Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Zwift hardware requirements
  • joebristol

I couldn’t find an exact answer on this on here or really on the Zwift website which isn’t wildly user friendly.

I currently use TrainerRoad on my iPhone 13 mini with a wahoo kickr core. I like it – but this winter instead of every week slogging around with my lights on in the mud and slop midweek I’m tempted to try a Zwift race.

Without investing a huge amount in case I don’t like it could I get away with an iPad? I think my wife’s is an iPad Air 2 128gn memory from a few years back and my daughters is a 2021 A13 one with 64gb memory.

I’ve seen mention of controlling via a companion app – I’m not sure if I need this if I have it on a tablet right in front of the bike? If you do need it I assume my iPhone 13 mini will do the job?

Any help / tips here are much appreciated!

Edit – ideally I can connect my Bluetooth headphones to my phone still for Spotify to listen to music?

simon_g

Will run on any of those. I play music on my iPad so I get workout noises as well as music through my headphones.

Companion app just gives a (optional) second handy screen for dashboard, chat and controls. iPhone is fine.

joebristol

Are there many sounds with Zwift?

Is it as simple as just downloading the app, connecting Bluetooth up and then inputting an approximate ftp and it then categorises you into races you can do – or do you need to do some kind of ramp / ftp test?

stumpy01

I think any of the devices you mention will run Zwift OK.
    Probably in basic graphics mode & with a relatively low frame rate. But, I wouldn’t get too hung up on the numbers – yes, Ultra detail does look better than basic, but it’s not such a big deal.

I used a Samsung S6 Lite tablet for ages & that was fine, as was my ancient (~12yr old) Acer laptop before that.

Companion app is useful to have & works fine on your iphone. You just need (preferably) some kind of mount on your bars for it. I bought a cheap silicone mount from Amazon for about a tenner & that works fine. You can get away without one, but I was concerned about dropping the phone with sweaty hands.
    You can the companion app to control certain in game features, send messages, see a better ‘map’ view than in-game etc. and outside the game you can use it to look for & sign-up to events while not actually on Zwift.

joebristol
    Are there many sounds with Zwift?

There’s some music features at start-up and stuff. Then there is in-game sounds like road noise, birds tweeting etc and beeps and other notification noises for workouts. You can adjust the relative volume of these in the game settings.

I have always used an Anker bluetooth speaker with Zwift, which works well. If you use it in the house (I use mine in a garage) you might be better off with headphones if you don’t want to disturb people.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

No need for a pre-race FTP test.

For the new Category Enforcement system, if ZwiftHQ hasn’t processed any ride data for you beforehand, your first race will be in A and you will be assigned your minimum pen for the next 60 days from that race. If you do any 2min+ ride before your first race and it gets processed by ZwiftHQ before you sign up for your first race, it will give you a provisional pen from that data.
    Whenever you exceed the Critical Power limits of a pen (I think it’s 2.5; 3.2; 4 W/Kg + 5% for C/B/A respectively these days), your minimum pen for future race signups will adjust after ZwiftHQ processing after ~1430 BST. You shouldn’t be DQed from the race where exceeding took place.

For the old Zwiftpower system, your minimum pen that prevents auto-DQ is set by your three best 95% power over 20mins in races and TTs only. If you exceed a pen 95% 20min limit in an event, you will usually be DQed.

joebristol

Thanks all – I think my w/kg has dipped quite a lot recently – hovering around the 3 mark as I’ve put on weight and lost watts from a back injury.

Sounds like I can give it a go with all the kit I’ve got to hand and see if it’s useful / if I like it

ta11pau1

Do you know your rough FTP? It’ll help but not really needed for racing as it’s based on w/kg regardless of your FTP. It’ll probably get updated as soon as you do a hard 20 min race anyway!

Enjoy, it’s fun! Sort of 🤣

The Get Rolling races have a good turn out usually, 50-100 in cat B at prime time.

joebristol

I did have an ftp about 250 about 2 months ago and weight down to 75kgs. But I had a big lay off and need to retest my ftp and lose 1.5kgs. On trainer road I’ve stuck in 225 as my ftp for picking random workouts up but I think it’s a bit low as I got through a 45 min vo2 session last night quite easily. Sweet spot stuff is what I usually find hard as well as under overs.

My plan is to use a low volume trainer road plan over the winter and supplement that with 1 weekend mtb and then either 1 mtb night ride or Zwift race a week. Not feeling the need to get covered in slop on a night ride every week this winter!

ta11pau1

My plan is to use a low volume trainer road plan over the winter and supplement that with 1 weekend mtb and then either 1 mtb night ride or Zwift race a week. Not feeling the need to get covered in slop on a night ride every week this winter!

I’m 6 weeks into my TrainerRoad plan, sweet spot low volume base phase 1 done, phase 2 starting this week. 3 workouts a week on that allows time for zwift races/outdoor rides/strength sessions. Use the plan builder and it’ll set up your base, build and speciality phases.

TR will get you to do a ramp test at the start of a plan so you’ll have an accurate FTP too. Then regular testing every 6 weeks or so.

joebristol

Yeah I like trainer road – done 3 plans so far and my fitness now can when I first started march 21 is a lot better I think. Just trying not to agitate the back spasm that happened a few months ago. Been picking 30-45 min achievable / productive sessions so far to ease back in. Probably going to ramp test next week as the start of a new training plan block

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.