• This topic has 28 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Your small victories
  • pondo

I am the world number 1 – world – on Stephen King for November on the QuizUp app.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

A KOM on a segment I didn’t know existed. Came down off the hills on my CX and was on a long downhill back into town. Two lanes, had a car on my rear 3.4s that made me uncomfortable so pedalled fast. Segemnt is about 2 miles long in city traffic – averaged about 30mph, topping out at 45mph. No helmet either oops.

Anyway, faster than 1200 other cyclists and 0:01 than the number 2 guy

user-removed
    Free Member

Telling my boss exactly what I thought of him shortly before quitting and going full time with my own businesses. Few years ago now and still gives me a warm glow 😀 (I’m normally a nice, peaceful guy too).

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    alanw2007

Seating tubeless tyre beads with a track pump.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Snaking cleanly through the wee hairpin of those staggered fence/gate things that are designed to thwart the progress of cyclists.

Royston
    Free Member

Today at a settlement conference in Family Court trying to establish a fair share of contact time with my kids over Christmas and the upcoming summer holiday (I live in NZ). Neither she nor her lawyer show up and later claim they didn’t know about it? I knew about it six weeks ago as did the ‘lawyer for child’ and reponse from e-mails and submissions from all parties suggest it’s highly improbable to be the case and a major delaying tactic. Anyway the Judge was not impressed and now she (my ex) is in a lot of shit and the matter will be ruled on next week based on submissions only which should be good for me in that I’ll get to see them alot more than her miserly idea of time with them.
    Fingers crossed

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Having a painter and decorator asking me where I’d got my cabinet doors spray painted and telling him that I did them myself with a roller. Disproportionately proud.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I had a 2 page letter of apology from the student loans company for taking money they shouldn’t have.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

And I’ll also add making it from drop off to the lounge at the airport fully checked in in under 6 minutes, shame the flight will be a while
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/PcAmA9]Time to go home I think[/url] by Mike Smith, on Flickr

bruneep

Proving that my wife was wrong.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Catching the tiniest of waves (<1fters) on my SUpSurfboard… Mates hate me for it as they flounder around… 😆

richardkennerley

I got a question right in the first round of only connect the other night. I got 3 points whilst the team on the show only got 2, the losers.

binners

Myself and binnerette number 2 (aged 9) will be on our own on Friday night, as everyone else is out doing stuff.

This morning I asked here what she would like to do. We can do absolutely anything you like, says I. Its entirely up to you….

“Can we go for a curry?” came the reply

So I win at life today, and eagerly await my Mumsnet Parent of the Year Award 😀

nickjb
    Free Member

I got a question right in the first round of only connect the other night. I got 3 points whilst the team on the show only got 2, the losers.

I got two questions right that the team didn’t get. The other team don’t get one of them either when thrown over. On fire!

P-Jay
    Free Member

I once threw a dart (I don’t play) and it landed, and settled in the flight of the one I threw previously.

No one believed me, bar my best mate who watched it happen.

jam-bo

i once threw a dart, pinged it off another dart, it looped back and landed in my mates foot who was stood next to me. I took that as victory.

nickjb
    Free Member

i once threw a dart, pinged it off another dart, it looped back and landed in my mates foot who was stood next to me. I took that as victory.

Playing pitch and putt ages ago. Friend of mine teed off, hit a metal post about 3 feet away. The ball pinged back and hit him in the shin. Looked like it hurt a lot. No victory but very funny. Thanks for reminding me.

theotherjonv

my dad did similar; teed off, the ball never got higher than a foot off the ground across the tee box, hit a small concrete ball that the course used to mark the lady’s tee and rose vertically (well, almost as it turned out) before then plummetting to earth. I was standing behind him to sight his shot and literally didn’t move, I just put my hands out and the ball fell into them. So i gave it back to him and let him have a Mulligan.

stumpy01

muppetWrangler – Member

Having a painter and decorator asking me where I’d got my cabinet doors spray painted and telling him that I did them myself with a roller. Disproportionately proud.

