Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Zee / saint brake compatibility
  • munkyboy
    Free Member

I have some old zee brakes that appear to be leaking/ weeping. As new callipers are not available does anyone know if saint calipers would work? Would all the cables work?

welshfarmer

AKAIK the calipers are near as damn it identical. Saints just came with better levers with more adjustments. They will definitely be interchangeable though. I have run Zee calipers with XT, SLX and deore type levers without any problems

sirromj

@munkyboy did you fit the Saint caliper with the Zee lever? I’m thinking of doing the same after discovering a crack in rear Zee caliper, and was trying to find info on compatibility.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

saints and zee’s are completely interchangeable and are effectively the same product, the saint’s having more adjustment on the levers and a pad retaining bolt rather than the split pin used on the zee callipers (although the zee calliper is threaded for the bolt)

munkyboy
    Free Member

Work in progress here. All research suggests it will work. Just need the time to fit it.

thols2

All Shimano levers will work with any Shimano caliper as long as you have the correct hose fittings at each end.

chakaping
    Free Member

You don’t even need Saints.

4-pot Deores / SLX / XT / whatever you can grab cheap will be fine.

desperatebicycle

I’ve got a Zee lever with a 2 pot XT and it’s excellent.

mashr

As loads of people have gone for a Shigura setup, and I have gone for TRimano*, you definitely wont have an issue mixing similar Shimano parts

*TRP Quadiem calipers, Shimano XT levers

sotonkona
    Free Member

Yeah as said above, Shimano are generally all cross compatible. I’ve run older style Saint and XT calipers with newer style XT levers, was just a question of the getting the right connectors – I ended up with Saint gold banjos etc. Now swapped to XTR 4 pot calipers (found a ridiculous deal that was cheaper than XT) with XT levers, no change to the hose, just a slightly different fitting to the caliper, all work great.

magoos_mate
    Free Member

I’d be interested in the calipers if youd like to sell Munkeh?? Hit me with a Pm.

zerocool

As said above. zee and Saint are interchangeable. I’ve also mixed Zee, XT, Saint and SLX in various configurations (due to them having a habit of dying all the time and spares being unavailable) without any problems or lack of power/performance.

The fact that Shimano seem to treat their products (especially brakes) as basically disposable and non repairable is one of the reason why I’ve switched away from them. That and the annoying as hells ‘wandering bite point’.

From now on I’ll probably switch to Hope as they’re 100% rebuildable.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.