Viewing 22 posts - 81 through 102 (of 102 total)
  • Your Silliest Mid-life Crisis*
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

I just quit a well paying job with no other job to go to, because it was the most toxic place I’ve ever worked and was ruining my mental health.

I did that too, aged 41. 😀

Best thing I ever did. Jib in my well paid corporate nonsense job. Still saying that 7 years later.

jimster01

Another skateboard/bowl rider here at 50, realised that wipeouts hurt at 51 attempting my first drop-in at Braunton bowl.

stumpy01

I’m too skint to have a mid-life crisis….unless the black Friday deal I got on a Vax carpet cleaner for cleaning up the remnants of in-the-depths-of-the-night toddler sick counts…..?

It doesn’t, does it?

136stu
    Free Member

I can paint and cook and have a chemistry degree. Anyone hiring?

Get in touch with Heston Blumenthal.

lowey

I scrimped and scraped together enough money to take a direct access motorbike course when I was 32. Passed first time, but could never afford a bike.

I have not sat on a bike since passing my test 16 years ago and now have zero interest despite grown up kids and lots of cash.

benp1

This thread is great for mid life crisis ideas, thanks!

shinton
    Free Member

I’ve got a V8 itch I need to scratch. CLK 500 convertible seems the most sensible, but I keep hankering after my old TVR 350i from 20+ years ago.

jimster01

Current itch is a new bike, just need to start saving me pennies.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

alpin – Member
    eddiebaby – Member
    Blonde, curvy and 22 yrs younger than me. (And still well legal.)
    This only counts of you didn’t pay for it…. If you did then it’s a wise investment.

Oh I paid alright. Split with wife. Threw in the best job in the world. Inevitably ended the relationship with the delightful young lady (who was probably the most intelligent and grounded person I’ve ever met) and pissed off to Cuba for two years.
    Spent the last 13 years trying to minimise the damage I had done to others.

Most of the mid life crises above seem to be just shopping decisions.

paulx
    Free Member

I’ve got a V8 itch I need to scratch. CLK 500 convertible seems the most sensible, but I keep hankering after my old TVR 350i from 20+ years ago.

Ahh the V8 itch … Got a Merc E500 here, same sort of idea – a most ideal MLC.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

40 today and bought my first Porsche 3 weeks ago. Actually the slowest and ‘cheapest’ car I’ve had for about 10 years but I now only drive at the weekends and it makes me smile every time I look at it and grin inanely when I drive it so it’s all good!

adsh
    Free Member

I just quit a well paying job with no other job to go to, because it was the most toxic place I’ve ever worked and was ruining my mental health.

I did that too, aged 41.

I’m 53, have done the same. No mortgage but the funds I built up to cover things on a rainy day got spent on our new house build. At least I’m told I look better than I’ve done in 2 years.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

The MX 5 was the sensible thing… but only really deferred the divorce and the other stuff. And the road bike was a bad one

Now very happy and getting married again next year.

tomhoward

Watching with interest as my adult life to date has essentially been a list of impulse purchases, so while I’m ‘only’ 32, it’s gonna have to be a pretty ridiculous thing to even register as out of the ordinary, let alone a crisis.

Does getting married count?

shinton
    Free Member

Blonde, curvy and 22 yrs younger than me.

And the difference apart from collateral damage is Eddie?

grenosteve
    Free Member

Does buying a top of the range* trials bike at 32 count? Hope it does, Mrs wont be happy if there’s another mid life crisis big spend any time soon…

(*Not as expensive as a top of the range MTB, but still a fair amount!)

jamiep
    Free Member

Not particularly silly, but as well as buying road and ‘cross bikes soon after 40, I ended up buying from Gumtree, on two occasions, two Raleigh Burners. They were only £50 and £75. They weigh over 30kg. They are just parked up in the flat, I just look at them and smile

eddiebaby
    Free Member

shinton – Member

Blonde, curvy and 22 yrs younger than me.

And the difference apart from collateral damage is Eddie?

Fair point. 😀

grenosteve
    Free Member

Also, If I could find one, this would be next –

bencooper
    Free Member

In retrospect, spending my early 30s doing crazy urbex stuff was probably my midlife crisis 😉

johnx2
    Free Member

Getting into surfing aged 39 involved some shopping. It also involved career imperiling last minute diving off work for the coast/buggering off to lanka. Then there was the relationship imperiling amounts of time away from home in vans around the UK, in car parks with younger guys dressed in rubber. What I regret most in retrospect is time away from my kids at weekends. Not that I didn’t spend weeks each summer in france shouting at them to paddle harder (putting them off for life). Then there’s the utterly perverse in financial terms house on the coast, that the by then teenagers had far better things to do than go to. It goes on.

Whatever, things held together but I never got, and 16 years later seem unlikely ever to get, any good at actual surfing. Hey ho. But as Tony Soprano said, waddyagonnado?

Coyote
    Free Member

In between jobs at the moment so can’t really afford to go too mad.

Last year ahead of my 50th my sister in law challenged me to a half marathon. Poo-pooed the idea at first but as is often the case with me, once the idea is planted it will often germinate so I took her up on it. I’ve just turned 51 and completed my third 13.1 in September, fourth is booked for March. Never considered myself a runner but I’ve got quite a nice collection of 5K, 10K and half marathon medals along with an extreme obstacle course one. Not really a crisis as such but a definite change in direction.

Could do with another interest though…

Viewing 22 posts - 81 through 102 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘Your Silliest Mid-life Crisis*’ is closed to new replies.