• This topic has 15,382 replies, 380 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Caher.
Viewing 40 posts - 10,601 through 10,640 (of 15,383 total)
  • Zwift, my journey, my weight and my fitness.
  • Flaperon

Incidentally – I only figured out recently that you can ride the off limits areas of Watopia by joining a race or a group ride going through there even if your Zwift level isn’t high enough.

You don’t have to stay with the group or the race, just leave the event once you’re through the barrier.

weeksy

Was an inch from toppling from the bike at the end; there’s something about racing real people that makes you work harder

You’re not the first, nor the last 🙂

Nice result though too…. trophy in B… impressive. We have quite a decent little team at STW i think considering some would believe non of us ride 🙂

weeksy

Debating the 3:05 climby one today… couldn’t be a less appropriate race for me and would likely be using it more for just someone to ride with than pushing myself hard… but part of me doesn’t want to see a crappy result on my rankings score lol

But i don’t really know…. It seems London is the default today, so could just cruise round the flat for the session, but there’s very little to keep you going sometimes unless racing…

tomlevell
    weeksy

LOL GTF out of here…

nixie

That looks evil!

weeksy

Oh FFS.

Did the race. 1 lap of Innsbruck but the big climb, ok. What it never mentioned was the lead in was also the climb, then we went down and back up a 2nd time. Honestly couldn’t face a 2nd go up it like that and called it a day. First time up didn’t go too badly actually. But 2nd, bah.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’ve started using Zwift this past couple of weeks and fancy having a try at a race but not got any idea what I’m doing!

Can I just pick the appropriate category for my W/Kg, sign up and get on with it?
    Is there anything else I need to do or know?

I’ve seen a couple of things mentioning drafts and double drafts but I’ve got no idea what they mean.

Is there a Zwift Race idiots guide anywhere?

Flaperon

*sigh*

Just looked on ZwiftPower and I’ve been excommunicated from B and stuffed into A.

Which isn’t great because I consistently end up finishing at the very bottom of the scoreboard. Takes all the fun out of the race.

weeksy

That’s pretty much it yes. Pick it and pedal.

All races start off crazy. Hit the power with 5-6s to go on the countdown and hang on as well as you can. Don’t be too tempted to just keep going nuts, but hold a high HR.

The rest comes with practice and time.

eskay

If you are not an A rider then do not be too disappointed when you get dropped, they normally (but not always) start all the riders together. I didn’t realise that the first time I raced and blew up big time trying to stay with front riders!

notmyrealname
    Free Member

That sounds straightforward enough.

No doubt I’ll get my arse handed to me but it’ll be interesting to see how it goes.

iamtheresurrection

notmyrealname
    I never really wanted to race on Zwift, been on there a long time but only really used it when the weather was too bad to go out. My kids are finally at an age where I can get on the turbo at 7ish most nights without feeling like there are still 100 jobs to do, and entered a few races now since Jan.

I’m sure there are lots of tactics, I haven’t a clue what they are. I just keep trying to keep a wheel of the person in front.

No question I’m working harder now on the turbo than I have ever done before, and enjoying it a lot. I wish I had entered races a long time ago…

blader1611
    Free Member

Anybody with a kickr or kickr core,does the main unit get quite warm after a session? Just want to make sure this is normal.
    I have finally settled on a trainer difficuly setting after some faffing trying to get it right. It seems around 75% is good for me.
    Did a sprint test on Tuesday while on a social ride and i managed to break the 1000w barrier. I hit a max of 1031w (previous best on tacx flow was 796w) and i managed 11s at avg 880w which i can assure you felt more like 11 days, that hurt and i am def not a sprinter.

robbo1234biking

Did a mini crit last night on the volcano circuit. Pace went of very fast but I kept with the main group for the lead in and the first lap. Some C’s caught us for the second lap which increased the pace so I just couldn’t keep up but kept plugging away sitting in around 5th in the D’s. Crossed the line in 19min 30secs so kept the power up for another 30 seconds to give me a 20 minute time as I thought I had done pretty well with my power.

When I left the game zwift increased my FTP from 256 to 269W! That was a pretty good gain and I don’t think my FTP has changed since September last year. Pretty happy with that!

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=146269

weeksy

269W that’s a long way from a D matey LOL. That’s a race winning C at times, depending on your 30-45min power of course, but 269w is strong for D. Maybe time to think about moving up.

mooman
    Free Member

Flaperon

*sigh*

Just looked on ZwiftPower and I’ve been excommunicated from B and stuffed into A.

Which isn’t great because I consistently end up finishing at the very bottom of the scoreboard. Takes all the fun out of the race.

Had to check if I hadbt written this …

Zwift had finally seen sense and dropped me into the B cat … two races this week; started last nights Chop race in the B, and dropped in the last few Ks … and they moved me back up to A!!! and still only 3.9kg/w

robbo1234biking

@weeksy – it is right at the top of a D but I couldn’t maintain it for a long race. That is where Zwift only using 20 minute power for FTP is a bit innacurate. So I might be able to compete for the first 20 or 30 minutes at C level I invariably drop off towards the end. That is something to work on though and I am definitely showing some progress which is good.

tomlevell

@mooman there’s a calculation on your profile under the ? next to your category. You have to work back your 3 best 20 minuntes @ 95%.
    Might give you an idea though. You’ve probably improved on your worst one to bump you back over the limit as an average.

weeksy

So who’s in for what today ? I’m as usual, struggling to find something i fancy, suits me and a decent sized field.
    It may have to be the 12:05 Gotham Grind race i think… Although i have no idea what that layout is yet.

blader1611
    Free Member

I am doing the mgcc pursuit race but if my legs allow it i might jump on that race weeksy although i may enter as a C and just tag along if i can keep up.

weeksy

I saw you were 🙂 But i’m not in the same league as your races… Your stats have been impressing me massively mate… every time i see you you’ve got multiple 50+ minutes per day.

