Zwift, my journey, my weight and my fitness.

Viewing 40 posts - 11,281 through 11,320 (of 11,403 total)
  • Zwift, my journey, my weight and my fitness.
  • Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Jumped on yesterday and rode for 45s… Yes really… 45s ! Decided my legs were simply not up to it, so jumped straight back off and got changed again.

Today i’m finishing early and my lad is away, so my plan is to jump on the Zwift bikes about 1.30 or 2 and do a decent 2 hours maybe 2.5. I want a lot of climbing in there, maybe a 10 min rest break too to simulate some of the SDW riding. Arguably i should be going more than 2.5 hours i guess, but i’m not looking for a full ride day simulation as such.

Premier Icon notmyrealname
    Subscriber

I had an off last weekend so the turbo has been set up again and the Zwift membership renewed unitl I’m fit to ride outside again.

Got the week off work this week and not much doing so I’ve decided to sign up for this:

https://zwift.com/events/view/193791

80km event tomrrow afternoon, it’ll make a change from the ususal 1 hour Zwift sessions I do. I’m expecting it to be incredibly dull but you never know, I may be surprised!

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

I’ll join ya mate if you’re thinking say 180w for it ? No plans for tomorrow here.

Subscriber

I normally just go by HR when I’m on Zwift so for something like this I’d aim to stay around 135bpm but I’ll happily give that a go at 180W

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

PErfect. I’ll see you on there matey. Won’t be going crazy here, so if that pace is a bit high (or low) i can work around it

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Great riding with you mate. Made it much less horrific.

Was funny when we reached half way and I was way way under yesterdays time in same route.
    But plugged on and used my power to sweep up 3-4 groups into a big group. We then flew along till volcano kom 2nd time round. My legs had peaked by then and all the people I’d brought back all dumped me on the climb. Lol.

It was then a trio to the last climb, where they dumped me and I solo ttd to the line.

Long turbo, too much effort, speed and power. But enjoyed it.

I may die now

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=193791

Subscriber

Cheers Weeksy, that was pretty enjoyable in a sadistic kind of way.

You knocked a hell of a lump off yesterdays time, flying on the first lap. You were steaming along when we dragged back that first group, made up 30s on them in next to no time. If I hadn’t got distracted by my phone and lost the group then I reckon we could’ve reeled in the next group up the road as well, maybe next time!

The second time up the volcano climb was tough, my legs were really feeling it but I got stuck in a bit of a battle with two other riders so ended up overdoing it there so had to ease off after that. Managed to get some life back in the legs and ended up getting pipped in the sprint by 0.02s.

I figured once I’d finished that I’d round it up to an even 100km which probably wasn’t the best idea and I’m absolutely shot now. Time for a recovery beer or two now.

dirtyrider

cheers for the ride-on Weeksy,

not my best race, 2 lap park perimeter, bit lumpy for us heavier folk, 13th in B 3.2w/kg, front group for a while, got dropped, cruised for a bit waiting to be hoovered up by a group behind, got dragged along for a bit, dropped again, did the last couple of km with 1 other, didn’t have the heart to contest the uphill finish so rolled home, still feeling iffy without actually having any symptoms,

Premier Icon nixie
    Subscriber

Frustrating effort for me last night. 10 laps of LaGuardia. Slightly different format in that the top ten got points based on position across the line each lap. Sounded interesting and a bit more suited to my tired legs, or so I thought. The first speed up started half way around lap 1, uh oh. I managed to hang on for that one, placed better for lap two and still there at lap three. All fell apart on lap four though and I dropped off the back. I finished the rest of the laps but at a sedate pace. Clearly one day recovery was not enough after IRL rides and 5 mile run over the weekend.

Premier Icon robbo1234biking
    Subscriber

The last week I haven’t been feeling much benefit from the Zwifting. Still on the Gran Fondo training plan in prep for the Jennride. Last night I didn’t have much time so did Jons Short Mix Instead. I have done this before but never been able to hit the 800W sprints. Last night I managed all 3 no problem as well as the 1 minute 400W efforts. So finally starting to see some payback for my efforts! Couple of weeks to go and I have run out of Gran Fondo workouts so I am switching to some ASBA Cape Epic workouts instead.

Premier Icon nixie
    Subscriber

Sounds like you are making progress robbo. Good work. 👍

dirtyrider

weird one tonight, Team Celebration, just B’s together, but it went off so quick, thought id be able to hold until Box but got spat out the back, ill blame the kids as they were arguing about Minecraft – just felt hard work, which of course it should, but hard in the laboured way, not in a good way, however, my time up Box was the 2nd quickest I’ve done, as was my London Loop, ill take something from that

pjm84

What sort of time do you do up Box dirtyrider?

