• This topic has 15,382 replies, 380 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Caher.
Viewing 40 posts - 7,561 through 7,600 (of 15,383 total)
  • Zwift, my journey, my weight and my fitness.
  • blader1611
    Free Member

Just completed first race this year and that was tough. Road to ruins was my road to ruin after xmas excess and a couple of weeks off the bike. I was in B group and going nicely, first up the big climb and cruising well but then the continuous 2/3% gradient just sucked the life out of me about 2/3rds of the way round i just fell out of the back of the group. Lack of riding time and having to do it indoors when its 20c plus it was a pretty fast pace sapped me and i fell back and just TT’d painfully to the finish. Having reset my ftp to zero a few weeks back, this race put it to 281w so it was deffo a quick race. New ftp test in April so hoping to build fitness to then to see if i can beat 310w of last year.

weeksy

Top work buddy!

scaled
    Free Member

I don’t know how you can be first over that hill and not win the race! Every time I’ve done that course the winner is in that first group. I’m left dying in the second group.

I bloody hate that map

weeksy

Firstly, regarding the Android Zwift events problem

Thank you for reaching out!

This is a known bug affecting Android users that we are currently working on fixing.

Expect a hotfix patch in the very near future.

So i jumped on the WBR 1 lap flat… in B…

Went off hard as you’d expect and hung onto the B’s mostly…. It went as you’d expect really. I hung on well up the small inclines putting out 4ish w/kg and then down into the village/sprint, under the banner in prime position and then BOOM ! Up the hill they destroyed me… just insane… 6.5+ for everyone…. I was left floundering with 1 other guy at 4ish again and they just blew us away. I tried to break earl from him, but i didn’t have it in me… he caught and passed me with 200m to go.

Power was decent, pace was decent… just missing that killer climb.

Shocked to see 6/17 on the results, thought i was further back than that in honesty.

scaredypants

Well done weeksy – decent, that

lucky i found you when you were knackered 😀

weeksy

I’m still miles from B though. As you’re aware, they’ve got them 500-600w bursts at will almost, I can sometimes kick for 10s like that, but after 10s I’m done. Along with their ability to hold way higher flat power than me.
    Good thing is, I know what I need, bad thing is, it means dropping 10+kg.

piemonster

That’s not a bad thing, that’s a hard thing.

piemonster

Actually, I need to lose 11kg, that feels pretty bad :-/

Although that’s at the limit of what I’d want to lose, any more is too much.

weeksy

I think I could easily lose 15 without it being too much, even that would only take me to 80.

First job is to get shifting the Xmas/winter stuff and get down to where I feel I ought to be. That’s going to take till at least March I guess.
    After that, we’ll see.

scaredypants

weeksy, I don’t think many of them mash out 5-600 watts for any long period – they may be on 6W/kg but might only weigh 70kg, so 400 or so would do it for some of them

I reckon you’ll be wanting to beat ’em up on the flats, even downs – just to see what they’ve got in terms of pure power with no weight factor. Might not be so frisky on the climbs after a minute or two of you riding at even 4 w/weeksy 😉
    And it’d be great interval training too !

weeksy

It’s a good point… Looking at the actual W produced by the guys around me, i’m bang on the money for actual power, 296w for yesterdays, the guys around me (ahead of me actually) were 281, 288, 300, 320… So i’m in the right ball park power wise. But i’d need to be 400 for a good few mins to scare them i rekon. Even with just a bunch of 5-6 chasing.

I’ll get there… one day. But i was happy with hanging on mostly yesterday, just hanging in and getting the legs and HR working again, i’ve had a few weeks of Z2/3 to get the KMs in for the target i’d set myself, so wasn’t really pushing things along.

Not sure on the plan today on Zwift… There’s nothing really that jumps out at me as far as an event goes. 16:55 with KISS AT base may be the one, but that’s generally at a pace that’s too high for me and right up at my FTP, which i wasn’t planning on doing today.

It’s a shame in some ways that CVR doesn’t allow rest days in that context. It would be nice to jump into a D race for an afternoon, even bailing out on the sprint in the last KM for example. But then not losing points for it all…

ransos
    Free Member

Hi Everyone

Total newbie here, after some advice.

