Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • YT Jeffsy 27
  • zer0cool
    Free Member

Anyone seen the new YT Jeffsy 27? Silly name, decent looking bike- https://www.yt-industries.com/uk/cat/index/sCategory/509

The 29er version is well thought of, comes with 150mm travel. My riding is more suited to around current trend of 130, but its not badly priced.
    Looks similar to Stumpjumper, but better spec.

Rorschach
    Free Member

It will suffer from ‘might as well get a capra,it’s only 10mm more travel’ syndrome.Thereby completely missing the point.

Trimix
    Free Member

Ive got a Carpa – its surprisingly bloody good at just normal trail riding. Almost makes my Scott XC bike redundant.

I suppose if you want a bloody good Trail bike get the new Jeffsy, but if you like a bit of BPW as well as messing about in the woods as well, then the Capra is hard to beat.

Perhaps if you can only get one bike the Jeffsy is the one. But if you can get two, get the Capra and a proper light weight racey XC bike.

chiefgrooveguru

I’m sure plenty of other manufacturers are breathing a sigh of relief that whatever YT get right (which is a lot) they seem to be unable to register that seat tubes don’t need to be that long, especially with big dropper posts!

From all the stuff I’ve read about the Jeffsy 27, it sounds like they’ve built a slightly burlier yet smaller wheeled version of the 29, or a steeper angled shorter travel version of the Capra. Seems a strange niche to fill, a lot of overlap between bikes. I’d have gone for something like a 130mm 27 bike but with these same angles, but what do I know?

dumbbot
    Free Member

…a lot of overlap between bikes. I’d have gone for something like a 130mm 27 bike but with these same angles, but what do I know?

Thats what i was thinking,…and i know nowt

chiefgrooveguru

Though I did get the impression that this bike is part of a push to sell many more YTs in the Asian market, where 29ers are considered too big (and presumably so are 170mm forked 27s), so maybe the niche it’s filling is a global one.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Visually looks stunning, but like others, kinda thinking its way too much overlap with the capra. If they’d made it a kilo lighter and 130mm travel it’d be placed much better to compete with a T130/5010

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Compete with a T130? I’ll be it outsells those by a hell of a lot, in fact I bet it outsells both of those.

superstu
    Free Member

I think it looks great. And appreciate that travel is close to a Capra but this does seem to be a better all round bike. Personally I’d like the 29 Jeffsy but this seems to be a good bet. Pinkbikes first impressions suggest it’s more of an all round bike than a Capra which they likened to “taking a gun to a knife fight” for all but the more technical trails.

Like the fact that they made it longer albeit still not that long by some standards.

Trimix
    Free Member

The reality may be quite far from the marketing departments dreams.

superstu
    Free Member

The reality may be quite far from the marketing departments dreams.

Absolutely, and I’ve tried none of the canyon range but I do think if I did buy blind either jeffsy would be ahead of the Capra for my riding

onewheelgood

I’ve got a 29 Jeffsy, and I really can’t see the point of this. The 29er doesn’t seem to be handicapped in any way by the big wheels. It’s nimble, light (CF Pro 26lbs once I’d swapped the tyres for something more sensible), goes up hill well, downhill well, and is fast like a 29er hardtail on the flat.

tpbiker
    Free Member

How the hell fo you get a jeffsy to weigh 26 lbs? My yeti asr running sids and xc wheels and tyres weighs 24 and the frame and shock only weigh 4.2lbs combined.

Not doubting you, but intrested in how you get a fairly burly trail bike down to that, unless its a really bling build. Does that include pedals?

plus-one
    therag
    Free Member

I’ve also got the jeffsy 29, with 140mm I chose to ride this over my transition patrol with 160mm most of the time as I usually ride bikepark Wales and trail centres the jeffsy suits these more.
    If I was buying another 650b I’d stugle to not chose the Capra. Seems a strange design to me.

tpbiker
    Free Member

The top of the range one will be around 28lbs with pedals. I guess you could run super light tubeless tyres to lose a couple of lbs. Kind of pointless on that bike I imagine but yeah defo possible

onewheelgood

The Jeffsy is not what I’d call burly – put it next to a Capra and it looks delicate. The 2016 CF Pro was a very bling build – DT Swiss XMC 1200 carbon wheels, Next SL cranks, Renthal bars and stem. The only economy was using the cheaper cassette instead of the ridiculously expensive XX1. YT claimed it weighed 26.8, IIRC, but it was 27.9 when it arrived. Swapping the Onza Ibex 2.4 (which weigh well over a kilo each and make it feel like you’re dragging an anvil around) for 2.35 Nics running tubeless got me under the 27.

thomthumb
    Free Member

they seem to be unable to register that seat tubes don’t need to be that long, especially with big dropper posts!

+1

at 180 tall i’d like a large, but with the seat tube of a medium (or a small). i don’t think i’d get a 125 dropper on there, which is odd.

legend
    Free Member

The 29er doesn’t seem to be handicapped in any way by the big wheels

You’re looking at it the wrong way. It handicaps their sales figures as some folk just wouldn’t buy a 29er

chiefgrooveguru – Member

I’m sure plenty of other manufacturers are breathing a sigh of relief that whatever YT get right (which is a lot) they seem to be unable to register that seat tubes don’t need to be that long, especially with big dropper posts!

