Zwift, my journey, my weight and my fitness.

• This topic has 11,336 replies, 129 voices, and was last updated 4 days ago by  weeksy.
Viewing 40 posts - 11,001 through 11,040 (of 11,337 total)
  • Zwift, my journey, my weight and my fitness.
  • mooman

Its interesting to see how serious the zwift racing is becoming with the controversy about weight doping … any idea how much the winners of these shows actually win?

18.55 Gladiators race for me tonight. Not done a race for over a week, and only 1 or 2 little spins on bike inbetween that. Front group must have been pros (professional weight-dopers of course) so they dropped me on first climb. I stayed with a fast 2nd group until the last climb – then the same old story of getting dropped towards top of climb and not being able to get on back of them as the descended.

**RESULTS**

Premier Icon frogstomp
    Subscriber

Have enjoyed doing a few of the (Luke) Rowe & (Dani) King group workouts recently. Unlike a lot of the Zwift workouts they don’t try and hit every zone in a session. This evening’s Chain Gang work-out was a tough series of varying length (1-5min) ‘free ride’ intervals.

Does anyone know if you can view all the workouts for a particular organiser? Otherwise it’s easy to miss them unless you check the list on a regular basis, especially if it’s not mentioned in the title of the workout.

Edit: found you can search by text on WhatsOnZwift

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Well as they say, a wins a win, but i was a smidgen disappointed with how part of it went

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=169588

Lap 1, all good until the hill in the middle, lost the fast boys but hung well with the group i wanted. This group i felt was a higher group than i ought to be in, but i was doing OK in it… Over the line for lap 2, we’ve pulled in a few and dropped them and we’re cracking along… Hit the hill again as a group of 9… I went over the top in P2 for the group, with 6s down on the guy ahead and 4s up on the guys behind… It was just after this it all went wrong… As it drops back down theres, a slight rise and as we hit this rise the absolutely FLEW past me with the drafting effect, just disappeared and next thing i was 3s down on them and losing fractions ! then seconds, then it was over, their speed as a group just blew me apart.

But i had a decent lead over the next group back and i was feeling somewhat OK with things.. legs not bad, HR high but again, OK… So i cracked along at 270w or so for the last 1.5km and not quite held the gap behind, but kept it plenty safe and had more left in the tank if i’d needed it.

Would have given me a decent placing in B as well that… But that’s the sort of course that really suits my strengths as a rider.

blader1611

Nice win Weeksy, you destroyed the rest of them. Never done a 2 lap of that course, i think i would prefer the slightly slower pace of a 4 lapper.
    I did the grind race this morning and stuck with every attack the Dirt team could throw at me. I was in a bunch sprint and ended up 8th just a second behind the winner. Well pleased with that as it was my highest avg watts for a race (268w) and its pretty flat with only a couple of ramps in it.

Premier Icon nixie
    Subscriber

Nice one Weeksy :D.

I’ve not raced that course in months. Really want to have another go at it.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

It suits me because the first 4-5km is pan flat. So i can hang with faster riders than somewhere like London which has the kick up a couple of early times into the ride, so the A’s bin us fast Cs there.. but at Innsbruck it’s flat right until the big (to me) hilly bit, which means i’m higher up than usual. Luckily if i can get the right Bs and Cs with me i can hold them on the hill and it’s then flat again… So works well for strong fat blokes. 🙂

Premier Icon welshfarmer
    Subscriber

As if by magic…. just come in from 4 lap race of the same Innsbruck circuit. Stuck myself in as a C and am glad I did as I ended up with a bronze 🙂 Pretty straightforward race all told, apart from my first shouting at for holding a wheel of someone who was pissed that I hadn’t done any work in a group and then broken away on my own (I was just using up a drafting bonus before the finish line). Very strange, as he then went on to break away on his own! I always try and take a turn on the front of a group so no idea what had bugged him so much. I noted that he was riding as a C but finished mid pack in the B’s.
    Whoever it was on here who said the hill mid lap was a 1 minute climb, I thank you. Was a great help knowing that I could pace myself out for that time with a bit left in the tank to power off the top corner. This always seemed to bring quite a big reward from there on in until the finish line more or less.