Looking at the layout it should suit me reasonably well…. Legs are a bit stiff today but far from terrible… long warm up today to get the KMs in for the week and then a shortish race… sounds ideal.

robbo1234biking

I might do the 10pm Innsbruckring race tonight. Little one has football so by the time we get back and have something to eat. Saying that tea is in the slow cooker so the Mrs can have hers and I can wait until after a race.

weeksy

10pm ! I’ll be going to bed about then.

nixie

Think I’m going to do the BRT crit at 7.20 as logn as the children comply atbed time!

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’m going to give the 3R LaGuardia race a go at 17:15.
    First time racer so it should be an eye opener for me.

robbo1234biking

Had missed that crit nixie so I might do that. Think 10 laps put me off but they are only 1.7 mile laps.

blader1611
    Free Member

The pursuit race today was out of this world fast and it had a twist. Riding in my B group today was none other than Mark Cavendish. We had a good bit of banter during the race but it was so fast that texting was difficult. I actually got dropped for the first time in the pursuit rsce, pace was crazy through the ruins and then the A group came through us like we were stood still, it was impressive and shocking how fast they were going. I think Cav stayed with the B group but i think he actually came second! It was hard to tell as i was a minute behind him. Nice of him to join though and have some banter.

Alex

I enjoy this thread even tho I’ve never done a race. I’m in week 7 (of 12) of the Build-me-up Workout. It’s 4-5 hours a week so quite a commmittment and I’ve found myself in a cold shed when I could be in the pub!

It’s felt quite easy most of the time. This week tho emphasis has moved from under/over intervals to lots of vo2 max and 115% FTP stuff. After the last one, I still felt okay and had a go up box hill. Really wasn’t sure the training was ‘working’ but was amazed I could hold 3.0kw/kg (which is not much compared to most on here) after an hour of beasting myself doing intervals.

I’m sure it’s easy to get power (and HR) with ERG Mode off. Also how much more ‘fun’ it was with other riders (and DRAFTING..) than just watching the screen for interval stuff. Still I’ll stick with it until the end. All these extra kms (done around 750km on Zwift since 1 Jan) have unlocked the aero bike on level 13…

Do enjoy the odd Cat C group ride. Still not sure I want to try racing tho…

nixie

@robbo It’s a short and easy enough lap (unlike the five laps up to the NY KOM last week!). Double draft though so watch the gaps. It only appeared last night as there were problems getting the event listed for some reason.

daviek

I know this is a wee bit off topic but I used to use zwift but I work away from home and the bike in the gym is Ant+ only has there been any more word on the Android version getting Ant+ compatibility?
    I could use it at home and not at work but it sort of breaks the flow and I have serious motivation issues with going to the gym after work and think having zwift would help.

tomlevell

I’m tempted by the 7:20 one now too. Don’t bank on me turning up though.

@alex
    I tend to do races when I’m a bit bored of training sessions. Might not be getting the same benefit but mentally I might need it. I do a few then step back again for a while.

Alex

Thanks Tom. I’ve been doing the group rides for that. But I get a bit bored when I think I can try a bit harder (especially on the hills) but I don’t want to be one of those who rides away from the group.

What’s the easiest/simplest race to join? I expect it entirely depends on what you’re good at. I’m pretty rubbish at anything but I’m okay at hills and rubbish at drafting!

weeksy

That looks like a big BRT fest in C cat… One of my ‘zwift enemies’ on too, Patch Harvey. There’s not many Cs who beat me every time but i don’t think i’ve ever beaten him.

robbo1234biking

The Zwift first base races on Monday nights are a pretty good place to start but any races are easy to join. Just check the course in Zwiftpower to see what you are facing!

tomlevell

You’ll have to get good at drafting (hanging on?) Any really but not the ones with massive hills as you’ll find you aren’t good at climbing (in comparison) and end up on your own.

Any of the Watopia ones are good IMO. Enough climbing to be interesting.
    Pick a race any race. The more riders the more likely you are to get in a pack of similar ability. I’m guessing you’d be a C so don’t try and hold the front end out of the start but do go hard and then try and sit in.

That 7:20 one looks good. If you do get dropped a group will be lapping you pretty damn quick to try and tag onto.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Quick question about the races.

For the start does it all do everything automatically when I’m signed up for it so I just need to start pedalling when the flag drops (or whatever start signals they use!)

nixie

Start pedalling before the countdown finished. You’ll need to be 120% or above FTP when it goes off (or a few seconds before). Expect pain for the first few minutes. Most races settle down by 5 minutes to a more sustainable pace.

Get into the game about 20 mins early if you can to warm up. The main game will give a count down to join the event in the bottom right and there are several prompts which will auto join. I’d not go in later than 2 mins before the start. If its a big event then up to 10 mins early so you are at the front. The companion app will also prompt you to join the event. Easiest way to sign up is via companion app.

nixie

Also some races are mixed start (A,B,C,D start together from different pens). Others are your cat only. If mixed cat don’t try and hang on to those much faster than you for too long (though this is a useful tactic for pulling you away from the rest of your cat). Try and keep an eye on where the first of you cat is. I think the position you are shown is for your cat only even in mixed starts.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Thanks nixie, sounds pretty straightforward.

Viewing 40 posts - 10,601 through 10,640 (of 15,383 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.