Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Yukon / Far North adventures
  • BigDummy
    Free Member

I am planning a trip to Yukon in July.

Anyone got any experience of biking with Boréale, around Whitehorse or in Yukon generally? Any tips/ reckons etc appreciated. There’s obviously a fair bit to be had, at least around Whitehorse.

More generally, it will be slightly dark for a matter of minutes a night. How wrecked by that can we expect to get over 10 days, and is there anything we can do about it besides sleeping in eye-masks?

Thanking y’all 🙂

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

nope no experience of riding there. Did a road trip from Vancouver to Inuvik years ago though. God’s own country. Each province gets better as you drive along. Wouldn’t worry too much about the long days.. more riding to be had!! Watch for bears.

Pinkbike carried an article a few years ago with James Doerfling in the Yukon via Boreale Biking seemed to be the go to guys.

The Yukon and the Dempster … Robert Service summed it up beautifully

….There’s a land where the mountains are nameless,
    And the rivers all run God knows where;
    There are lives that are erring and aimless,
    And deaths that just hang by a hair;
    There are hardships that nobody reckons;
    There are valleys unpeopled and still;
    There’s a land—?oh, it beckons and beckons,
    And I want to go back—?and I will….

BigDummy
    Free Member

Excellent – thanks tuskaloosa. 🙂

markgraylish
    Free Member

Bring plenty of Deet…

(To be fair, that’s second hand advice I got from someone who has been riding with Boreale several times, so no personal experience. I +nearly+ went there last summer but logistics didn’t work out)

There was a BBC documentary about 6 months ago about the gold rush which went up the Yukon river and right thru that area. Maybe look it up for some inspiration?

There was also some short documentary on You Tube about the local first nations youth building mountain bike trails around Carcross (where Boreale are based, I believe).

BigDummy
    Free Member

After consulting various oracles and portents, we’re going to Haida Gwaii instead. 🙂

I’m leaving it on my list for another time though…

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

oh that’s fantastic, we always wanted to hire a boat and sail around Queen Charlotte/Haida Gwaii.

Enjoy either way.

Are you planning on driving to Prince Rupert?

SaxonRider

BigDummy, I don’t know if Native Canadian culture interests you, but I would strongly suggest you read up a little bit on it before you go. The Haida are incredible, and know something of the cultural context will enrich your experience.

But as someone who has chosen to live in Hong Kong, I expect you knew that already… 8)

BigDummy
    Free Member

I’m very conscious I’ve some reading to do – thank you! I’m really looking forward to it. 🙂

garethc
    Free Member

The guys at Boreale are amazing, accommodation/location is great and food out-of this world. Jealous. I loved it and will be back at some point.

Late Summer

If/when you’re in Carcross, say “hi” to Heike in the coffee shop for me!

[video]http://youtu.be/o00Sp-hLVDg[/video]

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Yukon / Far North adventures’ is closed to new replies.