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=171915

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Looking at your race and figures, we’d be a good race.

big yim

Sounds like a good week for stw on zwift! I entered some 8 lap London route this week and held on for about half a lap before sliding further and further back. Just didn’t seem to have the legs from the off
    Results seem to show I did okay though on zpower in cat ç
    https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=168679

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

8 laps of the classique, that’s a proper ride ! Great work.

blader1611

Well new kickr core arrived this week as the last one was faulty but alas the new one is worse so looks like that is going back. I am not having much luck with these but at least Wahoo have been really quick to resolve it. Did the sprintapalooza ride this morning and smashed the sprint section on watopia flat, managed it in under 20s (19.33) for a new pr, maxed at 962w and pretty sure i broke my 15s power but as i bailed before the end i cant see my results on ZP. Anyway i can find my result even though i bailed half way through to do another race? That sprint segment i managed 23s at avg 750w so its got to be good 15s power.

blader1611

It seems i am a far better rider if i have no fuel and no warm up. Did Innsbruck race this morning and was going quite nicely with the front group. Some of elite A group went off the front but we maintained them at 25s or so for the full race. I was hanging in with the second A group and a couple of other B’s but it reqd some huge efforts up that dreaded hill. I think the third lap i avgd 465w and peaked at 700w up that hill which hurt a lot! Even when i realised on lap 4 that it was actually a 5 lap race that mental blow didnt stop me. I stuck with the group and managed to win the sprint to the line, 6th overall and silver in cat B. No fuel or warm up is the future.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

LOL not sure it always works out… but that’s a cracking effort there buddy.

I’m in for the 14:15 short flat one today, then a bit of a bimble round after. Arguably i should rest today but tomorrow will deffo be a rest due to family plans, so i’ll ride today and wipe myself out.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Timing worked out nice and I got a little 6-7min warm up before the race.

Went off hard and strong, holding in with the As until the top of horseguards on lead-in.
    As we split I ended up with quite a strong B, but he couldn’t hold the 5 riders closing in us, as he was at 3.6, I couldn’t help either, so I sat and waited for them on his wheel.
    They caught just over the line on start of London flat, so we all bunched and I played hide and seek.
    There were 2 other C’s in the group of 7, I was wondering how they were, checked my HR, 196, errrrm no. My monitor gas been playing up a bit lately, this was clearly miles out.
    As we continued I was doing ok, we went along past turn for Box and one guy split us, poops, then another a d another, so 3 were pulling away, then another B pinned it and I went with him at 450w or so, we killed the other C’s and he dragged me into the 3. Nice. Up the underpass and I nearly lost the wheel in the run down, but just about hung in.
    Race for the line I wAs destined to be last, but one guy went way early and I pipped him on the line.

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=172188

Gold by about 45s, so a convincing win really. Arguably one of my best performances for many many races

dirtyrider

First week off in a while, moved house though and a primary school coffee morning scuppered my only window of opportunity, now everything is upside down and im back at work with 4 shifts in 5 days and an upside down house with no internets, whine whine whine, sodding real life 🙂

blader1611

Nice win weeksy, another destroyed field says to me that you should be upgrading. It seemed a strange race looking at the stats,other than the top two there werent many riders with big 15s power. Its normally a bunch finish so i would have expected plenty to be hitting double figure w/kg.

