Zwift, my journey, my weight and my fitness.

• This topic has 11,121 replies, 123 voices, and was last updated 2 days ago by  avdave2.
Viewing 40 posts - 11,041 through 11,080 (of 11,122 total)
  • Zwift, my journey, my weight and my fitness.
  • Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Should… maybe… HAS to… not unless he breaks the limits. He’s a very clever Zwifter that’s for sure, he hides really really well… putting out 200w, then a surge at 350w, then back to 200 and etc etc… It works very effectively as he seems to have the power to get out of trouble should he need it.

Was all good fun… Good race and learning curve, i need to work out how to get the 2 roundabouts and the hairpin section better, that’s where i lose out every time… It’s only 1% or in a few bits 2% but i struggle massively.

Premier Icon nixie
    Subscriber

I am not convinced by Bath salts claims of being a C. I think they are a sandbagging B. Did their friend chopper turn up to tow them around today?

In a change for me I did a group training ride earlier in the week (TeamODZ The Kraken). It as a sprint session which I was pleasantly surprised to find I quite enjoyed (despite feeling very sick after one of the sprints on lap 2). Set new best power outputs for everything up too 1min as well which was nice. I did however start to notice a horrible knocking noise/feeling starting from the bike/turbo towards the end of the ride.

Onto Wednesday, no warm up time available and having not done a handicap race for a while I had a go at the ZHR hounds and hare race. I’m thinking that I will try and use this sort of event as under over training as I can control the over sections with my turns at pulling as the pack works together more. I’d forgotten about the noise from the other day and it came back with vengeance. By the end of the ride it had grown from just a knocking to knocking and metallic noise. Was expecting the trainer to fail at any point. It was worse out of the saddle or anything over 350W. After lap 1 I pretty much hid in the pack to try and stay smooth and nurse the trainer home. Did a few pulls when I could get too the front without spiking the power too much.

We caught the lead B group a third of the way in the last lap (having blasted past other from the start of lap two). THere were too many Bs in that pack to break free again and we completed the race as a blob. It wasn’t until the last 1km that the power difference began to tell and gaps started to form. Ended up being a long, long sprint home which I did seated. I gave it as much beans as I could and came home 6th, though I think second would have been in reach with an out of the saddle sprint.

Post race I tried to work out what was up with the trainer and it looks like nothing. I’m using an old (12+ years) Lemond alloy road bike with carbon stays. The seat stays are bolted to the dropouts just above the rear axle. One of these bolts was loose causing the knock. I think the metallic noise was the frame flexing enough to cause gear rub! Clearly the spring session was just too much for it. I think I may need to look at a rocker board or old steel frame in the not too distant future.

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=172976

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

I am not convinced by Bath salts claims of being a C. I think they are a sandbagging B. Did their friend chopper turn up to tow them around today?

Not that i’m aware, but either way it wouldn’t have mattered, before i got dropped we were in a group of 20 or so, so towing wasn’t an issue… It was just for me, too fast.

blader1611

I got beat by the chopper the other day, he was way ahead hanging with a fast A group. I suspected at the time that he was a sandbagging A as it was quite an elite group of A riders. Not sure i see the point in doing that but not bothered by it as i am too busy trying to hang on to them.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

I honestly don’t care much as long as i enjoy it 🙂 Todays race veiwing the result on the App, i was 11th, there were a few C riders putting out 4+ overall, which I just simply don’t understand… i struggle with why you do it and go WAY over power to beat some random C riders. Just plain weird if you ask me.

blader1611

I just cant think of a reason to do it because everyone you are racing against know whats going on so just ignore you and anybody who doesnt cycle doesnt really care full stop. I guess there is nowt as queer as folk.
    I did the pursuit race this morning and was second overall, got pipped in the sprint finish by 0.014s. It was a very quick race and i think i set a few pr’s and some acheivements on a course i have done every thursday for the last 3 months. Legs are tired now so couple of weeks off the bike while the kids are off (may be a cheeky race in there) and then go in to more endurance rides ready for my first century ride in July. Realised that i had never done one so thought i best tick it off.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Due to peer pressure i moved to B for you lot….

