Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • YT Jeffsy – “lived experiences”
  • deluded
    Free Member

I’ll be upgrading this year and I’m looking at number of bikes, foremost the YT Ind. Jeffsy.

Interested to here opinions on this model and the company – sizing (I’m 5’9”), strengths & weaknesses of the bike / build & how it rides, what are YT like to deal with for warranty issues, replacement parts overall support etc.

I’m looking at a 27.5 as I’m fairly squat and feel too perched on a 29’er.

Also, everyone likes a pic!

Cheers,

Lar.

Trimix
    Free Member

I have one, the Pro race version with carbon wheels etc in 29. My mate has the 27.5 version and he said the reach for the same size frame was slightly different. The carbon wheels do make a difference in the speed at which it picks up speed.

Mine just feels both light but sure footed. More confidence inspiring than my Scott was.

I also have a Capra and its intersting to compare.
    They do a longer travel Jeffsy which is close to the Capra, so I went for the 29er so I didnt end up with two bikes quite similar. I wanted a XC/Trail bike (Jeffsy) and a DH/Endruro bike (Capra)

Ive had a few other bikes mostly Enduro’ish and XC ish.

The Jeffsy is just a really good allrounder. I can race it about like a XC bike, but it still gives you the confidence to take the daft line, or go for the jump that you may not want to on a proper fast XC bike. Recently for example I rode it round Afan one day and the Capra the next, basically it handled the gnarr better than I did. Its hard now to pick which bike to take to Wales, all day long distance bit of everything – Jeffsy. THe Capra is a few degrees slacker, so thats for riding really daft stuff blind or the Alps.

The only issues Ive had were the rear hub from E13. Its shite, but they did sort it under warranty. So I will stay with it. If it fails again and it dosent get fixed I will just get a DT Swiss (like the ones fitted to my Capra). Everytihng else is top of the range kit, so its all fine.

Frame and geo is just spot on. Im about 5,11 and have the Large.

Ive got the Factory Fox forks and the Float shock. Once I got those set up the bike just rides fast and stable.

Strengths – confidence inspiring, very well made, fast and capable, YT support is good.
    Weaknesses – well to be honest non if your expect it to be a brilliant mountain bike. There is nothing Id change on it apart from the rear hub.

When the hub went wrong (preloaded needed tightening every two ride and the bearings failed every month) I spoke to YT who put me in contact with the E13 bloke who apologised, replaced all the internals, rebuilt my wheel with a new rim and spokes and sent it all back in about a week.

On both my Capra and Jeffsy the frames are rock solid. No creaks or issues. The kit is all top of the range Fox/Sram/DT Swiss – so its unlikely you will have an issue. If you do its all warrantied in the UK, you dont send stuff back to Germany. Just give it to your LBS and they will sort it. You may pay postage, but thats all fair.

ta11pau1

I’ve had my Jeffy CF Pro Race 29 since September, here’s my thread:

New bike build day (week!) – Jeffsy CF Pro Race

Mine started out like this:

I then fitted invisiframe, upgraded/changed some bits, and it now looks like this:

My previous bike was a 27.5 Vitus Escarpe, 140mm/150mm travel, and I’ve never found a 29er that I liked, until I rode the Jeffsy. Mine is an XXL, I’m 6ft 3in. I wanted something that could do it all – tame trail centres like Bedgebury one week, then climbing and descending Snowdon or Hellvellyn the next. It’s brilliant – silent, fast, completely capable. I plan on taking the forks to 160mm and maybe fitting a coil at the rear at some point, just becuase 🙂

I’ve had a couple of issues, first one being the dropper – I disagree with Trimix in that my dropper post is currently with YT for warranty – it’s a not uncommon issue going by forum posts where the post doesn’t have enough grease in it, and doesn’t move when it’s been sat for a while, and if it’s extended 75% of the way it won’t go all the way up.

I raised a claim on the YT site on the 30th March, and within a day had a reply with the pre-paid shipping labels. It has gone back to germany, for the reason that if you want to put a warranty claim through Silverfish (the UK distributor of Fox) you have to have proof of purchase, which you don’t get when you buy a whole bike. My post was delivered to YT on Monday so I should hear an update fairly soon.

The other issue I had was with the E13 PF41 BB, the bike has seen 250km of the worse winter for ages, so I’ll allow it some slack – and again googling, the E13 BB doesn’t seem particularly well regarded! it’s now been replaced with a Cane Creek Hellbender Neo BB, thread is here:

Cane Creek Hellbender BB

I’ve had zero issues with anything else, wheels/hubs etc. and the spec I’ve gotton on mine for the price I paid is amazing – I got it with the £1000 off deal, plus I had a 10% off voucher, so got it for £3420 down from £4799. I then sold off the old bits and the new parts cost me £850, so a total cost of £4270. I’m currently speccing up a Ti hardtail build, and with regular non carbon wheels, and Bomber Z1’s at £600 it’s coming out at £3500 – that’s singlespeed too!!! So my Jeffsy is stonking value.

tetrode
    Free Member

I got an alu 27.5 Jeffsy 2017 for £1800 on their end of year sale back at the end of 2017 and it’s been great. No issues with the bike itself, had to send back the e13 dropper a couple of months in to get a new spring, but I eventually swapped it out for a OneUp V2 one instead. Replaced the headset bearings last summer, still haven’t had to change the BB as the bearings are still running smooth after 2 and a bit years of slop and dust. No issues with the frame or bearings at all.

