be genetic. My endurance is not so hot.

Setup may be part of it too.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Sorry but I haven’t got time to read the whole thread! Can someone tell me how much a basic Zwift set up would cost me? i.e the trainer, subscription and any associated kit I need?

Least, £250 plus £14 per month.

Anything from there up..

You can do for less, if you go ‘dumb’ turbo from Ebay etc not a smart turbo, you’re then in for £50 and £14 a month.

Premier Icon winston
    Subscriber

So something as cheap as the Tacx Vortex trainer on CRC for £180 plus an ipad or laptop propped up on a shelf would work?

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

So something as cheap as the Tacx Vortex trainer on CRC for £180 plus an ipad or laptop propped up on a shelf would work?

No reason at all why not. For racing events/results you’ll need a HRM to be valid in the results, but you can race still, just not be included in results.

dirtyrider

i guess its not that mad if your a 60kg fly weight.its only 950watts.

this is where zwifts reliance on w/kg fails i guess

Premier Icon winston
    Subscriber

Thats cool – I have an HRM belt and a cadence sensor for my Edge 520, I assume they will work as both are ant+

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

As long as you have an ANT+ USB dongle then 🙂 or i don’t know about the iPad thing as i use laptop. I got one from Amazon for about £8.

trail_rat

im by no means a sprinter but i can put out 850w without too much difficulty for my 15 seconds but at my weight thats still only 10 w/kg .

how ever i was not outputting that after 54 minutes of 4.5w/kg

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

lol 4.5w/kg for 54mins, you’re no newbie !

trail_rat

new to zwift. Long time racer come and go. Always been said that i race better than my numbers say i should.

your still way out infront on alot of segments. – assuming your steve.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

I was him, I’ll be here m again, sadly I’m not him at the moment lol

My segment times are flattered by racing in packs

footflaps

I just bought a ‘smart’ turbo to enter the world of Zwift; went for an Elite Zumo (£450 @ Halfords). Then fell at the first fence it needs Bluetooth 4 and my 2010 MBP is only BT 2.1, so have just ordered a dongle to try and get it to connect..

I did manage to get some freebie app working on my phone and connected to it, to check it actually works etc. Not got as far as downloading Zwift yet…

Doing a bit of reading around, I might try TrainerRoad rather than Zwift, I think I just want structured training rather than random racing…..

Premier Icon nixie
    Subscriber

If you have a newish iPhone or Android then both should support BT4 and have the zwift app available.

footflaps

Yep, I did manage to get my iPhone 6s to connect, but it’s quite small when stuck on a table in front, I couldn’t read all the numbers etc. I suppose could get a handlebar mount, but I think the laptop will be a better solution…

A random Q: can you extract the power data from Zwift / TrainerRoad and import it into Polar Flow, or can Polar devices read power from the Turbo via BT? I quite like having all my data in one place and currently that’s Polar Flow…

Anyone else having Zwift crashes in the last couple of days when using ERG workouts?

Happened twice tonight, final session in free ride was ok.

trail_rat

Footflaps. I think the big shed is crying out for a TV…. Facebook market place for a cheap used old tech TV.

Hooked up the laptop.

Stuck a fan beside. It. Much more enjoyable than when I used to do sufferfest vids off an iPod mini 🙂

Yes it is stacked on 4 winter tires and a box of paslode nails.

Premier Icon BadlyWiredDog
    Subscriber

Stuck a fan beside. It. Much more enjoyable than when I used to do sufferfest vids off an iPod mini 🙂

I train in full colour. Works really well, monochrome pain caves are so 1960s 🙂

Anyone else having Zwift crashes in the last couple of days when using ERG workouts?

Happened twice tonight, final session in free ride was ok.

No, but they’ve installed two updates in the last week or so – might be a connection there.

trail_rat

told you the telly was old tech. 😉

Premier Icon nixie
    Subscriber

I’ve also got my laptop hooked up to an old 37″ TV. Though in the loft conversion on a mobile TV stand rather than our winter wheels :D.

Premier Icon BadlyWiredDog
    Subscriber

You need to go full steel frame with downtube shifters for consistency 🙂

footflaps

Footflaps. I think the big shed is crying out for a TV…. Facebook market place for a cheap used old tech TV.

That would compromise my holier-than-though no-TV middle class credentials. I can only watch Netflix on a laptop. Plus my laptop is so old I think it only has VGA out….

I train in full colour. Works really well, monochrome pain caves are so 1960s 🙂

Yep, full colour here.

I also find 404s help with aerodynamics on the Turbo…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2h7G4u5]Turbo setup[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

Premier Icon nixie
    Subscriber

A TV used only for a PC is not longer a TV, its a large monitor :D. Or ‘fitness equipment’.

footflaps

A TV used only for a PC is not longer a TV, its a large monitor :D. Or ‘fitness equipment’.

It’s still a step too far. I’d feel dirty just looking at it.

footflaps

NB Have road bike dropouts changed spacing since 2008? I had loads of trouble getting my bike to fit, the QR fittings were too wide….

footflaps

I got as far as a basic ramp test last night, up to 250 W and I thought I’d stop before it got too tough as Thursday is supposed to be a rest day…

No where near as fit as I used to be after 12 years off the bike!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2h7G9ev]Ramp test[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

Viewing 40 posts - 11,401 through 11,440 (of 11,503 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.