Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Zurich to zermatt by train
  • stonemonkey
    Free Member

Hi

I am going to zermatt for my honeymoon in January and would like to take the train from Zurich airport to zermatt via the glacier express. However I am finding the Swiss rail website quite confusing.

Do I need to go to visp and then take the glacier express ? Can I buy one ticket and use on all trains or do i need to buy separate tickets. Is there one website that I can book the whole lot on?

Are there different seat types as we would like to have a meal en route.

Any help would be much appreciated

hot_fiat

The SBB site is totally useless for booking the special trains. I’d give up and phone the swiss travel centre tomorrow on 020 7 420 4934. You may find bahn.de slightly better but I doubt it.

stim
    Free Member

http://www.sbb.com but maybe thats what you have been looking at already. Looks like you will have to change in Visp whether you take the Glacier Express or not.

If you take a look around the sbb website, often you will see deals on tickets or travel cards which you could also use for something like the Gournagrat railway in Zermatt.

stim
    Free Member

I have to admit, I’ve never used SBB to book special train tickets! The Glacier Express has its’ own website though.

njee20
    Free Member

You don’t have to take the Glacier Express, it’s an expensive but convenient way to do it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@stonemonkey. I think the route is from airport you take a short train ride to main Zurich station (HBB) then get on train for Chur. These are normal double-decker trains (runs alongside the lake which is nice). The mountain railway style trains start in Chur. I’ve done trip Zurich to Arosa a few times, normal trail to Chur then mountain railway. The Glacier Express is something I want to do, need to save up though. Zermatt is stunning.

There are typically lots of train offers (e.g. 2 for 1) it’s worth checking these out, your Hotel in Zermatt should be able to help.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure Swiss Rail does a return ticket which also entitles you to 50% off any other train tickets you buy. Is worth it if you’re doing any other train journeys.

Look up Swiss travel system.com

hot_fiat

Did you have any luck with this?

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Hi

kind of the glacier express only stops to pick up passengers in a number of places, the closest being andermatt. This turns a 3 hour cheap journey into a 7hr expensive trip and the flight times dont work with the journey either.

Cheers

mike

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Zurich to zermatt by train’ is closed to new replies.