It’s a really great bike, although it’s also my first ever full sus so I can’t compare it to much. My next bike will most likely be a long travel 29er just because my riding has evolved to more downhill stuff, but the Jeffsy has performed great on long all day rides, trail centre blues and reds and blacks, days at BPW and the downhill runs at FOD. If you want a do-it-all bike it’s definitely a very good choice.

Trimix
    Free Member

I had to show proof of purchase for my E13 hub warranty – just used the invoice and that was fine.
    My dropper is a Reverb one, they seem to last about a couple of years before needing a service.

ta11pau1

I had to show proof of purchase for my E13 hub warranty – just used the invoice and that was fine.

Hmm, was that E13 uk direct? Maybe Silverfish would have accepted the bike invoice but given that it doesn’t mention anything about the dropper (and I had no manuals etc for it) I was doubtful.

Anyway, it’s a good test of YT warranty for me anyway.

saxabar
    Free Member

I’m 5ft 10 and got the blood red 29er a couple of years ago in large. As above, it’s a great bike! With a 34 fork and small air can it’s not a bike for smashing rocky trails, but it is deffo up for the fun stuff. I also have a Trek Slash and an Alpine 6, and the Jeffsy is more than capable of the same trails. Steep, rooty and gnar all good, but less so for rock garden carnage. Lock-outs mean it zips up road hills (even with a Minion/Aggressor combo) and the slightly steeper head angle (than the Slash/Alpine) means it’s a great trail centre bike for whoops and woods.

No warranty issues so can’t comment on that. I was told by my LBS that E13 hubs are crap, but two years later all is still well. Only things changed are the tyres.

muggomagic

I’ve been eyeing the new Alu base Jeffsy. I’ve got a 2018 Capra which now just gets used for bike parks, Morzine and the occasional trip to Surrey Hills and the buying experience and support from YT has been absolutely fine.
    I was debating whether to hang on and go for the Ripmo AF or get the Jeffsy.
    Everything on hold now though until things are back to normal as I don’t want to be spending a 2-3 grand on a bike to find in a few months time that I’m unemployed!

Trimix
    Free Member

Silverfish in the UK no longer support E13, I just emailed YT and explained the situation, they gave me the email contact of the service chap for E13 Europe and he sorted it all for me. Very good service.

But yes, E13 hubs are crap. If yours has not failed yet wait till your ride your bike in a puddle. I will see how long mine lasts, it may be that the latest versions are better made and its OK. If you take it apart you can see how rubbish the seals are.

My Jeffsy is 2years old, Capra 3 and a half and the DT Swiss wheels and hubs on it are amazing. Bloodly expensive, but they are carbon.

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

Here’s my 2018 AL Comp. It’s one of 3 29ers I have so doesn’t get a lot of use – but it’s been to BPW and Afan amongst other places and has performed brilliantly. No issues apart from I wasn’t keen on the original dropper so swapped it out for a Brand X one. Grips, seat, pads and rear tyre have been changed and I think there’s XTR & XT shifter & mech on there. And I found a non-YT bottle holder that fits.

Not had to deal with any warranty stuff but I did contact customer services as they shaved 10% off the price a couple of days after I ordered. The refunded me the discount, which was nice of them.

Mines an XL and I’m 6ft 2.

julians
    Free Member

cant comment on the jeffsy, but can comment on Yt products generally. I bought a 2018 capra cf pro, its been pretty much spot on since I bought it in 2018. No significant issues really. The PF bottom bracket died last month, so I replaced it with a hope one. The e13 rear hub goes loose every now and again, but it takes 30 secs with a spanner to tighten it up, then its fine for a few more rides.

No other issues, I’d have another YT.

ta11pau1

But yes, E13 hubs are crap. If yours has not failed yet wait till your ride your bike in a puddle. I will see how long mine lasts, it may be that the latest versions are better made and its OK. If you take it apart you can see how rubbish the seals are.

Erm… does this count?

or this…

I’ve also ridden mine through hub deep water, more than once.

Mine has seen 250km, of which about 10km has been dry. I think my wheels are a different model as they don’t have the preload adjusters, mine is a 2019 CF Pro Race so probably newer wheels.

deluded
    Free Member

*hear!

Thanks all – great feedback, really appreciated. A lot of things mentioned accord with other sources I’ve read on-line re the hub and dropper etc.

It’s been getting great reviews and I think it’s a mighty fine bike to look at with a clean front triangle and a lack of shelving. I don’t like overbuilt meccanno shock setups. And of course you get a lot of bang for your buck.

