Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Zwift fan
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

18″ screwfix style fan on from the very start, I did have one of those Honeywell turbo fan things but it’s turd in comparison.

I don’t get this 10″ desk fan stuff, do some of you either run really cold or not really put much effort in?

PrinceJohn

To those who are talking about remote controls – why would you want to run the fan on anything but max?

mashr

I don’t get this 10″ desk fan stuff, do some of you either run really cold or not really put much effort in?

When you weight dope it makes the races much easier 😉

mashr

PrinceJohn
    To those who are talking about remote controls – why would you want to run the fan on anything but max?

Very rarely have my fan above the first setting, 2 if I’m really cooking, 3 is strong enough to push me off the back of the bike*

*maybe

stumpy01

PrinceJohn

I did a 2 hour endurance workout on the turbo last night. Max speed would have been way too high – it would been bloody freezing.
    As mentioned above in my original response, my fan only works on max (I need a new one) so I just rode without it on. I probably could have done with it on speed 1 initially.

When it’s colder than about 5deg outside, the max speed on my fan is a bit too cold unless I am doing a really hard workout with short rest periods, or racing.

sboardman

That is a nice bit of work @tallpaul. Those pics were useful too @haloric. I’d like to have a go at making my own I think.

I’m in a shed and use a pretty small Honeywell turbo fan which works for riding in the winter months, though at the moment I can manage without for the first half of a session since it’s pretty nippy and the shed is uninsulated.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Taotronics pedestal fan more than enough for winter, in warmer turbo sessions I’ll use another pedestal fan or the Honeywell HT900E as an extra.

ta11pau1

That is a nice bit of work @tallpaul. Those pics were useful too @haloric. I’d like to have a go at making my own I think.

Cheers, there’s a really good Facebook group which has tons of info about DIY builds.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/415329188897706/?ref=share

whatgoesup

I wouldn’t stop at “just” one fan. Don’t mess around with little weedy desk fans, you need some fairly serious air moving power if you’re going to be working hard. It also depends how much you are willing to spend.

I’ve got a cheapish screwfix one on a smart plug that works great, and a wahoo headwind that is similar but betterer in terms of features – more focussed airflow to hit just your body, and ability to control it via phone app or via heart rate. I’m keeping both for extreme summer days when you just want as much airflow as you can get.
    I wouldn’t recommend one or the other, it just depends on your budget.

snownrock

If anyone is in Leeds I have one of those 18″ Screwfix floor fans going spare. You can have it for a £10 donation to charity.

Haze

3 speed floor fan, I always have it on highest setting…even when it’s super cold in the garage, hat and gloves on until I’m warmed up a bit and can face the arctic blast 😁

defblade
    Free Member

Same as DrP for me – big floor fan, hung off the wall in front of me. Plugged into an extension cord with switches which I can reach while riding.
    Set to speed 1 in the winter; if it’s cold enough i’ll just use it in bursts. Up to 2 or 3 in the summer, but I’m not so likely to be on Zwift in the first place.

stanley

I went all posh and got the Wahoo Headwind. It’s great. I have it set up to respond to heart rate, so it’s one less remote to faff with.
    Also have a cheapo floor-standing job that provides a higher volume of air movement, but at a much lower flow rate. The Headwind provides a very powerful, yet concentrated stream of air.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.