This reminds me – when at uni I did a foundation of engineering course before doing my degree (because I got a rubbish maths A-level). We had to do a drawing module on proper drawing boards with pencils and all that vintage stuff…. 😀

Our course tutor was marking our previous weeks work & another tutor wandered over, pointed to my drawing (that our tutor coincidentally happened to be marking) and said “oh, I didn’t think the foundation group did CAD?”.
    Our tutor looked at him a bit confused and said “they don’t….that’s been drawn by hand”. The other tutor thought it was a print-out from AutoCAD it was so neat…..I was well chuffed. Our tutor gave me a look, marked an A on the page & carried onto the next drawing. I was sooooo pleased with myself, because I used to pride myself on my engineering drawings.

RE, the golf examples above I got quite into golf but was never very good at it. I was playing a round by myself early one morning on a crappy, simple course out on the edge of the fens.
    I managed to get a birdie on a par 3 hole, approx. 180yds. My tee shot ended up about 5 yds from the edge of the green & I did a little chip & run with my pitching wedge onto the green that ran straight into the hole.
    Cue me literally whooping & cheering while jumping up & down. I think I might have even thrown my club in celebration too…..
    I looked around & there was absolutely no one around. Not a soul. No one to see my first ever birdie & revel in my joy….so I ate a 4 finger Kitkat by way of celebration & carried on….. 😆

wwaswas

You’re still wrong. You just understand why you’re wrong.

chakaping
    Free Member

Made a very tasty big omelette with courgette, leek, sweetcorn & pepperoni this morning.

Gave it to the kids at lunchtime and they ate almost all of it.

That’s quite a big victory actually, so I dunno if it counts.

nicko74

Once – about 5 years ago – cleared a pool table from the break without my mate getting chance to come to the table. We were all very drunk; couldn’t think of a way to memorialise it, so I have a poor photo of a pool table with 7 ‘stripe’ balls on it and 3 of us looking absolutely wrecked as a memento. Still get chuffed when I think about it.

pocpoc
    Free Member

Proving that my wife was wrong

This everytime (which is about twice a year at most).

And when all three children go to sleep with minimal fuss before 8pm

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Testing a Neil Pryde slalom windsurfing sail out in the Canaries. Wrote up that it had problems for anyone who wasn’t a top level racer.
    Poo hit the fan. Neil Pryde himself, Barry Spannier (the designer) and assorted team riders told me I was wrong. All the other magazines around the world said it was great. UltraSport in the UK pulled their advertising for a few months.
    Five months later they introduced a consumer level version of the sail addressing all the problems I’d identified.
    Win.

Cool story eh, bro?

Be nice, it’s all I’ve got.

Rich_s

The other day she was looking for something and asked where it was.

“It’s in the cupboard” says I.

She rummages for a while and pipes up “can’t find it”.

So I majestically waltz over to said cupboard, open the door and – and this is no lie dear reader – reach straight for said item before preferring it aloft to the God of great victories!

“That’s not where I left it” said she. BUT IT DIDN’T MATTER COS I WON!

Back to normal for the rest of the week.

TimothyD
    Free Member

I fished a sultana out of my cup of tea with a spoon first try after one dropped into it from the handful I was eating. Ninja skills. 😉

StirlingCrispin

While on bikes on the local trails, Thump, aged 10, got separated with a out-of-town friend from the main party.

He then made his own way to the local brewery where we had all arranged to meet 🙂

His friends mum was well impressed!

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

“Can we go for a curry?” came the reply

So I win at life today

I am not worthy.

IHN

Playing Killer Threes (the darts game) in the sixth form common room. Down to the last two players; Me and Matt Hunt. I’ve got 20, he’s got Bull.

Matt uses his three darts to hit three twenties, setting me down on nothing. I’m at his mercy, he’s very smug.

I step up; treble twenty (so I’m back to Killer), Bull (counts for two), Bull (again). BOOM, YOU’RE DEAD! 🙂

The finest three arra’s I’ve ever thrown.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Your small victories’ is closed to new replies.