If I buy a Tacx flow, get a zwift subscription and hook up my laptop (with a dongle?) I’m good to go? I’m just looking to improve my fitness rather than a structure plan at the moment, so is it possible to enter races with people who are similarly out of shape? Getting dropped by everyone would be pretty demotivating…
    Cheers.

jam-bo

do group rides count on CVR?

piemonster

is it possible to enter races with people who are similarly out of shape? Getting dropped by everyone would be pretty demotivating…

There’s 4 race categories to choose from A,B,C, and D.

Most cyclists with a modicum of fitness should be able to hang in their with Cat D. Helps to pick a well subscribed event as it increase the chance of finding a similar ability group.

weeksy

so is it possible to enter races with people who are similarly out of shape? Getting dropped by everyone would be pretty demotivating

The simple answer is…. it depends…

If you do the KISS First base race, that’s techincally D only, catagories are ABCD D being the lowest power/performance. However that depends on how ‘out of shape’ you actually are as to what’s likely to happen in the race. The answer you’ll find out really when you do a couple of rides and you can work out your FTP (it’s done automatically after a 20 mins ride) and if you come here and say “My FTP is 200 and my w/kg is 2.5” then you’ll be OK to jump on a D race, you may not win it… but you’ll get to ‘race’ with others for sure.
    If you come on and say “My FTP is 100 and my weight is 100kg, giving me a w/kg of 1.0″… Then i’m afraid you’ll struggle to get other riders to race against.

IMO if you’re a regular rider in the real world, MTB or road, you should be around the 200w to start at a minimum…. You’ll soon find ouy.

Others who have the Flow will be along to answer showtly. But i’m guessing you’ll want an ANT+ dongle from Amazon etc.

weeksy

do group rides count on CVR?

Nope, just races.

I was thinking of a group ride today, but nothing really suits my timings.

piemonster

I buy a Tacx flow, get a zwift subscription and hook up my laptop (with a dongle?) I’m good to go?

Different to my set up as I don’t use a dongle, but assuming your laptop is up to spec that should work. I found I got better responses to what set up I wanted by starting a specific thread. Sometimes these questions get lost to easily on this thread.

jam-bo

you can use an ANT+ dongle with the flow smart, or use the mobile link app as a bluetooth bridge. needs to be on the same wifi network and works pretty reliably. chews up battery though, particulary in map view so either needs to be plugged in or fully charged.

ransos
    Free Member

^thanks both.

dynebaruk
    Free Member

Hi Everyone

Total newbie here, after some advice.

If I buy a Tacx flow, get a zwift subscription and hook up my laptop (with a dongle?) I’m good to go? I’m just looking to improve my fitness rather than a structure plan at the moment, so is it possible to enter races with people who are similarly out of shape? Getting dropped by everyone would be pretty demotivating…
    Cheers.

I’ve got the Tacx Flow and it’s hooked up via dongle. I’d definitely recommend you get a USB extension cable so that the dongle can be positioned right next to the turbo.

Other than that, a heart rate monitor is useful too. I use the Wahoo Tickr.

If you sweat like me, invest in the biggest fan you can afford too.

ransos
    Free Member

I’ve got the Tacx Flow and it’s hooked up via dongle. I’d definitely recommend you get a USB extension cable so that the dongle can be positioned right next to the turbo.

Other than that, a heart rate monitor is useful too. I use the Wahoo Tickr.

If you sweat like me, invest in the biggest fan you can afford too.

Great – I’ll get an extension. I have a HR strap and speed/ cadence sensor I use with my Garmin, so I assume they will work? I have a desk fan too.

dynebaruk
    Free Member

I’d guess so, yes.

This is the bargain extension cable I bought, if you’re interested. I tried it the first time without and it was constantly dropping out.

Amazon

scaled
    Free Member

6 days riding on the bounce for me, Only 120km or so but just not enough rest/sleep.

I think i’m going to do the 2for1 @ 19:55 if anyone else fancies a gentle 2w/kg spin before my absolutelydefinitelyarestday tomorrow (it was supposed to be today but I ended up riding into the office)

weeksy

Funnily i was thinking about the 8pm TT race… 19:55 ain’t showing here ?

scaled
    Free Member

weeksy

Confused… not showing on my list… If it’s on… i’ll be up for that instead of the TT race as i wanted a more gentle/longer one ideally tonight.

