• This topic has 4,998 replies, 121 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by DrP.
Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 4,999 total)
  • Zwift meetups and social rides ?
  • zilog6128

Well I ballsed something up, starting zwifting about 5:25 but never saw a button to join the group! Quit out and then saw Weeksy’s name so chose the “ride with” option, but that didn’t make me part of the group so couldn’t see the bantz!! Will try again next time.

w00dster

I was in the Group but didn’t see any green text boxes. Might have to use my MacBook in future rather than iPad.

DrP

Me. Alex.. And another had the front pace.. Funny trying to guess users from real names

DrP

mossimus
    Free Member

I had to click join on laptop, didn’t get an option to join using companion app(android)

teamslug
    Free Member

@scaredypants. I did drop back as I was near the back of pack and noticed magnetodog had just started, he was only 0.2 miles in when we were about 8 miles in. I thought I’d tow him back up but without chat on I couldn’t tell anyone he was there. I dropped back about 7 or 8 seconds but then I realised any further and I wasn’t going to get back. I totally finished myself on the last climb. My heart rate was just about maxed at 170 ( I’m old and have always had a slow rate) It’s the first time I’ve ever tried a group ride and it’s bloody easy to get dropped if you aren’t paying attention then the extra effort needed to get back takes it toll. I’m doing on an mtb too so need a bigger front ring. I rode most of it in 32 x 11. Thanks Weeksy for getting that sorted. Looking forward to more.

That was fun. I just made the start, by seconds. I was in the middle of a conference call from basically the start until a little over halfway, and I guess it was distracting enough that I was losing the beacon and having to catch back up. That yo-yoing drained me a bit so I dropped off the pace at the end. Thanks for organizing it Weeksy. Unfortunately I won’t be in the Saturday one. That’ll be 5.30 am for me in sunny Colorado!

scaredypants

Does anyone know if the virtual mtbs are slower on the road? – Seemed to hit a big wall of wind resistance if I ever dropped out of the draft

mikesbikes71
    Free Member

I think I was with dr p and Alex for a bit. Coyne is my real life persona
    My zumo wasn’t doing the resistance changes. I was in the big ring all the way round. I’m only a mid D so had to ease off after a bit.

weeksy

Does anyone know if the virtual mtbs are slower on the road? – Seemed to hit a big wall of wind resistance if I ever dropped out of the draft

Massive difference.

Poopscoop

As we can change names easily, I suppose we could change them to resemble our forum names just for the STW rides?

I’m F.innbod usually on zwift, but could change it to Poopscoop (or very similar) for the ride,then back again for other stuff.

Has everyone signed up for Zwiftpower and linked it to Zwift too, for when they do their own races etc?

weeksy

If people can’t work out who I am there’s no hope for the world.

You could probably have a wild and crazy guess at who I am too!

Poopscoop

I like keeping the world guessing to a degree but might mix it up and call myself Butt Nugget.

It’s hints at who I am but retains a little mystery. Always important.

razorrazoo

Missed this afternoon’s ride. What sort of pace was it at, post ride comments leave me slightly scared for the next one!

Poopscoop

It’s genuinely hard to stop social/group rides getting a little pacey.Lol That’s part of Zwift’s appeal, you can’t but help get a little competative, if only to beat your own PR or whatever.

What Cat you in raz? I’m a decidedly average D. As long as you have just one other rider you can tag along with if it fragments it’s all good. You will get some draft and you can take turns to help search other out. It’s fun actually.

Mind you, back in my early days on zwift, most of my “races” were just solo TT efforts basically… coming in dead last a few times. Who cares, there’s no real crowd at the finish line or anything.😁

stumpy01

I’ve had the invite for Sat. Will try to make it – just need to pre-warn my Wife.

I got two invites when I looked earlier, which seems a bit weird.

djflexure

Thanks for organising Steve
    Was hectic
    Lost you at the end – my Kickr stuck on 261w and would not go higher or lower
    Hope it’s not borked
    Mtb is harder on the road as others have said but also correspondingly quicker on gravel
    Followed a few of you on Strava

peesbee

Thanks for sorting Steve, was good fun.
    I’m on for Saturday – looks like there is 2 events/2 invites at moment?

weeksy

Not for me ? Just 1 here.

edit :
    WTF, there was… now there isn’t 🙂

peesbee

Now I have no invites 🙂🙂🙂
    Was it something I said?

weeksy

Well i deleted the other ride as that one only had me and 1 person, the other ride has 8 on it…

Dunno who you are though 🙂

razorrazoo

What Cat you in raz? I’m a decidedly average D. As long as you have just one other rider you can tag along with if it fragments it’s all good. You will get some draft and you can take turns to help search other out. It’s fun actually.

