Viewing 3 posts - 81 through 83 (of 83 total)
  • Zone 2 training – worth it?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Zone X is just a particular coach’s thing where they think it’s good to ride to get a certain effect. There’s no general definition.

beaconjon
    Free Member

For me I just wanted some structure to my winter training with repeatable figures that would (hopefully) show me improving. The program’s that are available on TrainerRoad work for me and the monthly fee is cheap as chips (£6 I think) and you don’t need a power meter.

I think the days of just smashing out loads of steady miles in the winter are coming to an end. If you can find something that works for you, and train smart with quality rather than quantity then the winter can be very beneficial.

crosshair
    Free Member

I had ‘Cyclists Training Bible’ on ibooks for well over a year and read it once or twice but it didnt really grab me.

However, ‘MTB Training Bible’ is just a more user friendly book all round in my opinion.

To all the nay sayers, I would argue that the book (MTB Training Bible) is not dogmatic at all. In fact, he goes to great lengths to emphasise the flexibility needed to make a plan work.

The step by step way he guides you towards your plan is so simple to follow.

Also, there is room in there for all the other things people advocate. A large part of the base phases are about ‘speed’ skills which refers not to outright velocity but to the actual physical act of riding or if you prefer- skills sessions. So prety much any riding you do can be matched up with the relevant phase of the plan but you will end up doing it in a more balanced fashion.

Even a cursory glance at the block pattern recommneded weekly session will show a wave-like rise and fall of training stress.

I would urge anyone who is craving a plan but gets put off by either the thought of it or the ill-informed white noise that surrounds his very name now, to buy MTB Bible- its a good read if nothing else.

As to whether it works, well tune in next year to find out but the whole planning thing is a fun winter hobby in itself 😀

Viewing 3 posts - 81 through 83 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Zone 2 training – worth it?’ is closed to new replies.