Oh… that was 18:55 i was looking at… LOL

I’m in then 🙂

scaredypants

I have a desk fan too

I’ll give you a week before there’s a massive floor fan in there ! 🙂

dannybgoode

I’ve finally got Zwift all set up on my iPad – only had a very quick play but very impressed. Looks to be just what I need to get motivated.

Hooked up to my Kinetic Road Machine with the smart dongle thing and all looks good (lovely trainer btw for anyone looking for a turbo – good price and supremely well built).

Will no doubt be hooking in to some group races once I’ve got my fitness from zero to a bit 🙂

weeksy

I’ll give you a week before there’s a massive floor fan in there !

I rarely do the fan, you end up with hypothermia and can never get warm again.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Can anyone enlighten me on what is going on in ZwiftPower? I entered a WBR 4-lap race a couple of days ago and the initial result right after the race showed me finishing in bronze position in Group C (where I entered). Now I have been removed from the filtered result altogether but am placed in silver position in the unfiltered result.

I know they don’t allow zPower users to win a category but why are they removing all zPower users from the filtered result altogether regardless of finishing position? I use a HR monitor and am linked to my Strava account as well. I would ask ZwiftPower direct for an explanation but don’t have a Facebook account.

muggomagic

Best off joining Club WBR on Facebook and asking there as it’ll most likely be down to the race organisers not ZP that long after the race has finished.
    They are a friendly crowd on there and lots of the posts on their group are people asking why they have been DQ’d and they either sort it or give thorough explanations as to why.
    Edit: missed the bit about not having FB, sorry.

weeksy

Tis a question i was wondering yesterday too matey.

I had a guy yesterday i battled and lost in a race to the line Michael Schiffarth (C) He’s showing as not there in results, but is in ‘unfiltered’ but for the life of me i don’t know why. He was on a smart trainer… He didn’t exceed Cat limits…. etc.

zilog6128

When it’s cold I have the heater on as well as the fan (when warmed up!) Just feels wrong not having the airflow, plus I think it makes me overheat no matter how cold it is!

jolmes
    Free Member

Planning to dip my toe into the zwift market, mainly to recover from illness over the last two months.

Can currently get the Tacx Flow from Halfords for like £150 with BC discount and vouchers from work. I have the Garmin 520 on my Domane and my iPad for the app, will i need anything else?

weeksy

bigger lungs 🙂

jolmes
    Free Member

bigger lungs

One thing I’m trying to fix after a chest infection and only having 1/4 lung capacity from what i should have 🙁

scaredypants

When it’s cold I have the heater on as well as the fan (when warmed up!) Just feels wrong not having the airflow, plus I think it makes me overheat no matter how cold it is!

Me an’ all – I need a bit of airflow, though when it’s ded cold I’ve worn a top with a windproof front on it (and / or one of those string vest things to keep the cold outer layer off me). (and I put the fans off for the cooldown bimble)

cheers_drive

I’m just looking to improve my fitness rather than a structure plan at the moment, so is it possible to enter races with people who are similarly out of shape? Getting dropped by everyone would be pretty demotivating…
    Cheers.

Last winter I did quite a few races, mainly Kiss D, I never finished last and after about 10 I won one. I haven’t done a Kiss race this winter but I did find the last year that it was hard to form groups. EVR CAT C was much better for groups and I had a couple of really enjoyable ones where as KISS could be lonely after the first few miles. This winter I’ve mainly been doing the group workouts, not with any structure but I find them just as motivating as the races. Some people just ride around without joining an event or workout, unless I challenge myself to go up the Watopia mountain or Box hill just riding about is boring.
    Best thing is just to jump on and try a few events and workouts and see what suits you.

crosshair
    Free Member

Weeksy- if he hasn’t clicked the new terms and conditions yet then he will get filtered out of the results.

I’ve given up chasing w/kg and regularly looking at my weight. Watts trump w/kg for the riding I want to do.

If I do hit my old goal of 4w/kg, I’d rather it was 360/90 than 320/80- it will get me a lot more points 😉

Shandy
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice the other day folks I will look to add some gradient in settings.

Viewing 40 posts - 7,561 through 7,600 (of 15,383 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.