I’m hoping to get re-instated in the result as i’ve got no HR monitor till tomorrow

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=173954

unoficially
    6 Steve Weeks STW (B)
    24:57

tomlevell

LOL I’m waiting for my demotion to C. I’d stick as a C if I were you. Mind you would have destroyed the C field.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Tricky one isn’t it. I don’t mind winning, but there’s winning and there’s taking the proverbial

blader1611

Weeksy – you destroyed the C group and held your own in B so nice riding. Welcome to B group, you will fit in very well for the rest of your cycling career (except on the hilly stuff). Practice the hilly stuff coz you are more than capable on the flat stuff.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Move to B they said

You’ll do ok they said.

London loop x2, box hill x2, weeksy, last in B. 6th out of 6.

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=174217

Flats were a cruise, hills, hmmm not so much.

dirtyrider

not a course that suits you though, so won’t have been a total surprise to you, I’m the same in races like that, never put out enough power on the descents

eskay

Had the joy of a twenty minute FTP Friday night, happy with a few more watts increase.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

not a course that suits you though, so won’t have been a total surprise to you

I know matey, was kidding. It’s all good. That just happened to be the only race that suited my timings yesterday, so for better or worse I gave it a go. Was happy until 2nd time up Box Hill, but my time up it was slow then which got me dropped from the group I was in. HR monitor worked though which was also a reason for me to do event.

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

never put out enough power on the descents

This weekend I was tasked do 2 X 2hrs Z2, which outdoors involves pedalling downhill . On my 300th KM this week 150 of which was turbo/Zwift my head was a bit vague with tiredness as i found myself turning 200w down a long steep hill with an unsighted sharp left turn at the bottom.

Would have been much safer on Zwift 😀

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

I’m still in a pool of quandry…

1. B or C… C or B…. .meh, i dunno. Part of me wants to battle in C until i’m forced up to B.
    2. New bike or stick with the Parkwood. I’m hoping to borrow one of the lads road bikes on Wed to do a test race and see if the geometry affects things.
    3. Race or cruise…. Legs are tired after indoor and outdoor riding… But i’m trying to burn the calories at the moment, so i did 45km yesterday cruising on Zwift, likely to do another cruise day today.

Need to save some legs as the wife is away from next weekend, so got a few days of outdoors planned with plenty of miles i’m hoping 🙂

tomlevell

C until you get upgraded as long as you aren’t sandbagging or upping your weight to stay in cat limits. Maybe jump into Bs for fun on the shorter flat ones as you are capable of getting cups if the cards fall right.
    How “fun” orientated is the Parkwood geometry? If you prefer MTB bars I’d be looking at a more racy geometry second hand frame and sticking a road chainset and cassette on. If I were optimising for power and comfort I’d be looking at a stupidly stiff frame probably with old style TT bullhorn bars giving a cruise upright position and aggressive sprint positionon the horns. You’d probably want DI2 with sprint shifters then too ;0)

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

C until you get upgraded as long as you aren’t sandbagging or upping your weight to stay in cat limits. Maybe jump into Bs for fun on the shorter flat ones as you are capable of getting cups if the cards fall right.

That’s pretty much my thinking. I’d love to be sandbagging LOL… If the day comes where i get auto bumped i’ll be very very proud of myself (in a zwift context of course)

How “fun” orientated is the Parkwood geometry?

I’m really not sure how MTBs and Road Bikes differ in this context.Whether the crank is in a different relative position for making more power due to seat-tube angles, or whether it’s the reach to the bars… I’m hoping to borrow a mates bike Wed, there’s a 11:05am race on a course i raced and distance from last week, then compare my time, speed, power and see if there’s any difference between the 2 bikes..

