• This topic has 15,382 replies, 380 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Caher.
Viewing 40 posts - 6,401 through 6,440 (of 15,383 total)
  • Zwift, my journey, my weight and my fitness.
  • nathb
    Free Member

It was tough!
    I was covering Mathew the entire race, as his is the only jersey I could see properly lol. My only mistake last night was that I waited too long to launch the sprint….

BTW Stephan Bouman, is a professional cyclist: https://www.zwiftpower.com/race.php?id=14518
    http://www.procyclingstats.com/rider/Stephan_Bouman
    Poor guy was taking a lot of stick last night 😆

scaredypants

Is Dave Brodmann (TFC) some sort of zwift legend ? He must’ve got over 20 thumbs during the race this morning. Worked though – he battered me in the finishing “sprint” (by having one 😕 )

scaredypants

@ zilog – 😀

I’m like Pavlov’s dog; every time I get a “ride on”, …
    (no wonder I can’t muster a sprint)

weeksy

Brod was doing a 200km ride a few Sundays back on a TT bike.. he was 170km in when i left him after having a chat.

Averaging 2.8w/kg at the time he was…. Obviously a handy rider.

weeksy

I’m properly wiped out after that race this morning. Its hard work walking down to school to get my lad!

scaredypants

when you lot talk about points, you mean that cycligent site, right ?

I find it really clunky and non-intuitive – I know it’s free and all and I’m not complaining, more wondering if I’m using it wrong

weeksy

Yes mate. That one.

It bothered me once, but now I just dont care.

IMO its ridiculous as its only fair in single Cat races, if I race in an abcd race, the AB riders are taken into account? But that’s daft, I’m not racing them. If I could, I’d be in A of course. So why is my result affected by them.

Today I finished just behind an A guy. He got -4 I got -9. That’s just not right. He was last A, I was 2/3 back in C.

blader1611
    Free Member

Scaredypants – yes its the cycligent website and yes its awful to use (ipad is anyway), it fails on me more times than it succeeds. I generally only try and access it once a fortnight mainly coz its a pain to use but also i still have no idea what it is.

zilog6128

Yeah, barely ever loads on Safari (Mac & iOS) so I looked at it a couple of times and haven’t bothered since!

It’s a crap idea anyway as it’s not conducive to the way I want to use Zwift, i.e. brag about races where I’ve done well and quietly brush all the others under the carpet 😆

scaredypants

yeah, I agree

…(ish) – I think it works out where in the overall field you should finish and then gives points from there. Presumably the A rider is “Finn Achilles” – he seems pretty fast generally so surprising that he didn’t get a massive deduction. Then again, he does have an AWESOME name 😀

I don’t look at it except when it gets a mention on here. At least I’m above 1000 now; had a bit of a bad run (2 DNFs and a sprint for the wrong line in a “1 lap” race) which punished me, quite rightly

weeksy

Still seems I deserved more than -9 for that!

scaredypants

just looked our man up on that site – he has 500-odd points !!
    (single race in October lost him 220 😯 )

Zilog – agreed, maybe it could disregard the bottom 10% of your races or something to remove any *cough* technical glitches from your score

crosshair
    Free Member

Weeksy, 2/3 of the points are based on absolute finishing position but 1/3 of the allocated points are related to a pre race forecast. So he was obviously closer to his predicted score than you.

I’ve read it twice and my head is still hurting 😆

http://zwiftrankings.com/vcr/client/help/help-overview

crosshair
    Free Member

Calculation of Points

Strength of Field (SOF)

For each Race a Strength of Field (SOF) is calculated. The SOF is the sum of the Points associated with all Racers divided by the number or Racers (the arithmetic mean). The SOF is used to compute the total number of Points available for the Race.

Points Available

The Points available for a given Race are calculated by multiplying the SOF by 0.1 and then multiplying that by the number of Racers in the Race divided by 16. In this way the larger the Event the more Points that are available.

Points Based On Absolute Finishing Position (2/3 of available Points)

The top half of Racers receive positive Points, based on absolute finishing position, equal to 2/3 of the Points available. The bottom half of Racers receive negative Points, based on absolute finishing position, equal to 2/3 of the Points available.