I’m stuck at 8.26min and cant seem to go any quicker. I think that equate to around 366 watts average for the climb at 102kg.

blader1611

Dirtyrider – by all accounts that team celebration race was very rapid. I did the morning race and finished 3rd but it was well over a minute slower than your race.
    Pjm84 – i did a negative split up box hill this morning, first lap was 7:15 and then second lap was 6:55. Could have gone quicker but it was a tactical team race so held back. Thats a very good time you posted baring in mind i am 25kg lighter.

Subscriber

Had a quick spin around NYC on Zwift this afternoon,

It pinged up on the screen to congratulate me on getting to Level 11, “great” I thought, “I can have a go at the Alp du Zwift route now”

Turns out that’s at Level 12 so still a fair few rides away from getting there.

Bugger.

Premier Icon nixie
    Subscriber

@nmrn You can already do the alpe if you join an event.

@pjm84 that’s a decent power output for nearly 9 minutes. My power is very similar for box though like bladder I’m 25kg lighter.

I’m off crit racing tonight. Hopefully legs will be awake today!

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon
    Subscriber

Question for anyone who uses zwift for some sort of training, what’s it like for structured stuff?

I used it in the beginning back when it was free/Beta and got bored and/or found it a faff having to be logged on at a certain time. But really enjoyed doing sufferfest videos on TrainerRoad (obviously those are now separate).

I’m thinking of giving Zwift another shot as maybe the riding/racing would fit around real life rides better, i.e. an hours race on Zwift might be something like equal to a couple of hours evening ride if it’s pissing it down?

Or should I just go back to the sufferfest and do more specific training sessions, but be prepared to skip them if it’s sunny outside, I’m not going to do 40 minutes of VO2 max intervals indoors if its 25C and sunny outside and there’s a clubrun with coffee and cake as the alternative!

Also, if I ride to work that saves about 75% of the monthly subscription of any of them in petrol in just one day, so I’m not going to do sessions if it means skipping those real world rides!

Premier Icon Poopscoop
    Subscriber

weeksy

I want a lot of climbing in there, maybe a 10 min rest break too to simulate some of the SDW riding.

Just read this. You planning an sdw “adventure” mate?

I’ll be riding/attempting it again this year. Over 3 days I should add! Failed last 2 years due to crashes and being physically destroyed by the effort and heat.Lol

Trying to get fitter for the ride as it destroys me, even over 3 days. Also getting my shoulder sorted with daily physio after tearing the rotator cuff in a dumb/slow crash…

Both the above has compelled me to get back into Zwift in a structured way.

Doing the Fondo one at the moment but couldn’t complete today’s one. Just crushed me. It’s the one designed to help you keep up with break away packs etc. Can’t remember name.Lol

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Just read this. You planning an sdw “adventure” mate?

Yeah, mid July for BHF one.

Premier Icon Poopscoop
    Subscriber

Ah yes! I first rode (successfully! Lol) the SDW back in 2010. Very quite on the sdw until the last day when I ride the last 30 odd miles which coincided with a BHF ride as it happened.

The extra motivation of suddenly riding with a load of people on the last, long climbs near Eastbourne was immensely helpful.👍

Great memories of that ride. Hell even the last 2 aborted attempts have left me with amazing memories and pictures.

This year I will complete it! Lol

I’m wondering if Fondo is the best bet for me, starting from a low level of fitness?

Good luck with the BHF ride weeksy, I’m guessing you are doing the full 100??👍

Premier Icon robbo1234biking
    Subscriber

@poopscoop I am just finishing the fondo one. Are you sure your ftp is set right? It might be with looking at phase 1 of the etape du tour? Supposed to be a pretty good programme and starts from a lower base

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Good luck with the BHF ride weeksy, I’m guessing you are doing the full 100

Well, that’s the plan. We’ve done it 3 times now. But I’m not totally convinced a couple of the guys can do within the time limits

Premier Icon Poopscoop
    Subscriber

robbo1234biking

Subscriber
    @poopscoop I am just finishing the fondo one. Are you sure your ftp is set right? It might be with looking at phase 1 of the etape du tour? Supposed to be a pretty good programme and starts from a lower base

In truth my ftp might be wrong as I left it as it was from about a year back! Lol

I think I need to do an ftp test tomorrow…

Cheers, I’ll check out etape did your.

Weeksy, sounds like your mates are in for a surprise. Have they rode it before, the ones that might struggle I mean?

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Have they rode it before, the ones that might struggle I mean

Nope. We did a Ridgeway 90km a few weeks back. Which is a great distance but was only 1000m of climbing, not 3500m. We’re going to qecp on the 29th and riding to Amberley and back, so they’ll get more idea then. Hopefully.