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

It seems i am a far better rider if i have no fuel and no warm up

More likely, you aren’t leaving long enough gap between eating and racing, causing an insulin slump as the carbs are transferred.  You need to experiment by for me this is 90-120 mins.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Nice win weeksy, another destroyed field says to me that you should be upgrading

I hear ya, but ZP still has me as a C and I do often pick routes and distance to suit me. But admittedly I’ve got gold in 4 out of last 7 races. But it won’t actually change who I’m racing at the time etc. I’d still end up with slow B and fast C around me in the race. It’s not like I’ll magically go quicker

Premier Icon llama
    Subscriber

No racing for me but reached the end of the ‘build me up’ program (well, sacked off most of the last 2 weeks as I was ill). FTP Test 260 tonight, 3.4 w/kg, up from 210 at the start in January.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

I wonder how much improvement long term zwifters get. As we know, sometimes it’s a steep learning curve as you learn to work, push, suffer and get on with it.
    I wonder how taking someone who’s been zwifting hard for over a year would do.

big yim

Is anyone watching the finals on Thursday night? I might try and watch it live on YouTube.

I entered a”race” last night that turned out to be a time trial which I hadnt realised. The masters which was 12 laps of some short course in NY. Legs were still suffering from a long ride at the weekend and I could tell from the off it wasn’t going to be a good race for me. Ended up 4th/5 in cat b which was worked out from age groups. Seemed odd that the numbers were so low in my age category. Ended up with 2.9w/kg which I know I can do more than
    https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=172533 results here

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

I was having a bit of a debate with one of the Top Cs and have put myself into a short race against him on Thurs

https://www.zwiftpower.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&p=12383#p12383

It was a topic regarding whether i should or shouldn’t move up to B. OR wait until my power enforces it.

It seems from the ‘race rankings’ section, i’m sitting in 94th place. He’s not a million miles away from unbeatable within C…
    https://www.zwiftpower.com/profile.php?z=62302

Looking at his power, i need plan B rather than waiting for the sprint, so i’m going to be hitting the power about 2.5km out and seeing how long i can hang in if i can get a PU and get away. I can’t physically put out the 1000w i’d need to win a sprint.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

I was very confused by the results for a while Yim…

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

My tired efforts / poor strategy have me adjusted to a C in my profile. It’d be interesting to hit a race when fresh, as I’m having a crisis of confidence in paying for a coach.

I’m still of an opinion that un-coached riders – and Weeksy is a good example – seem to be able to put out consistently good multiple performances where coached riders seem to have 4/5 good races in them max.   If I don’t move up in XC races this year, I’m abandoning the cost of a Coach and will be in here more often for sure.

Or, it could just be me.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

It’s an interesting one Kryts, my performances rarely change from day to day, no matter how i feel, tired, great, completely dead, it’s the same.. (roughly), Blader is another.
    https://www.zwiftpower.com/profile.php?z=110351

He races longer, harder and faster than i do, day after day after day, with barely any rest. What his race profile doesn’t show is his ‘ride’ events too which he often does on the same days, doubling his race distance.

As we know, i’ve debated the structured stuff, i’ve debated the peaking, resting, racing thing, more than a few times… But Zwifting for the sake of it or indeed for the sake of training, doesn’t do it for me, i’m either riding outdoors or i’m racing on Zwift.

tomlevell

I’d like a coach but in no way can I justify/afford one. I can justify £100 to Trainerroad though (and Zwift) and although I’ve followed the plans poorly since Xmas I can see the benefits over the last 15 months and it’s entirely possible they could have been greater if I’d stuck to the plan and not gone off and done other stuff like Zwift racing but my head needs to do some of that at times. My flat speed is far better, recovery from efforts is far quicker, general climbing speed is better. Top end hill climb race pace hasn’t got back to my very best but I was so single minded focused in the run up to that event I’m not sure I can hurt myself that much again on that hill but I’ve destroyed a few PRs at max efforts at the end of last year so I’m going to say it’s better.
    Actual FTP hasn’t moved much in the last year, 265 to 279, but all the above is better. It’s March and I’ve barely ridden up a road hill outside this year and last night I pretty much matched my best time up an 8 minute climb that I set in July when I was aiming at hill climb season. I was disappointed not to beat it but on reflection it’s a good place to be right now.

