Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • YT Industries capra
  • paulnorman
    Free Member

Hey,

Does anyone here actually own a Capra? I’m very interested in getting one but not sure if it’s worth getting the top end one. Can anyone give me any info on them? Already own a canyon so I know what it’s like buying direct.

Cheers,

Paul

nickfry228
    Free Member

I got my Pro about 3 weeks ago and love it.
    The BOS suspension is fantastic, really plush.
    I had a Santa Cruz Blur which I absolutely loved and was really worried whether or not it was worth replacing it, but I’m converted.
    Last Thursday night, I did a DH run on Strava, it was wet, windy, dark slippy etc, etc, and I got KOM BY 10 seconds!
    I was ummimng and erring about the Pro, but I read a review which summed it up by saying that “it’s simply better” !
    Nuff said really!
    Hope that helps.
    Nick

paulnorman
    Free Member

Awesome, cheers Nick. That does indeed help me a lot cheers. Although it might put a dint in my wallet.

nickfry228
    Free Member

It’s worth it.
    There were reports about cracking around the rear hanger, but mine is fine. They addressed the issue apparently, and redesigned the mech hanger for the 2015 model, which mine is.
    I had a really hard landing at BikeParkWales last week, and if that didn’t crack it, nothing will!!!
    Nick

sonofozzz1
    Free Member

The price difference is only about 300 quid.
    I decided to get the comp1 because I was concerned that if I had a problem with the Bos suspension I might struggle to get it fixed in a hurry.
    I think that review said, the rockshox suspension is superb the Bos is simply better. I decided superb was good enough for me.
    The comp1 is a fantastic bike and I am well pleased with it. The only downside so far is the wheels. Although they perform brilliantly, nice and stiff, the quality of the hubs is poor. The sealing is nonexistent.
    The pro does look so nice though I still don’t know if I made the right decision.
    I don’t think you can go wrong either way really they are both amazing bikes.

BoardinBob

A mate rides the top end one and he’s done very well racing this year. He’s sold the bos bits. The forks packed in and he had to send them back. Took ages for a replacement so he bought a pike and cane creek then sold the fork and shock

grubbish
    Free Member

Best bike I’ve ever owned and the suspension is a league above anything else I’ve ridden the bike is spot on straight out the box nothing needs changing or upgrading. Only negative is the BB is low and I keep striking the pedals but I just have to get used to it and that’ll stop, I’m getting there already. It really is a good bike, an amazing bike when you take the coat into account.

aroche
    Free Member

In a similar quandary to the OP, – but my concern is whether the 170mm BOS is too much travel, this is what makes me inclined to go for the Comp with Pikes. I would be using the bike probably 50/50 for trail riding and enduro, – very much as a do-it-all. I have a DH bike also.
    If they did a 160mm BOS version it would be clear cut for me.
    Anyone (particularly current owners) have any thoughts?

chiefgrooveguru

I’d get the one without the BOS bits because I don’t trust their reliability or support – and the Pikes are so good that if the BOS fork is better it’s a very marginal difference. Does the 170mm version just ride a bit higher? (the others are 160F/165R aren’t they?)

grubbish
    Free Member

I’ve had no problem with the BOS suspension whatsoever it all works really well, I’ve had mine for just over 3 months now. It is a lot of travel but it climbs as well as my old specialized Enduro and decends far better, the only time you notice the large amount of travel is when you stand up and pedal. I wanted something that would handle the Alps better than my old enduro and this ticks the boxes, it is essentially a. Downhill bike you can pedal

lungman

My pro arrived last week, only managed one ride so far and that was a set up ride but once done it rode wonderfully. Well worth taking time with the bos to get them set up but really really good when done. I’m gonna use mine as a DH bike as much as anything else so wanted 170mm to cross that line

creaser
    Free Member

Two mates bought them 4 months ago , they are currently in the process of warranty claims as they have both failed , spend your money on something else is my advice

creaser
    Free Member

Two mates bought them 4 months ago , they are currently in the process of warranty claims as they have both failed , spend your money on something else is my advice

aroche
    Free Member

There were known issues with the chainstay and hanger design. YT redesigned the chainstays and there appear to be few if any problems since, based on 150 pages on the Capra thread over on Pinkbike. All bikes beng shipped now have the new chainstay design

droppinneutron
    Free Member

buy cheap buy twice is it?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Whens the new model out thats what im waiting for

blahblahblah
    Free Member

4 year warranty on the full frame is well above the industry average though. Free shipping back to base as well.

hora
    Free Member

“Buy cheap buy twice”

Santa Cruz and Specialized have had issues in the past with their frames. Spend lots, sit waiting.

aroche
    Free Member

Whens the new model out thats what im waiting for

Same here,
    Should be announced in January, early February by the sounds of it- with some luck they will ditch those e-thirteen wheels.