Regarding Zwift, I’ve not raced for ages now, well, several weeks. But I’ve been up the Alp twice, epic kom 3 times and an 80km ride on zwift.
    Today was 40km recovery ride at about 120w maybe less.

Climbs tomorrow I think.

tomlevell

Question for anyone who uses zwift for some sort of training, what’s it like for structured stuff?

There’s oodles of training programs and sessions on it now which you can do anytime. I don’t use them as I use TR for that.
    You can pick a race almost anytime or chase strava times up climbs if the interval length is what you’re after.
    It’s had a lot added since I started at the end of 2017.

tomlevell

@weeksy you could do some V02 max intervals if you aren’t racing ;0)

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

I don’t even know what a VO2 max interval actually is mate 🙂

Did a bit of a climb today as usual, but went a little too hard for what i’d planned. So bailed earlier on the ride.

tomlevell

They’re fun and make you faster. Dead easy.

dirtyrider

What sort of time do you do up Box dirtyrider?

just had a look, there’s a billion segments so on this one

https://www.strava.com/segments/12744502

Zwift insider, never done a full on effort up it, so 9:00 flat at about 270w in the race,

weather is still naff here, and my direct debit for my subscription went out today so best use it – 12:20 Innsbruck today, 4 lapper today, usual dropped up the hill 1st lap, bit solo, gobbled up by a bunch, dropped them on the hill 2nd lap, eased off to let them back on, then it sort of slowed, 230wish for a bit on the flat through the start banner, couple got shelled on the 3rd lap hill, stayed with the group until the 4th lap hill, and i got shelled, ended up 20 seconds behind a small group,

7/12 on ZP, 3.2w/kg

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=196178

Premier Icon nixie
    Subscriber

Best place to look for segment times is on ZP. They have a league table of the most well known segments. Only thing I’m not sure is if it only counts efforts in events.

pjm84

Thanks Nixie,

Just looked at ZP and I’ve just managed to make the page 1 in the over 100kg category for BH with an 8.20 @363w average.

Premier Icon nixie
    Subscriber
    dirtyrider

i got a cup! 3rd in B reduced field (12 in B), but you have to race who is there 18:20 Volcano Flat 2 Lapper – stuck with the A group until the 2nd lap, cannot remember the point the elastic snapped, think it was in the rise before the descent to the italian villas, did for a couple of others as well, managed to bridge that gap, ended with a 4 way sprint, of which i got 3rd, they all got the jump on me but was bringing them back gradually but run out of road,

decent result all round

https://zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=196629

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Ah, the little kicker, a favourite place of mine to get dropped 🙂

Congrats on the result mate… Well done and well deserved.

Premier Icon nixie
    Subscriber

Well done @dirtyrider. Cups after a dry spell feel so much sweeter :D. That kicker is deceptive. Been dropped there so many times when not paying attention properly, if just a small gap opens its pain city to get back in touch.

Couple of laps of the Jungle last night for me. The race was defined by the climb to the bridge before turning off to the Jungle/Alpe. This hurt a lot. Six of us got clear and the following groups were too fragmented to take advantage of DD. Lap one was easy as a 3R A+ protected their B rider in the lead group. Lap two had a failed attack at the start and bit of a kick over the rope bridge but was easy pace after that. I dropped to the back of the six at 1.5k then tried to get the jump at 900m. It started to work but then I blew up and had to throttle back to finish 5th. Good fun race though.

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=196639

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

I’m still confused by today’s race.

Short race, small field.
    Set off at 1 min intervals.

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=196862

On the kick to volcano finish line on lap 2 I was dumped out, along with another rider. Me and him worked well enough and sucked up all the C’s apart from 1.
    But we were not overtaken by the A riders, we never saw a single A rider.

Decent enough power, but the legs are feeling it lately. Got a weekend away on the KTM to let them recover and then a last long outdoor ride before tapering for SDW.

Premier Icon niksnr
    Subscriber

So…….have kept my head down since first foray into Zwift. Am in week 8 of 12 on the Build Me Up training plan. Have just done another FTP test (rest day) as I was feeling the sessions were getting a bit easier. Gone from FTP of 217 to 255. 17.5% increase. Well chuffed. Know it’s not gonna be beating records but good to know focused training actually works! Down from 89kg to 83.5kg too which is a bonus!

Premier Icon nixie
    Subscriber

2.44 w/kg -> 3.05 w/kg gives a 25% increase in power to weight as well ratio. Nice work.

I’m heading out in the 8pm kiss race. Looks to be one STW rider signed up at the moment.

Premier Icon niksnr
    Subscriber

How do you affiliate yourself with STE on Zwift? Do I need an invite?

Viewing 40 posts - 11,281 through 11,320 (of 11,403 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.