Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • YT Capra or Bird AM9
  • tmass91
    Free Member

Hello.

Currently in the market for a new steed so I narrowed it down to the new Capra and the Bird Aeris AM9. After much deliberation I opted for the YT Capra AL Pro 2018 in XXL as the price and spec were fantastic. I am 6’7″, 110kg and have a 36″ inseam so choices are pretty limited. (Geometron is way out of my budget). After trying to find more information on taller people and the Capra, I came across a picture of Rob Warner sat on an XXL Capra and he looks cramped…. To my knowledge he is 6,4″ so I would be even worse off. Worrying, I contacted Bird and they advised me of their taller clientele opting for the XL AM9 and loving it. Geometry appears to be a little roomier and the reviews are fantastic. Not to mention the value for money. So basically, I am seeking your help. Should I stick with the Capra or Cancel the order and place one with Bird? Have any of you taller guys demoed or got one of the two? Any information is appreciated!

Trimix
    Free Member

Given your size, you do need to demo one.  YT do demos, so google for where.

joemmo
    Free Member

The Pinkbike Bird thread has a few people discussing the larger sizes of the AM9, might be useful.

https://m.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=203886&pagenum=23

joebristol

I’d pause your order and try to test ride both bikes. I’m guessing the Capra probably has a better spec for the money, but perhaps less good factory support / not as much length in the top tube for the size.

I’m biased as I went for an Aeris 145 over the other bikes I considered (Capra / Swoop / Edit / Mega 275), but the support from Ben / Dan etc has been really good at Bird.

tmass91
    Free Member

Pinkbike thread is great, thank you. I would love to demo one, just a broken leg holding me back at the moment and for the next 8 weeks… I was looking at placing an order now so It would arrive around September which is when i am due to be finished with physio.

joebristol

Ah. That’s tricky. You may find Bird could hold a frame for you – give them a ring and speak to Ben or Dan. I don’t think the 29er Capra was in the recent MBUK enduro bike test butbthe AM9 came top 3. I think the Canyon torque might have won it and the Radon Swoop was the other top 3 Bike.

slowboydickie

Joemmo, I’m selling an extra longest Nicolai G13 is you’re interested. If so please PM me.

joemmo
    Free Member

Joemmo, I’m selling an extra longest Nicolai G13 is you’re interested. If so please PM me.

Thanks but I’m guessing that was aimed at the OP not me:) As a relatively average 5’10” I think I’d struggle a bit on that anyway…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘YT Capra or Bird AM9’ is closed to new replies.