Each half is broken into 4 quadrants. The Points available to the half are then distributed across the 4 quadrants as follows: 50% for the topmost or bottommost finishers, 25% for the next topmost or bottommost finishers, then 8% and lastly 2%. This has the effect of minimizing the changes for the 25% of riders finishing in the middle of a race and maximizing the Points changes for the 25% finishing at the top or bottom of the Race. Within each quadrant Points are skewed so that they become more positive or negative as you move away from the middle finishing position.

Points Based On Projected Finishing Position (1/3 of available Points)

Racers are ranked at the start of a Race by their Points. Based on this forecasted finishing position a Points Delta is computed. At the end of a Race the Racer’s Points at the start of the Race are subtracted from the Points associated with their actual finishing position in the Race based on the Points rank computed at the start of the Race.

If a Racer finishes in the exact position projected by rank then their Points Delta would be zero as the Points at that rank position would be their Points. If a Racer finishes above their projected finishing position then they will have a positive Points Delta. Conversely, if a racer finishes below their projected finishing position they will have a negative Points Delta.

The positive Points Deltas are summed and used as the factor to assign Points based on projected finishing position as given by (Points Delta divided by positive Points Delta Sum times 1/3 of Points available).

Negative Points Deltas based on projected finishing position are divided by 2 to mute the effect of poor finishes by high Points Racers (it is easier to finish way down in the list then it is to finish high in the list). This also mutes the effects of mechanicals which would otherwise have a dramatic effect on the Racer’s Points.

Points Delta’s were used, as opposed to simply a delta of projected finishing position because finishing above a high Points Racer should provide a requisite bump in Points for the Racer based on the relative strengths of the Racers as opposed to a linear progression based on finishing position.

Points Bonus for Top Three Finishers

In addition to the above Points Bonuses are awarded to the top three positions as follows:

receives a bonus equal to 9% of the Points available
    receives a bonus equal to 4% of the Points available
    receives a bonus equal to 2% of the Points available

eemy
    Free Member

It’s hard not to become a little bit obsessed by the ranking score which has meant that I have tended to focus on flat races – because generally I can stay with the front group and get a decent score.

But that is just silly, so I’ve started doing more hilly races – I’ll be tumbling down the rankings in no time.

weeksy

The guys who won c and 2nd got 10 and 7 points. That’s my issue with it. They won their Cat and got basically not a lot.
    Sure, I get winning A races is harder than C races, but where’s the incentive if winning your race gets you 10 points.

I get bigger fields gives more points, but not everyone can plan their life to only enter massive races.

crosshair
    Free Member

But don’t forget that the w/kg based categories are entirely arbitrary and this aims to promote a fairer way of categorising everybody (the Divisions).

It’s just a shame nobody has actually crested a division based race series yet.

The strength of field score means it’s not just about the smaller drafts of riders in the less popular races, but also their relative ability.
    So the points dished out were crap because the overall standard was crap 😆 😛 😉

weeksy

It’s just a shame nobody has actually crested a division based race series yet

Absolutely.

I enjoyed the fully split starts more, 3 mins later etc. Far too often you end up with a bunch of Bs and C’s closing you down from behind, whereas if they were just CS you may hang on, with all the B riders, you’re not.

I expect the Delivery feel the same with us C’s pulling the odd D along who made a great start.

Of course, no system is perfect for all scenarios, but it could work better imo.

scaredypants

Over 400 riders in the 6.00 race 😯

piemonster

Blimey, that’s a huge field.

That light snack I had an hour ago, it’s not settled very well , how close do I need the bucket?

piemonster

Uh oh fans off

weeksy

Not over your head!

scaredypants

at least, not over your head after you’ve used it

piemonster

Could of done without the 10km ITT

Not sick

Yet

piemonster

I’m going to describe that as educational!

Race was over almost as it started after I got off to switch the fan on. Managed to pace an ITT and had a good sprint with two others I caught under 2km put.

Watts per kg is up I think to 2.9, bonus.

crosshair
    Free Member

Fair play for carrying on! Switch your fan on first and wear on old top until warm 😉

nathb
    Free Member

I’m not explaining CVR again 😆

It’s a fair system, negative points = you’re below expected result based of the field.

Bear in mind you’ve got a lot of riders showing up who have only just started – so people are likely to be shuffled around a lot.

weeksy

It’s a fair system

Maybe when you’re at the pointy end of A it is.

Try being built like a wrestler in C and tell me its fair.

piemonster

I honestly don’t know what CVR is, it’s a 4×4 isn’t it?