Of course we’re starting to get ridiculous then of “who really cares, does it really matter”… No is the obvious answer… but… kinda.

tomlevell

It matters. Just bear in mind it’s not your normal position so you may struggle to do the same power. An upright XC position I think in theory should be best for power output if you can also produce a good out of the saddle sprint position. I’d rather be on road bars than MTB bars but currently that’s not an option. Planning on putting the winter bike on at some point to see if it’s nicer.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

MAybe i should wait till Weds then as i can hopefully use a mates bike.. I’ve done it before from the context of having a road bike but then selling because i wasn’t using on the road and wanted to train on the SDW bike i was going to use, but in all honesty i’m not sure it matters that much. I do enough outside to get used to the bike i’ll use for SDW of that there’s no doubt.

Patience is not my strong point and the Planetx bike is shiny and new…

I was thinking about a Triban from Ebay, but you never know what you’ll end up with when buying used, at least with new, it’s… .well… new.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

The Shimano shoes and pedals arrived so what better a chance to test them than a greater London flat 1 lapper. A course, distance and race I know well and have raced many times.
    The other day when editing my name I lowered my FTP from 288 > 270. I didn’t feel I was anywhere near the 290 I once got bumped to, but wasn’t sure how far away I really was.

Race started properly quick! People and splits everywhere! But I found a group of 10-12 riders that was the 2nd main group and settled in. Up horseguards I thought I was in trouble at the top as usual but hung in, another rider ahead was closing the gap of 6-7m so I knew I’d be ok.
    Over the line into the main lap i was going ok. Power was good, HR slightly high but only 1-2 BPM at the most from where I wanted. Up to the split where the classique goes left and blam, my music goes off, the fan goes off and the internet has gone. Power cut.
    Any experienced Zwifters know that if you get lucky you can get away with it and not lose ground. But the seconds turned into minutes. Damn. I was 18 mins in now and I knew Zwift would still be registering my power so was worth hanging in for my 20 minute time and power figure.

22min in the power came back as I was about a minute from the line, but sadly I was 20s behind the guy ahead. I rolled over the line for the results

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=174886

FTP was updated to 285. Which it’s hard to be unhappy with as very close to my best ever and on the back of 8 hard days. Picked up a silver in C but convinced I’d have taken the win without internet drop but more importantly the 20 minutes power was good.

Will take a rest day tomorrow and hit the loan bike on Wed hopefully.

It was interesting using the pedals and shoes again as they’re much stiffer than the 5’10s which I’m hoping will help with the toe cramp I get off the bike at times, along with the off chance of giving me 1-2w more

Premier Icon nixie
    Subscriber

Well done for hanging in there. Is have got annoyed after a minute and turned it off. I think the shoes and pedals will make a difference even if it’s just that you can use your muscles differently.

tomlevell

If you optimise too much you’re going to get upgraded!

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

If you optimise too much you’re going to get upgraded!

That’s my wish/desire mate 🙂

I’m not in C because of a choice, i’m in there because i can’t get out (based upon their figures that is). I’d be MORE than happy to be kicked out of C and into B… that’s my intention/goal.

I’m sitting here watching all sorts of road/CX type bikes on Ebay waiting to press the button, but part of me thinks it’s a stupid idea LOL.

so close…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2e1kcFK]close[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

tomlevell

Yes I looked at those stats. So close now so yes I suppose if you can find a bit more with optimising when the inevtible happens you can add a bit more on top to help out.

Have you thought about aero bars and leg shaving?
    ;0)

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Yes, a few times.. but i don’t like the bubbly bits in them and the wife likes me being masculine and would likely leave if i shave my legs !

I think we’re past optimising now and and simply into “Is the Parkwood holding back them final few W”… Answer is… I don’t know…. But it may cost me £500 to find out 😀

tomlevell

Just go shopping here it’ll get you there.
    https://www.ceramicspeed.com/en/cycling/#utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shift_search_brand_uk
    May cost more than £500 and probably a divorce but then you could shave.

dirtyrider

Ive got an OSPW & BB on the bike i use on the turbo and im not divorced 😉

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Well i’m having a bit of a sulk tonight.