I’m new to Zwift so just getting my head around all the metrics tbh. I’ve never looked at things in watts and Cats before, I’ve always just gone out and ridden my bike. My FTP is currently set at 180 (I didn’t set it, not sure if it is default or provided after some data Zwift gets hold of) but I couldn’t imaging holding that for an hour. I tend to ride 2-3 times a week normally depending on work/home requirements and never done any club cycling before.

Also how do you draft etc in Zwift?

jam-bo

Also how do you draft etc in Zwift?

make sure you arent on a TT bike.

ride up behind someone, back off a bit so you don’t shoot straight past them. should be able to use ~20% less power than the person you are drafting.

peesbee

Hi Steve – peesbee = paul bayles STW, just changed Zwift name to PEE SBEE STW

Alex

Hi Weeksy – I added myself to one of the two rides but that’s gone now and I can’t see any meet-ups. Could you resend.. Ta!

weeksy

Well something clearly went wrong as you were invited and i had issues uninviting and re-inviting people.

So i scrapped the event and re-created it.

undarra
    Free Member

Hi Weeksy
    Could you add me to the invite list please. just added STW to my wift name (Simon Collins). Couldn’t make yesterday but should be able to make Saturday.

Cheers

nixie

Sounds like it was a good ride. I couldn’t make the time slot unfortunately. Is there any appetite for early evening ones? Say 7.30/8ish?

weeksy

Sounds like it was a good ride. I couldn’t make the time slot unfortunately. Is there any appetite for early evening ones? Say 7.30/8ish?

Crack on and create one mate, it’s not that tough honestly. Just add anyone with STW in their name to your friends in the Companion app and they can then be invited.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Re: the pace. I think Weeksy managed it well. Nice and easy for the most part with a bit of a tickle for the last 10 minutes. A few people dropped out then but it’s no stress. Will be easier when we are all bumblebee clad.

oopnorth
    Free Member

I couldn’t believe how busy it was on there last night! I usually ride early morning and used to those lower numbers of riders.

Last night it was like I was continually drafting someone 🙂

weeksy

Yeah it was indeed chaos in that context at times. I’m hoping picking the Road to Ruins will mean we get a few less on the route, but as i say, we can only do routes that are on the calendar that day, which means of course Watopia every day and whatever the daily guest route is.

Pace management is tough as we’ll always lose people and always have flyers, but nothing i can do, well i can, i could set to ‘stay together’ which used to be used a lot on group rides, so even if someone is pushing out 500w they’re only going the same speed as people at 100w… but i don’t think that then encourages people to push on etc, giving that little bit more, if they can cruise and stay together, where’s the incentive?

oopnorth
    Free Member

I think it’s fine, let people push on if they want, or they could regroup the back markers if so inclined.
    I wouldn’t want to hold anyone up getting a good workout at their pace, just let them do 2 laps hahaha.
    Once we hit the first hill up to the bridge on road to ruins, I’ll be back marking anyway 🙂

So is it MTB’s all the way, or just once we hit the jungle?

weeksy

I’m going to say MTB all the way… 🙂

This is SINGLETRACK forum… the forum for MTBers, even if most of you/them are roadies now… so sod it, MTB 🙂

oopnorth
    Free Member

haha fine by me…it might slow some of our faster riders down on the road sections!

akira

Will try and manage one in the future.

eskay

Can you invite me for Saturday please Steve. Thanks Simon K

swavis

I think I’ve followed you Weeksy using the companion app, currently stuck at work but keen to join on Saturday if I can.

Gavin Belton btw, although I’m still swavis on Zwiftpower I think 😉

weeksy

DOn’t think you did Swavis.

swavis

I’ll wait until I get home and use the laptop with Zwift on it

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 4,999 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.