I see it being compared to the Ripmo often

I know it’s hackneyed phrase but that do-it-all bike is what I’m after.

argee

Was looking at this or the capra, have tried them and they’re good, the only thing that put me off was the PF41 BB shell, but apart from that it’s a great frame/bike, pretty standard four bar style design that’s well proven and regarded, and overall great value

hooli

I was hoping this thread would be full of people telling you how crap they are. I am trying very hard not to buy one at the moment, they even have stock in the size and colour I want.

ta11pau1

If you can hold on, wait for a sale. See my post above, they’ll have a £1000 or 10% off deal at some point.

garlando

29 pro race in XL here. Not ridden it that much. But did a few dusty days in morzine
    Come from 29er transition bandit
    Not as much fun as the bandit but a lot more trustworthy and a lot quieter!
    Annoyances – dropper could have been 175mm
    The brake/shifter needs a ‘problem solver’ to put the levers in the right place
    Too many spacers in the fork – easy fix
    It doesn’t seem to ‘roll’ that well, i suspect that’s the tyres, relatively easy fix. I got it on a deal too and for the spec it felt like id stolen it.
    Btw I’m 6’3 and agonised on size but feel like this is right for me and the type of riding I do.

ta11pau1

Is yours a 2019 model @garlando ? I’ve not checked the spacers in the fork, will do when I change the air shaft to 160mm though.

I’m waiting for a 200mm Reverb AXS to be released before I swap dropper posts, I could fit a 220mm drop and that’s on the XXL!

The E13 tyres are known to be quite draggy, that’s why I changed mine out.

Trimix
    Free Member

Buy one. It really is a do it all bike and at a bloody brilliant value.

deluded
    Free Member

I’m 99% certain that I’ll get one, once things start to return to normality. By then the price may be adjusted – who knows but as it stands it’s great value.

Taste buds well and truly moistened.

Trimix
    Free Member

Well, the price may go up as no bike company will be able to get parts as the Factories in Asia will still be shut due to no staff and supply shortages.

I would buy it now. The future is yet to happen, you can only miss the past. Do it now.

ta11pau1

They are brilliant, the only other bike I was considering at the time was the new Orbea Occam.

If I was to change mine, it would only be to something like a Forbidden Druid or a Deviate Highlander, I’ve got a right hankering after a high pivot bike for some reason. They’re £3000 frames though, whereas my Jeffsy cost me £3420 for the whole bike…

Maybe in a year or 3’s time 😀 No intentions of changing any time soon.

deluded
    Free Member

Wise words, Trimix, wise words indeed.

I’ve been working the idea into my wife who, it’s fair to say, is fairly hostile to the idea! A glimmer of hope was given last night when she said that I’d have to flog one of the three bikes that currently occupy my garage before any hope of the conversation developing. That will be my road bike, which I don’t use – never got into roadey’ing.

TallPaul – my LBS have started to get interested in Occams, again – they look lovely, capable bikes.

pothead
    Free Member

2019 pro race 29 here, currently with Carbon Bike Repair due to a crack I found under the downtube guard. I can’t be sure how or when the damage occurred as I found it whilst cleaning/servicing the bike just after Christmas, although I thought it was a strange place to just crack. Yt were adamant it was caused by an impact of some kind so refused the warranty claim and returned the frame (no charge for shipping on warranty) as the repair was a LOT cheaper than crash replacement. I’m 5’8 and on a large although I’ve swapped the 50mm stem for a 40mm and it fits me spot on, used on long xc rides through to uplift days etc and the odd enduro and it has handled everything with ease. The initial response to the warranty claim took a couple of weeks and emails but after that they were quick to reply every time. I got it in a sale for £900 less than full price

garlando

@ta11pau1 yes it is ’19. Got no idea about suspension set up myself but a mate has and it rode a lot better after removing one. Would happily take a tyre recommendation, typical riding peaslake with an annual alpine trip (hopefully).

ta11pau1

I’ve got Vittoria Martellos on mine, with rimpact inserts front and rear. I went 2.35 but you could probably go 2.6 at the rear and definitely at the front, that’s on a 29er.

I like them, it’s seen massive slop and mud over xmas and I was expecting to have to swap to a Mota (their mud/enduro tyre) on the front over winter but I didn’t. They’re pretty fast rolling on hardpack too.

They look nice with the grey sidewalls matching the grey frame too 😀

Tyres are very personal though so don’t blame if you hate them!!

My riding is Surrey Hills, Kent natural trails with some trail centre thrown in, plus planned trips to Wales/Scotland etc.

garlando

Cheers. Look great and get a glowing review I’ll take a punt.

jree
    Free Member

Mines great. Had a few issues with dropper and getting the cockpit right and I don’t like guide brakes. I’ve sorted all of those out and once I’ve got rid of my hubs for something that doesn’t feel like my brakes are on all the time it will be perfect. I am very very particular with bike set up and couldn’t get used to it for ages.
    I toyed with selling it but I was always faster on it than anybody my other bikes so kept with it and now I’m really glad I did.

muggomagic

I think the PB Field Trip review of the Jeffsy Base should be up soon, so be interesting to see what they make of it.
    Wondering if that new shorter travel YT will be out by the time we are back to normality? As a 120mm bike with Jeffsy geo would be spot on for me.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘YT Jeffsy – “lived experiences”’ is closed to new replies.