@kryton57 you have to look at where you started and what the actual gains are to justify the coach. Returns are going to diminish at some point and could you motivate yourself to do the intervals without one? That’s the challenge I have this spring/summer to actually do some indoors every week.

big yim

Weeksy why have you told him your tactics?! He’s going to be waiting for an early attack now.
    I don’t know how some people manage to put in the miles that they do with no or very little recovery. I need a fair few days again for my legs to feel right. Although I don’t do cool down rides or recovery rides

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

Fair points Tom.   I’ve yet to race properly so maybe I’ll see a difference soon.   If you look at “numbers”, I have a watts vs HR graph in the training software and there is a marked increase from 2018 to 2019, my top end numbers are up, and my 2hr pace is up. Climbing is a weakness but I can “feel” it has improved and see that via Strava Cups. So its definitely doing something.

I guess the issue of “worth it” comes when consider last year I moved from finishing mid pack to top third.  This year who knows but if you aren’t troubling the top 10 is it worth being coached?  I don’t know.

Otherwise its as you say -the accountability to actually perform the workouts to the desired effort us there, and you have to assume a coach in a well know national setup knows what they are doing.  The Builth Marathon is in a few weeks which is a target event with a proper taper – I’ll see then I guess.   I may just being being miserable, I’m quite tired at the moment.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Weeksy why have you told him your tactics?! He’s going to be waiting for an early attack now.

TBH Yim, it won’t matter LOL. He’s got tonnes of power, if i go, he’ll go…. The other part of the issue is that the run in to the end of that layout has a couple of 1-2% sections which is where i suffer most, along with the ramp up in speed that comes that far into the race. My plan is to go early yes, but early being really early…
    I suspect though, he’ll get the jump on me before that in the initial shake up with the A/Bs.

I don’t do cool downs or recovery rides often…. Although i’m likely to do one today sort of, planning an outdoors ride about 2pm-4pm.

blader1611

I actually do all my riding during the week and never ride at the weekend so i get 2 days recovery every week which seems to suit me. In fact my worse rides are almost always on Mondays after the rest period, i guess i am a tour rider as i get better as the week goes on. I will be changing my riding now to train for long distance rides which is a shame as i seem to have just discovered the art of a sprint finish. I need longer hilly rides to cope with Yorkshire hills so a lot less racing from April plus more outdoor rides.
    Did the grind race this morning and i was so focussed on keeping the power up on the volcano kom that i passed the line without realising and never put a sprint in! I ended up 12th because people sprinted for the line whilst i was staring at my headset, what a clown i am!

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

These Pros are animals uphill,!

dirtyrider

savage sprint there from the pros

anyway back to Kryton, im another like weeksy, i could structure my riding/training, but im not sure what id get from doing it, i love zwift racing, but dragging the family or going solo to races here there and everywhere on a weekend, that’s not for me, or us as a family

i know my fitness increases from just riding more, but its never terrible even if i don’t, i’ve done 52 zwift races this years, there’s only 7 under 3w/kg, plenty of people would be quite happy with 3w/kg even when peaking. my power hovers between 265w and 300ish depending on how often i get out/on

My riding is on the fly, grab an hour here, a hour there, zwifting has certainly helped in this regards over the winter, when i just wouldn’t bother (compared to a few years ago when i used to commute 30km either way, most of the year, even in winter) I ride hard when i can get out and apart from 2 sportives (tour of the peaks and the beast) last year i cannot remember a outdoor ride over 2 1/2 hours, it’s hard with young kids (and i have 4 at home with me, the eldest being 8), but it is what it is, the only consistent window i have with no distractions, and this has only been since September, is Thursdays 9:30-12:30 when the youngest is at nursery and the mrs at uni as long as i don’t get a shift fall there,

no way at this point in my life could i commit to anything more, although im not sure i ever would, even if i could – be interesting to see what next years brings, all 4 will be in 0845-0330 schooling, and for the first time in the best part of 8/9 years the house will be quiet during the day, ill probably spend the first 6 months catching up on sleep 🙂

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

<span style=”display: inline !important; float: none; background-color: transparent; color: #222222; font-family: ‘Open Sans’; font-size: 16px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 22.4px; orphans: 2; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;”>would be quite happy with 3w/kg</span>

Oh right, so perhaps I should be grateful with the last race where I admitted to getting stuck at easy pace being measured at 3.1kg?

