Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • yourkshire 3 peaks
  • mav12
    Free Member

going for a walk up that way sunday which is the best/nicest one to walk up where is best to park never been ther before so know nothing about the area looking to do about 9t o 10 miles

ta

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I would say Ingleborough is the nicest of the 3 but still not great, you could bike up it?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

As FD none of them are that brill. I’d say Whernside, just because it’s the biggest, there’s a big viaduct to admire and there’s an obvious route back down that’s completely different to the way up yet still gets you back to your car. Park a Ribblehead Viaduct. There’s also a pub at the viaduct, but the one towards Ingleton is a bit nicer.

A longer alternative from Ribblehead viaduct would be to head on the footpaths to ellerbeck, chapel le Dale, up Inglebro, then head north along the ridge line back to Ribblehead. That’s a nice walk with interest from what I recall

theteaboy
    Free Member

Ingleborough from Chapel le Dale is great (and the pub’s good too).

Don’t do Ing from Horton – the Sulber Nick path is a loooong way.

flyingmonkeycorps

I’d do Ingleborough from Clapham, up through Trow Gill and past Gaping Gill, then down past Nick Pot and Sulber Pot turning right at Sulber to head back along Long Scar.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

With the Flying Monkey – only been to Ingleborough and back from Clapham but it is a lovely walk.

Top tip – don’t stand too close to the edge at Gaping Gill – it is very slippery 😳 I very nearly did actually shit myself that day.

I quite like the steep walk up Pen-y-ghent too but only did that as part of the 3 Peaks so have no idea of walks around that area. I do remmber a big bog between Pen-y-ghent and the next peak though – I *think* it was Ingleborough but can’t quite remember.

MrSparkle

Conversley I’d do Pen Y Ghent.

I like it because it’s such an interestingly shaped mountain. I also like it because it’s the last one you have to get up and down on the 3 Peaks Cyclocross race!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

m_f, no the big bog is between p-y-g and Whernside. I remember it well 😀

I can also concur that the walk from Clapham by the route described above is good by Dales standards, in that there’s a bit of change in terrain.

flyingmonkeycorps

Nah the horrific bog is between Pen-y-ghent and Whernside, pretty much straight after you come off the slopes of PYG. If the weather’s bad it’s easy to avoid the worst though, by following the path back to Horton a bit further then turning right on the bridleway.

Out and back from Clapham is also a nice chilled walk, but I really like going down to the Pots and along Long Scar, there are some really interesting rock formations and you get some cracking views over the valley you walk in on.

I also love PYG as a walk, but Ingleborough JUST pips it for me I think, just ‘cos there’s more to see apart from the hill itself – there’s Gaping Hill, Trow Gill, the weird rocks at the pots, and the view off the top is superb if it’s clear, especially down towards Ribblehead.

But then again I love the shape of PYG, and the scramble light to the top… Really, they’re both ace

billysugger
    Free Member

Might be useful for you mav. Bit grim today.

Webcam

PYG for me. I know you said walk but t’is fun to carry the bike up from the direction of MrSparkle’s pic. Barel* down the other.

* I know, slick :mrgreen:

Pieface

I think the consensus is not Whernside

Gribs

I’ve been up Pen-y-ghent and Ingleborough multiple times but I’ve only been up Whernside when doing the 3 peaks. I’d probably pick Ingleborough as the nicest, starting in Ingleton and going up the Waterfalls towards Chapel-le-dale, from there up onto Ingleborough and then head back towards Ingleton.

martinhutch

I like both pen-y-ghent and Ingleborough, but PYG is a very short outing – you can be up and down in a couple of hours even at walking pace.

So I’d recommend Ingleborough from Clapham, and if you feel like it, returning via Sulber on the path to Horton, and then either into Crummackdale, or along the top of Norber Scar before turning right and heading through the tunnels into Clapham again

PS: Here’s another reason you might want to avoid Whernside…

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-17040020

MrSparkle

I must say that I like Whernside as a run. Park up near the butty van, run up the road towards the Hill Inn and then turn in at the farm virtually opposite. Just follow the bridleway/footpath then. Up o’er the summit and across and down the ‘interesting bit’ onto Blea Moor by the railway line and thence to the viaduct. Change in the car and get a bacon butty and a brew. Sorted!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Horton to Pen y Ghent gets my vote as it was my first hill in the Dales, back when I were a boy scout.

mav12
    Free Member

thanks guys for the input

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘yourkshire 3 peaks’ is closed to new replies.