I’m probably after a version with pikes, – spec most likely will be Pikes, black monarch plus, Guide brakes and hopefully a different wheelset.

Superficial
    Free Member

What’s this about a new model?

droppinneutron
    Free Member

on my fifth santa cruz not one issue with any bike. Got a great price, enjoyed every minute riding them

kelvin

I’m getting annoying text messages from a friend who’s just started riding his. He’s raving about how good it is.

duir
    Free Member

Are they going to make a longer version for 2015?

catvet
    Free Member

Given that the present models are short I would guess so!

cubemeup
    Free Member

i dont see what the problem is with the E13 wheels, they are strong fast rolling and light

sonofozzz1
    Free Member

As I said in my earlier post,the e13 wheels perform brilliantly, they are nice and stiff. Have you ridden them in wet weather? Have you washed your bike? Have a look at your free hub.
    There is no seal of any kind protecting the carbon steel free hub. It’s hard plastic against hard plastic. Also I recon mine probably came with no grease in there either. After 3 weeks and approx 200 miles of riding in admittedly very wet conditions for some of it (Penmachno ) my free hub was seized, rusted solid.
    My DT Swiss wheels would last a year before they needed attention. I have also heard of people having other hub issues.
    By the way I didn’t buy my capra because it was cheap. I had a large range of other bikes available to me at trade price. I bought it because I believed it was the best all round bike available period. I still believe that, it is an amazingly versatile bike.definately the best I’ve ever owned.
    For anyone buying one I recomend using fair fx for the money transfer. I saved hundreds over doing it with my bank.

RickDraper
    Free Member

Given that the present models are short I would guess so!

I’d think it will be 2016 before much else other than paint colour changes.

BoardinBob

Yes, because no other bike in the history of the world has ever had a warranty issue…

buy cheap buy twice is it?

I wouldn’t class £3,185 as “cheap”

hora
    Free Member

on my fifth santa cruz not one issue with any bike. Got a great price, enjoyed every minute riding them

I’ve lost count on how many SC’s I owned by to insult YT when no other manufacturer has been fault free is patently wrong. Plus ‘buy cheap’? LOL. So we should spend 5k on a bicycle now?

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Anyone have any word on what their shipping process is like? Do you get an update saying “your bike is being built”, “now it’s being shipped”, or do they just build it in the week it’s supposed to be available, and it turns up without warning on your doorstep?

BoardinBob

Do you get an update saying “your bike is being built”, “now it’s being shipped”, or do they just build it in the week it’s supposed to be available, and it turns up without warning on your doorstep?

Mrs Boardinbob did for her YT Tues (get updates at each stage)

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Cheers.

grobin13
    Free Member

Looking at ordering either a Nomad or a Capra Pro to replace my stolen Bronson. I am leaning towards to Capra as the spec is superior and I would save myself about £3k. My only issue is that I hate white frames….. Does anybody know any details of the 2015 model. If there are colour changes I may hang fire.

sonofozzz1
    Free Member

Exactly I can think of people I know with virtually every brand of bike that have had warranty issues.
    I love Santa Cruz and I do have one, but the capra is better than the nomad irrespective of price.
    I didn’t get updates for my delivery it just turned up. Bang on time.

droppinneutron
    Free Member

I’ve lost count on how many SC’s I owned by to insult YT when no other manufacturer has been fault free is patently wrong. Plus ‘buy cheap’? LOL. So we should spend 5k on a bicycle now?

No of course £3k is a lot of money but when its compared to a £6k nomad it is cheaper, and they have been unlucky to have quality issues with the Capra when the nomads haven’t had any issues, (AFAIK anyway). I also appreciate that spending an extra £3k just to not experience a potential problem is a bit daft.

Plus, I’m not making it up – they had a big recall and issues with frames didn’t they?

I have ridden a capra briefly and it felt identical to a nomad in terms of shape — i would get one if i could get it from a shop but you can’t so i wont (didn’t)

Superficial
    Free Member

Surely the obvious known issue with the Nomad which AFAIK affects every single unit sold – the massively underwhelming ride quality. Pretty much all the reviews I’ve read seem to suggest there’s something not quite right with the geo. Of course, it always gets 4 stars but I tend to take that with a double-page-spread-advert’s amount of salt.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Surely the obvious known issue with the Nomad which AFAIK affects every single unit sold – the massively underwhelming ride quality. Pretty much all the reviews I’ve read seem to suggest there’s something not quite right with the geo. Of course, it always gets 4 stars but I tend to take that with a double-page-spread-advert’s amount of salt.

VPP is garbage that’s why.

droppinneutron
    Free Member

only bad review i read was in dirt where are the others?

RickDraper
    Free Member

only bad review i read was in dirt where are the others?

Dirt review **** LOL.

hora
    Free Member

You was actually able to understand dirt and there was actually an article in there amongst the full page pics and adverts?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘YT Industries capra’ is closed to new replies.