At my last good XC race I came at an estimated 3.67 w/kg, 19th regional.   But its the accumulated fatigue I’m sure – tonight I’ve struggle with 2×20 at 3.12/kg – the same I’ve been cruising through in previous weeks.  I’m at the end of a block, and have done a 5am to 8pm day at work, plus end of quarter sales stress!

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

The thing for me Kryts, is that you seem to be either unhappy with your performances or disasppinted with your results almost every time we see you post on them, whether they’re indoors or outdoors, you don’t seem to enjoy it at all. There’s always “at the end of a block”…. Surely a coach will understand that at the end of a hard 2 weeks, performance may drop and tailor your training accordingly ? Does he understand how unhappy you appear with cycling ? I often read your posts, not only thinking you’re going to quit with your coach, but quit cycling completely.

Cycling first and foremost IMO should be a pleasure, it should be enjoyable in some way, even if that’s only seeing the results from training i guess… .but it still should be an enjoyable thing.

Is it ?

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

Surely a coach will understand that at the end of a hard 2 weeks, performance may drop and tailor your training accordingly ?

He does – its me that has a hard time when I don’t do very well.  There is an element of “what did you expect?” here from all of you, and him.

I employ a coach to make me faster, not make me happy.   That I have problem engaging between the two is my issue not his.    I’m in a lull now because I’m tired, its been a long hard winter, I’ve a lot of work stress.   I could race well at Builth, I then have a weeks family holiday and likely/hopefully will come back bouncing.

You need to bear in mind I have a default glass half empty personality 😉

tomlevell

tonight I’ve struggle with 2×20 at 3.12/kg

I assume by that you managed them though. Doubt the coach was expecting it to be easy.

Zwift racing is difficult to get your w/kg up if you are stuck in a group. If you attack it’s unlikely to stick so you end up back in the pack going relatively easy. MTB racing unless you’re at the pointy end is basically at threshold the entire time. If you are sat in the front 2 you might be trying to relax for a last lap attack.

3.7w/kg is pretty bloody good and I’m assuming you can test at that or higher?
    Trainerroad are always bigupping anyone who is 4w/kg as it’s not an easy power to get to especially once you’re getting on a bit. Not unobtainable but generally requires a decent effort to get there.

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

I assume by that you managed them though.

I did.

I’m assuming you can test at that or higher?

Thats was September last year.  I tested in November after a month offer and it went down to 3.55w/kg.  I’d expect to be a bit higher now, when rested.  I’d really like to get to 4w/kg but I’m not a powerful rider as I’ve alluded to before.

Anyway, the important thing for me these days is holding 225-235w for 4hrs 😀  The former I can do, the latter is a stretch.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Got my ar53 handed to me by the TopC.. Just couldn’t hang in the A/B group, was too hot…. damn….
    At least we know where we stand in the C pecking order.

HR strap died… changed battery yesterday and got nowhere with it today…. So it’s in the bin. LOL.

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=173489

blader1611

Weeksy – i race against the top 3 in that B group regularly and a few others and i can say without hesitation that i can barely hang on to them either. You would have done amazing to hang in with them but i suspect if you had you would have dq’d on w/kg. Very well done though,it looked like a tough race for C group.

big yim

Surely if the guy is winning all the time in c then he should move up to cat b

Viewing 40 posts - 11,001 through 11,040 (of 11,337 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.