They seem to be one of the last manufacturers to still not have received that memo

patriotpro
    Free Member

What is it with YT’s sizing… Apprently YT have added on average 40mm to the seattubes over the 29er version. Does anyone know why they would feel the need to do this?

chiefgrooveguru

They seem to be one of the last manufacturers to still not have received that memo

Indeed. If you want to see geometry for an almost 6″ 27.5 trail bike done right, look at the 2017 Banshee Spitfire:

http://bansheebikes.com/spitfire/

onewheelgood

You’re looking at it the wrong way. It handicaps their sales figures as some folk just wouldn’t buy a 29er

Until recently I was one of them, based on test riding other 29ers which all felt like ungainly barges. The Jeffsy feels huge when you first get on it (or looking at how far it sticks out either side of the car on a towbar rack) but that disappears as soon as the wheels start turning.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I can see where it fits in – it’s a trail bike for those who don’t / want to get 29ers and don’t want a Capra.

The Capra still seems like a lot of bike (170mm travel?) and this gives a 27.5 trail option. PB reckon that they’ve added a bit more length to the reach compared to the 29er.

clockarockin
    Free Member

It’s interesting that (according to PB article) they were developing this 27 version long before the 29er trend kicked in – feels to me as though this was lined up to be the next evolution of the Capra but since they took the 29″ opportunity instead, the Jeffsy 27 was kind of left somewhere in the middle.

Either way the Jeffsy 29er stunt was a genius move which brought a fresh look to the trail bike market just as the industry was pushing the ’29 inch trail bike’ trend.

bungalistic
    Free Member

Looks like a decent bike, many people still won’t want to buy a 29er and also don’t feel the need for a longer travel bike like the Capra. It’s a good mid travel trail bike, similar to the Ibis HD3, not too slack not too heavy many people will like the idea of it. Though i’d rather have the 29 over the 27 version.

The fact they’ve also lengthened the top tube and reach on the Jeffsy 27 will also help (no idea why they didn’t do this for the Capra and Jeffsy 29 too).

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Looks like a decent bike, many people still won’t want to buy a 29er and also don’t feel the need for a longer travel bike like the Capra. It’s a good mid travel trail bike, similar to the Ibis HD3, not too slack not too heavy many people will like the idea of it. Though i’d rather have the 29 over the 27 version.

I think if a lot of people are honest about their ability, and sort of stuff they ride, either version of the Jeffsey is probably more suitable over the Capra.

Slight sweeping generalisation, but I don’t think there is another bike out there that deserves the title more of ‘mince tank’ than the Capra.

onewheelgood

mid travel trail bike

160mm is mid-travel?

fifeandy
    Free Member

160mm is mid-travel?

160mm is only 1 model.
    150mm on the rest is indeed midway between 100mm on an XC bike and 200mm on a downhill bike.

patriotpro
    Free Member

34mm stanchions on the bigger-travel top model than on the lower model with lesser travel = more travel with skinnier forks, less travel with fatter forks…. Another oddity.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

t 180 tall i’d like a large, but with the seat tube of a medium (or a small). i don’t think i’d get a 125 dropper on there, which is odd.

I’m 188 tall, ride a large with a 150 reverb, and could easily fit a 170 tbh as I have about 35mm from top of seat mast to bottom of reverb nut.

And I don’t have long legs.

bungalistic
    Free Member

I reckon they could keep their slightly short reach measurements if they only lopped an inch of the seat tube on each size. That way you could size up if needed and run a decent dropper post. I’d happily choose the large (even though i’m only 5’8″) and may just get away with a 150 internal dropper.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I think if a lot of people are honest about their ability, and sort of stuff they ride, either version of the Jeffsey is probably more suitable over the Capra.

The issue being,most people are’nt.

deviant
    Free Member

Spent the day at Antur, there were a few Capras….almost comical how slack they are next to what were cutting edge DH bikes a few years ago….with the added bonus of pedalling well too.
    There were more than a few green eyed monsters from the triple crown fork brigade.

milky1980
    Free Member

Looks like a decent bike, many people still won’t want to buy a 29er and also don’t feel the need for a longer travel bike like the Capra.

My thoughts exactly! Looking to replace my ageing 5 at some point in the next year or so and a Capra would be too much bike for me. Other options seem to be going the 29er route and I have trouble with toe overlap on most of them. I already have a 120mm F/S for XC-type rides so a 150/160mm bike that can be ridden all day on tamer terrain too is what I’m after. Not many bikes on my list, this has been added though.

zer0cool
    Free Member

Jeffsy 27 been out a few weeks now, anyone took the plunge yet?

antennae
    Free Member

Plunged! And now waiting for a delivery date.

A few models look to be in stock in some sizes, the rest due late March/early April.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Other options seem to be going the 29er route and I have trouble with toe overlap on most of them.

Do you pedal with your heels, sideshow bob?….

Toasty

Other options seem to be going the 29er route and I have trouble with toe overlap on most of them.

Toe overlap on a 29er trail bike?! Your feet would need to be about a meter long on any of my bikes.

I’ve had trouble on road bikes and cyclocross, absolutely nothing on mountain bikes though. Wearing size 13 Shimano or Specialized shoes.

What bike have you had an issue with?

dlr

Something I didn’t think about on my first 29er which was admittedly steep/small but with size 13/14 shoes on flat pedals I have no toe overlap issues on any of the 4(5?) 29ers I’ve had over the last 4 or so years, can’t see it being an issue unless on something with a ridiculsouly short front center under 650 or something. Had a few comedy moments when using flats and large clumpy 510s on a road bike before though..

zer0cool
    Free Member

Good stuff Antennae, which model did you go for? Post an update if possible on your impressions of the ride please.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘YT Jeffsy 27’ is closed to new replies.