Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Your thoughts on MTB short breaks in the UK….
  • stumpynya12
    Free Member

Guide seeks customers…..brilliant !!!

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Just to clear things up – Druidh & stumpynya12 – this is definitely not an advert, as I have nothing to sell, however, being honest this is research and any business plan starts at the beginning, i.e. find out what your potential customers would want/like, that means researching your ‘market’ and seeing that this is a cycling (predominantly MTB) website I thought this a great place to start?

Sorry you feel ‘duped’, but this is a genuine attempt to start researching a potential ‘market’ and yes some of the comments left here may be taken forward (I hope they are) to form a part of a future business.

I am just an ordinary guy who has a love for MTB and I want to do my best to share that with like minded people.

If it all comes together – then look out for my ‘paid’ advert on this forum. Thanks for your comments though guys.

Thanks to all you guys that have given some great feedback. Your opinions do help and mean a lot.

RoterStern
    Free Member

A good friend of mine has started a similar business here in Germany. He doesn’t offer only guiding though, he also does skills weekends and training camps (he has a degree in sports science). He mainly has novice MTbers who join the weekends to get some skills advice and to go out riding with riders of a similar ability. He has graded routes based on rider ability (beginner, intermediate and advanced) so all the riders have a good idea of what they are letting themselves in for. He also belongs to a network of similar guides who seem to share clients who want to ride in an area not familar to the guides personally.

RoterStern
    Free Member

A good friend of mine has started a similar business here in Germany. He doesn’t offer only guiding though, he also does skills weekends and training camps (he has a degree in sports science). He mainly has novice MTbers who join the weekends to get some skills advice and to go out riding with riders of a similar ability. He has graded routes based on rider ability (beginner, intermediate and advanced) so all the riders have a good idea of what they are letting themselves in for. He also belongs to a network of similar guides who seem to share clients who want to ride in an area not familar to the guides personally.

druidh
    Free Member

Ithesinger – don’t sweat it. There have been other folk on here who have used the forum as a sounding board for similar business ventures – including Diz who ended up in Austria. Mibbe that first post could have explained the position a bit more clearly?

FWIW, I’m in the “grab a map and head off” category – but then I also enjoy all the planning and logistics. Some folk hate that aspect. The only guided ride I’ve been on was a LEJOG I did earlier this year in support of Marie Curie. That was a bit weird for me as they’d obviously planned the route and had booked accommodation etc.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

druidh – Member

FWIW, I’m in the “grab a map and head off” category – but then I also enjoy all the planning and logistics. Some folk hate that aspect. The only guided ride I’ve been on was a LEJOG I did earlier this year in support of Marie Curie. That was a bit weird for me as they’d obviously planned the route and had booked accommodation etc.

Thanks for that – I believe that catering for people that “grab a map and head off” is going to be just as important as any guiding, if the feedback so far is anything the go by – if all goes well perhaps one day you might be grabbing a map from me.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

Roter Stern – Member

There is some good advice/helpful hints in there – thank you.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

I am hoping to catch the weekend crowd for some more survey responses. Thanks to all those that have taken the survey so far, the responses are very helpful.

It’s only 6 questions, so please let me have your thoughts…

Thanks All.

ltheisinger
    Free Member

I thought I would post some initial results from the 6 questions – I have had a healthy response so far, so a good indication of your thoughts….

Would you take a Guided MTB Short Break in Devon (Dartmoor)?
    66% would possibly or definitely take a short break to Devon.

Would you want to hire a bike?

98% of people wouldn’t want to hire a bike.

How many days would you want to stay?
    48% would prefer a 2 day break & 43% would prefer a 3 day break.

What would be your maximum budget for the short break, including – Accommodation and Guiding?
    53% of respondents would pay £200 for an MTB short break.

What type of accommodation would you want?
    The choices were Bunkhouse (91%) & Camping Facilities 9% – although a few mentioned a B&B option for an additional cost.

Please give us a short paragraph on what you would expect from a ‘Guided Mountain Bike Short Break’.
    This gave some very good insights into what you expected – but this one summed them all up quite well……

“different route each day, multiple route options, maps/pictures, route grading, trained and properly equipped guides, optional night ride, well stocked lbs, local pub! Big breakfast, packed lunch or planned lunch stop, Dinner”

Thank you to everyone that has responded so far, your feedback has been great and led to some further ideas and developments.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Your thoughts on MTB short breaks in the UK….’ is closed to new replies.