Got some foot pain in the right foot on the outside. I’ve had it before…. but only when i had SPD-SL shoes previously… The odds of it coming back right after fitting them and it being a coincidence…. Hmmmm i don’t think so. It generally goes away after 3-4 days, i think the SPDs are just generally a little bit too narrow for my big fat feet.

So we’re back on the flats again for racing etc… Sigh… Ah well.

Anyway… Tomorrow 11:05am for a little bit of Richmond Flat fun i think is the order of the day for me. WFH tomorrow so early lunch and race fun.

dirtyrider

Well i’m having a bit of a sulk tonight.

i went full meltdown this evening, and the air was blue – my window of opportunity is so small sometimes, however on these occasions the sodding bluetooth never connects or some such nonsense – was going to do the 1800 ToW, anyway, nothing connected and i was on with 90 seconds to spare, had to reboot the laptop, for some reason when i joined it dumped me in 300th out of 3000 – so cracked on, equalled my 5 minute best power for 2019 in the first 5 minutes, 20 minute wasn’t too shabby considering there was 5km of downhill before the jungle climb, ended in a blob of 30-50 riders, was powering through the pack at the end, not too shabby overall – finished 317/3760

Premier Icon frogstomp
    Subscriber

Weeksy – do you get the pain if you ride with the shoe not done up as tight? If not, also try playing about with the clear position.

Rowe & King Tuesday Chain Gang for me this evening.. “the toughest workout on Zwift” – certainly felt tough for the second set of increasing reps!

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Weeksy – do you get the pain if you ride with the shoe not done up as tight? If not, also try playing about with the clear position

Tbh mate not sure, it’s many many months since I wore this type of shoe. It wasn’t particularly tight but it is ‘tight’ compared to my normal 5’10s so I think it’s simply pushing on the outside of my foot.
    It’s enough of an issue that I’ll flog them, use flats again even if I minor loss in performance.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

finished 317/3760

That’s most impressive! Nice work there.

dirtyrider

Well the position is slightly made up considering i started a couple of minutes late and got dumped near the front, but i held position i guess

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=175689

Mostly just a copy/paste from the other 240 races lol. The results show a much smaller group than the one we were in.

Short report….
    Richmond Flat, 4 laps. Spent the first 3 laps in the lead group of 23… Sometimes even finding myself in P1. Funnily enough i was in P2 in the run to the line to start the last lap. Pace was tough, but not impossible. Stayed in the group for the next 2/3 of the lap but along with most of the Cs we lost the B/A riders in the last 1.2km as they surged and upped the pace. I was in a 3 way sprint for the line, except mine wasn’t a sprint.
    Good entertainment if a slightly disappointing result 🙂

tomlevell

Well the position is slightly made up considering i started a couple of minutes late and got dumped near the front, but i held position i guess

I started near the back of 2900 reported riders but I was doing a ramp test to start with. Once the power got up I passed about 600 then lost a few hundred recovering at the bottom of the jungle. Repassed about 200 again jumping between groups. Quite good fun once it’s all split up later on pretending to be Cancellara jumping between groups in Paris Roubaix the last year he won it I think.
    Finished 2043

dirtyrider

You’d have got a cup in B

Small field for 11am though, ToW hangover maybe? always suprises me how many entrants they get for the “tours”

tomlevell

They are very good for engagement but I think it’s more the publicity given to them in emails. The GCN actual races got over a thousand as IIRC Zwift emailed out about them.
    I don’t find them fun to “race” though as you are basically continually ploughing through a mass of riders.

Premier Icon nixie
    Subscriber

Just warming down from a short TT. **** that hurt. ‘Only’ 17km on a flat course. Went out quite hard and by 7km was averaging 4.6wkg 1s behind second place (OTR) and feeling quite good. 2k later it bit back and my power started going all over the shot. List contact with second of just tried to hang onto third. Lost a 30s lead to fourth in 7k but just managed to stay ahead to the line. Bronze in the road but silver on ZP 😀. Small field though.

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=100175615

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

341w ouch!

Viewing 40 posts - 11,041 through 11,080 (of 11,122 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.