Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • YT about to launch an eBike?
  • gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

site is down for maintenance too ……or are they just messing with us?

The Hunt is On

ta11pau1

YT Decoy I believe?

Yep – site is back up https://www.yt-industries.com/uk/cat/index/sCategory/73535

YT Decoy, starting at £4199, to £5999. 27.5 rear, 29 front wheels, carbon frames.

Looks like YT have got all their ducks in a row…

kayak23

Hmmm, interesting. Be keen to find out what the quack is.

Edit ^^^ oh…

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

This is great

YT Decoy

cokie

Looks smart and priced pretty well!
    Still fancy a go on an FS e-bike. Looks fun.

cokie

Review here 😉 https://singletrackworld.com/charged/2019/03/28/yt-decoy-emtb-first-ride-review/

Didn’t even know STW had an E-bike section!
    How do i navigate there from the main page?

danposs86

First Christopher Walken, now Vinnie Jones.

Someone is feeling flush now Gwin is off the books.

danposs86

Didn’t even know STW had an E-bike section!
    How do i navigate there from the main page?

Under ‘Channels’ in the top navbar

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Looks good. Still trying to resist buying one at the moment, but this will be on the list when I do 🙂

sharkattack

That’s the most appealing e-bike I’ve ever seen. 6 grand for a carbon framed e-bike with carbon rims and Di2 is madness. And it looks like a proper bike, that might actually be fun to ride!

What happens though, when one of your very expensive components craps itself? You can’t drop in to your local YT dealer. I’ve had a YT before but nothing this flash and I wonder if batteries and motors are reliable enough yet. Or would you be out of action for months waiting for replacements all the time?

I’m not in the market for one but I work in Sheffield city centre and the idea of commuting on an e-bike then taking off on a proper mountain bike ride has been nagging me for ages.

My current favourite was the Levo. I’m interested to see how they come along in the next couple of years.

timmys

Bigger wheel at front than back? Someone will be along to accuse it of being more of a motocross bike than a bicycle in a minute. 😉

singletrackandi

@sharkattack the good news is that because it’s a Shimano motor any Shimano service center in the UK will be able to do any work. As for the battery, the current deal is YT would need to complete any work/warranty on it, but they hope Shimano service centers will soon be able to handle those in the near future.

singletrackandi

@timmys same as the Canyon Spectral:On and Intense Tazer 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Vinnie doesn’t shoot over and under.

woots787
    Free Member

I’ve ridden bikes since the days of 120g fred salmon handlebars and the only thing I’ve broken is a yt tues cf front triangle, genuinely just riding along, 60kg office worker, not a pinner etc just a poor layup. Anyway took two weeks from first email to new frame, they paid all postage etc plenty of updates, warranty wouldn’t worry me.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m fairly resigned to the fact that my next bike will be an e-bike. Not resigned as in I’ll be forced too, or at 44 (when I’ll be changing my new one) I’ll need one, but they do make sense.

Apart from the massive cost, the only concern is incompatibility with my mates, whoever goes ‘E’ first will be climbing alone and waiting, a lot, whoever goes last will be the irritating one holding the rest back.

ta11pau1

That is a brilliant launch video 😀 “You prick.”

This is the song in the outro before anyone asks

snooze
    Free Member

Do YT have a service centre in the UK? They quote UK pricing for servicing on their website, but they don’t mention where the servicing is carried out and how you get the bike to them.

sharkattack

Ah, bollocks. I’ve read all the bumpf now, watched all the vids. I properly want one. It’s the first e-bike I can see myself actually purchasing. If they did 0% finance I’d be in trouble with the Mrs.

They’ve adopted the idea we were on about in a tyre thread the other day. I said I’d like to try a DH bike with a smaller back wheel and fatter tyre but a more precise narrow one up front. No difference in overall wheel height, much less prone to rear flats. Surely it would be great for motoring over stuff but not have the horrible, floaty, plus-tyre steering feel. I’ve been meaning to try it on my Geometron but it’s an expensive experiment when you don’t have multiple wheels and tyres lying around.

What a handsome machine.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That is nice!

ta11pau1

I must admit that is probably the nicest looking e-bike I’ve seen. Take away/hide the motor in front of the crankset and it would look like a regular, beefy enduro bike.

chiefgrooveguru

“Apart from the massive cost, the only concern is incompatibility with my mates, whoever goes ‘E’ first will be climbing alone and waiting, a lot, whoever goes last will be the irritating one holding the rest back.”

I’m that first one. It’s absolutely fine! I just turn the assistance up or down or off depending on what I want. Just back from a group night ride on it.

trumpton
    Free Member

first ebike I’ve seen that looks nice.

colp

Looks very nice indeed, 1.2k cheaper than a Lapierre EZESTY although not directly comparable in terms of weight, range etc.
    Looking like my 6th YT purchase!

julians
    Free Member

It looks great, they’re really starting to get the hang of ebikes now.

I suspect my next bike will be electric and if I had to buy now it’d be one of these.

My only reservation with ebikes in general is how much of a pain in the arse are they to get over stiles and gates.

And how reliable are they?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

The e bike that’s ashamed to be an e bike. According to the review basically.

Good marketing. They’ll sell loads.

munrobiker
    Free Member

much less prone to rear flats.

You haven’t ridden with 650 plus tyres anywhere remotely rocky have you? When I ran them, both Schwalbe and WTB, I got punctures on all but one ride. I can’t imagine how bad it is with the extra heft of an ebike. Bikeradar took three up Snowdon and they got so many punctures they had to go down the Llanberis path and even then one of them had to walk most of the way back.

I think unless you’ve got something like the mad expensive Schwalbe Eddy Currents then it’s mad having 650 plus on an email bike.

Oddly, I’ve never had this issue with the Bontrager 29+ tyres on my hardtail, regardless of how many times I’ve battered them off the rim.

colp

They really are starting to look good

colp

I can’t imagine how bad it is with the extra heft of an ebike.

It’s only an extra 10% or so weight when you include the rider.
    Had no problem with DHR2 2.8s so far

sharkattack

You haven’t ridden with 650 plus tyres anywhere remotely rocky have you? 

Maybe because plus size bikes have tyres made from material that resembles a pair of rubber gloves.

I’m just thinking out load about wheel and tyre sizes. Obviously a DH casing is essential for my example. I wouldn’t be interested in anything like I’ve seen on regular balloon tyred monstrosities.

Northwind

Is that the Drover’s Inn there? Looks like it but there didn’t seem to be enough dead animals

chiefgrooveguru

“My only reservation with ebikes in general is how much of a pain in the arse are they to get over stiles and gates.”

Well, they’re a fair bit heavier than a normal MTB. But if you think you aren’t strong enough to lift 20-25kg of bike over a stile, that’s a good reason to do a bit of strength training as well as pedalling – it’ll only be beneficial, especially as you get older.

“And how reliable are they?”

That’s a good question! I’m sure it depends on the implementation. I’ll ask my LBS what they’re finding.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘YT about to launch an eBike?’ is closed to new replies.