Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You’ve Won!! and Diesel Emissions Spam
  • P20

Anyone else getting spam’d all over the place at the moment? I’m getting a lot of “You’ve Won!” emails claiming to be from the likes of ScrewFix, John Lewis, Asda (never used Asda), etc. There’s also daily phone calls from landline and mobile numbers for diesel emission claims. I’ve checked and i’m on the TPS service

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Been getting “you’ve won” emails like that for approx the last year, recently seems to be an upturn that are not getting automatically filtered to junk folder.

Speeder

I’ve often wondered this – What is the “claim” for on a diesel emission scandal? What would a member of the public have to claim against? That they got slightly les mpg than clamed in the made up fuel economy figures? Or is it simply a scam to get bank details from the gullible?

There’s obviously money in it or you wouldn’t see so many adverts.

desperatebicycle

That they got slightly les mpg than clamed in the made up fuel economy figures

No, that the diesel emissions were slightly more than the claimed emissions you bought the car for.
    I bought mine for the big boot and it’s still got that, so I won’t be claiming 🙂

desperatebicycle

If I look in my Gmail spam folder (gmail is brilliant at spam blocking) I have won a 36 piece tupperware set, 17 Ninja air fryers, 24,000 quid in my Paypal and my ex-sister-in-law has sent me some dirty photies! Life’s a bowl of spam fritters ain’t it.

molgrips
    Free Member

What is the “claim” for on a diesel emission scandal?

That you were misled on the amount of NOx your car produces and you therefore suffered emotional trauma knowing you polluted more than you should.

As if most people had even heard of NOx at the time….

P20

The email filter is usually pretty effective, but these have been pretty bad. The calls are half a dozen a day

mattyfez

If you look at the actual sender of the email, they will all be from dodgy email addresses…
    A lot also come from compromised Gmail addys…
    Just perma-block the ones that make it past the spam filter….

mattyfez

“The calls are half a dozen a day”

Calls to mobile phone can also be blacklisted on your device, assuming it’s a fairly modern phone.

P20

Yeah. I’m blocking them, but they are using multiple different addresses/numbers. The numbers are similar

CountZero

“ That you were misled on the amount of NOx your car produces and you therefore suffered emotional trauma knowing you polluted more than you should.

As if most people had even heard of NOx at the time…”

They had in America, where the diesel emissions fuss was going on – they didn’t care about CO2 emissions, “‘cos who cares about the environmint, bub?”

vlad_the_invader

“The calls are half a dozen a day”

My phone (Google Pixel 6a) automatically screens calls so any caller receives a recorded message which prompts them to state why they are calling and you can see the text of the “conversation” on the phone lock screen (and choose to answer or ignore based on the content).

Seems pretty effective to me though admittedly I don’t get many people calling me anyway (Billy No Mates!)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.