Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Zwift Hub (turbo trainer) quick review.
  • weeksy

As some may have seen, i ordered a Zwift Hub on Monday.

Arrived today and it’s lighter than i expected and smaller than i thought.

Unboxing and putting together was pretty damn easy. Colour coded things and big easy bolts and nuts.

Within a few mins the turbo was boxed.

Quick firmware update to allow for auto-calibration and into an event. Comparisions are to my 4 year old Wahoo Kickr Snap.

It spins up nicely, although with a new cassette and an old chain, it’s not exactly silky smooth at the moment. I think it’ll take a little bedding in.
    Watching the power in the event it was interesting to see how it responds to accellerations, way nicer than most of my recent history on the Snap, surges up to 400w are a LOT easier and more sustainable. Making me think that the 2 random races last week may not have actually been as far out as i suspected at the time.
    The race went on and my legs were already a little fried from 2 days back to back racing and it was only after 15 mins and some pushes on the front (Cat and Mouse event) that i noticed it was a 48.5km race… whoops. One the aquaduct climb it responded again like that Snap a few days ago and i could get up at 400w.
    As the race went on i was sitting at 250w with ‘easy’ bits being where I soft pedalled into 190w/200w.. My HR sitting at 145-155bpm.
    The race went wrong as we got caught 1.7km from the line by the Bs and it all split apart but by then we were 66mins in and i was pretty fried.

Race finished with 235w average for 69 mins… With a HR average of 149 and a max of 171

The only downsides to this are 2 things.

1. My gearing isn’t up for racing.. I’ve got i think either a 40 or 42T front chainring and didn’t get out of gear 10. If i want a lower cadence, i’ll need a bigger front ring.. But i’d actually like a different crankset with a single 44-46 or something anyway
    2. I don’t think i’ll last long in C if i’m racing… Although that’s a toughie as you can only go as fast as the rest of the group, but i think i’ll be a stronger C than i was thought to be.

mashr

Although that’s a toughie as you can only go as fast as the rest of the group,

Did you not say before that you drop 10kg from your weight on Zwift? Could add it back in so the group pace fits a bit better with what you can do

weeksy

Did you not say before that you drop 10kg from your weight on Zwift? Could add it back in so the group pace fits a bit better with what you can do

Without weighing myself, my weight is a bit out… but not night and day… I’ve run a bit light at times, but it’s not half a human even on my heaviest days 😀

jamesoz

I’ve mentioned it before but I went from a Tacx flow to the Zwift hub and it’s like night and day. So much easier to put power down.
    I actually thought initially it was broken, will be interested to see what a race or FTP test shows up

Typically my knee has been playing up since I set it up, so I’ve not used it in anger.

mashr

Flywheel weight is 4.7kg rather than 5.4kg on the Kickr Core or 7.3kg on the Kickr. I wonder if that’s why it might feel easier to crank up? I remember noticing a difference the other way when I went to a heavier flywheel

scaredypants

You’ve got to love a bit o’weeksy – about 3hrs after arrival and you’ve done a race on the ****. You’re like a puppy ! 😂

weeksy

Lol I had it set up within 15 mins of arriving as I had 3 meetings i needed to be ready for, so that was my only window until after 4.

oopnorth
    Free Member

I just changed from a Elite to a Zwift Hub recently and it’s definitely a change, the pick up is much quicker especially on workout segments, its almost instant, the Elite tended to lag. I like it, definitely a positive change over the previous wheel-on trainer.

jamesoz

Been easing back into Zwift.
    The Hub definitely gives higher power readings than the Tacx Flow. Hit 802w with a slightly dodgy knee compared to 600 or so max I could get out of the Tacx.
    Getting above 500w on the Tacx it felt like I was trying to destroy the thing.

Looking forward to being able to give it full effort.

I did notice the round bit with the Z logo was very hot after around 10 miles.
    Not sure how normal that is?
    I did the 10 min warmup calibration thing before my ride.
    100% difficulty setting iirc

weeksy

Been outside recently so not had much of a chance with the Hub.

Today I jumped on a Glasgow Crit at short notice. No idea on the circuit but it’s lumpy.
    Yes I’m now racing at my proper weight. Lol
    On lap 1 we hit a few kickers, there were only a small bunch of us in the race and I spun it up with power and suddenly had a 4s gap, which I then stretched to 6, 8, 9. So thought I’d see if I could hang on
    Trying to play smart and resting on the downhills.
    3 laps later starting the final lap I had a high HR at 181 but a 25s lead and cruised it home for an easy gold.
    The turbo doesn’t make more power than the old one, but it creates the power nicer and more responsively. I can kick it in and it hits the numbers easier.
    I’m still no B. But I could race B on the right circuits I think.
    Not this one 😃😃😃

weeksy

I’m still loving this thing… it’s not ‘better’ as such in some ways, i can still only make 270-280w in a race, but it’s how i can do it, i can hit a smallish hill at speed and it keeps me battling in the bunch i want instead of getting dropped on the kickers. I’m not convinced i could hang in a hilly race, but ones with 30s-1min inclines are now fine and i can actually get up and attack out of the saddle and it makes a difference, whereas previously i’m sure i dropped power.

Excellent race in C at Glasgow today, taking on Bath Salts who’s a beast of a C…. i was 2nd to him, but it wasn’t a disaster.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.