I’m actually mid pack in C in the results whatever that means to CVR.

crosshair
    Free Member

It’s fair because it ranks you before you start based on your points thus far and then compares that prediction to where you finished.

It’s a bit like writing to British Cycling and saying you should have got points just for turning up at Abingdon 😆

eugeo81
    Free Member

I am now fully set up and ready to go on zwift with my tacx 2240 after my trainer tyre turned up in Tallinn today (5 days to deliver here from wiggle!). Bought a fan yesterday, got some looks as there is already snow and ice about here 😆 Quick question, what sort of tyre pressures are optimum for turbos? And will a sick bucket be necessary?

weeksy

Nope, it’s just that I want a Cat1,2,3,4 and individual points for the Cats. That’s why they do it how they do, otherwise none of the Cat4s would bother turning up as the Cat1 riders would be the only ones to get points.

I get your point. But that doesn’t mean I agree.

weeksy

100-110psi.

Sick bucket unlikely, you’ll sweat though!

nathb
    Free Member

piemonster its a Honda CRV 😆

Weeksy my place has nothing to do with it, it’s a system based off % of people allowed in a division. Therefore if you have new people signing up who are better than us, then we get bumped down a place. You can’t get any fairer than that in my books??

You’re being ranked on division, so the only time the other divisions bother you is if you beat a higher division (you’ll have some of his points) or a lower division beats you (they’ll have some of your points).

crosshair
    Free Member

But whether you score -9 or 7 or 250 is irrelevant- the number is irrelevant.
    What’s relevant is how it, as a system, ends up ranking you in the Divisions. And I bet if you CVR stalked a few people you’d had close battles with, you’d be pretty closely ranked.

weeksy

You’re being ranked on division, so the only time the other divisions bother you is if you beat a higher division (you’ll have some of his points) or a lower division beats you (they’ll have some of your points).

In a race today with 28 Cs, only 3 riders got + points. There were a couple of 0 and the rest were negatives. That also included 6 who DNF and therefore got a load of negative. So if what you’re saying is true, then the people who finished and finished high should have got + points.

I’ve won C races before and got 0 points. Yes, of course you can say that’s because of the strength of field etc, but clearly you’re not ranked and given points purely on your category.

weeksy

But whether you score -9 or 7 or 250 is irrelevant- the number is irrelevant.
    What’s relevant is how it, as a system, ends up ranking you in the Divisions. And I bet if you CVR stalked a few people you’d had close battles with, you’d be pretty closely ranked.

I’m guessing not in my case as I’ve had 4 dnf, which is 120-130 down as they’re -30 or more. However in other cases that may be true.

I get frustrated as I race hard, pick up a top 5 in C and get 6 points. Race just as hard today, battle well and get -9. I wasn’t any worse today than the other day, arguably in the last 5 minutes I did better as instead of giving up, I pulled 2 guys in and beat them.

This is why I don’t care about CVR.

crosshair
    Free Member

But it’s a ranking system. The points are merely a tool to create accurate rankings- not a reward for finishing in a particular spot. You raced a small field against a load of poorly ranked riders so the points were never there for the taking.
    Their A,B,C or D category is irrelevant and simply reflects their ftp not their ranking.

scaredypants

It is “sort of” right/fair – if all the Cs score zero or negative points, then they’ll still all appear in similar parts of the league table. There won’t be many points between a fast C and a slow one but if you only gain or lose a handful of points each time then that small gap takes some closing

At the top end I assume they ALL score highly, so it’s like being a merchant banker – you get paid a shitload but you’re still only as rich as the guy at the next desk … ’til you lose a shitload in one or two goes like our man Finn (might be intersting to see how fast he or someone like him can get back up the lists, assuming he’s got no health issues or whatever holding him back)

Whether it matters that the gap is massive between the “A” haves and the “C” have nots is down to what the numbers mean to you – I suspect that it is possible to climb out and get up the rankings if you genuinely improve loads; the trouble for you (and me) weeksy is that if you’re already racing close to your potential then all you can do is avoid DNFs and scrabble about for handfuls of points

[crosshair](or train in a better way)[/crosshair] 😀

crosshair
    Free Member

It’s top 50% who score positive so in a race with a small A field or a KISS Second Base race etc etc then there are more chances for a C to score. How much they score depends on how many show up and how good they are.

Viewing 40 posts - 6,401 through 6,440 (of 15,383 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.