Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 102 total)
  • Your Silliest Mid-life Crisis*
  • Ro5ey
    Free Member

*Apart messing about on bikes in the woods.

I’m going for an American Football try out day on Sunday…. I’m 42 😳

Do I still have it? … Played for GB youth a hundred years ago.

Give me your examples of mid-life mass stupidity. Did you enjoy it (what ever it was) or wished you’d left it alone.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Easy one this.

It’s deciding that I needed an all-mountain gnar machine which weighed the same as the HMS Endurance, was far too short in the top tube and had the forgiving handling of an early seventies Porsche 911.

The replacement for my previous XC bike has 150/140mm of travel, weighs 28lb, climbs extremely well and is far better downhill than my old AM monster.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Blonde, curvy and 22 yrs younger than me. (And still well legal.)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wallop

My husband and I both just quit our jobs 😆

woody2000

Kids.

Who the f thought starting a family (3 kids) at 38 was a good idea! 😉

ton

spending a long weekend in Amsterdam in 1995 , fuelled by Amstel, white widow, and coke.
    ended up in hospital for a few days on a drip……… 😳

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

Same as Woody …. 45 years old and second one due June next year 🙂

willard

43 years old and am now on my AFF Level 6 jump. I’m amazed that it took me so long to discover skydiving. It’s frickign awesome.

jimjam
    Free Member

I take all sorts of issues with the op.

Kryton57

I recently bought some formal and expensive lounge wear.

dannybgoode

@willard. I’ve wanted to do my AFF since I did a tandem dive years ago. Unfortunately never quite got round to it.

mjsmke

Not there yet but already planning it. It’l be quitting full time work so i can enjoy my life while health is on my side. Just cant afford to yet. Hate working and I’m just always tired, too tired to do anything else.

tops5
    Free Member

Bought my first DH bike last year aged 46

Northwind

I just bought a trials bike this year, and a new electric guitar. I already own 2 nice guitars, neither of which I’ve played for years, so obviously a new one made perfect sense.

Oh and I’m restoring a motorbike, because I am a walking cliche

willard

Danny, just do it.

I did a tandem at Saarlouis in August and laughed all the way down from 15k to 6k and decided that I wanted to learn then. It’s taken me this long to book it and jump. Now I have started, I just need two more to get past the AFF part, then another 12 or so and some exams before I can get my A license.

Yes, hooked. it is such good fun.

ChrisL

Northwind – Member
    I just bought a trials bike this year, and a new electric guitar. I already own 2 nice guitars, neither of which I’ve played for years, so obviously a new one made perfect sense.

Oh and I’m restoring a motorbike.

It may not be the most costly, but the ukulele has to be mentioned too!

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Kids here too. 3 year old and a 5 year old. I’m 46.

Which of course leads onto me ‘needing’ a Transition PBJ in chrome to visit the skate parks and pump tracks with my 5 year old boy.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Believing that the credit crunch in 2007/8 was something that I could work through and keeping a full complement of staff for a year too long ..virtually brought the business to its knees and only a very large loan which has taken 7 years to pay off has kept me ticking over ..in hindsight maybe I should just have gone bust but I have always believed in ‘ doing the right thing ‘ ..more fool me 😕
    Couldn’t have done it without my woman to keep me sane ..

Northwind

ChrisL – Member

It may not be the most costly, but the ukulele has to be mentioned too!

I’ll accept that if only because it suggests I can get in and out of these things in an afternoon, for minimum spend. Anyway MC’s going to buy it off me.

ferrals
    Free Member

Not quite mid life yet.. but when I hit 40 I’m buying a set of bagpipes 😀

penguinni

Began training as a Paramedic. At 54.

DezB
    Free Member

Me at 50

Didn’t last long! 😆

miketually
    Free Member

Not quite mid life yet.. but when I hit 40 I’m buying a set of bagpipes

A colleague plays the bagpipes and practices here at the end of the working day. I had a few days of thinking I was losing my mind before I realised.

binners

In a similar style to Dezzy Baby, I recently bought these…

and have started that skating lark again. My knees aren’t what they used to be

slowoldman

I took up the oboe aged 54 and mountain biking after that.

crazy-legs

Yes, hooked. it is such good fun.

I got bored of skydiving – there’s really only so many ways you can fall out of a plane. Also the cost and the sitting around at airfields waiting for the cloud to clear / wind to drop got tiresome.

Not sure I’ve had a mid-life crisis yet but I’m 40 now so there must be one round the corner!

thecaptain
    Free Member

unicycle

and running perhaps

hodgynd
    Free Member

Binners..Jack Bauer boots ..are you a government agent too..?

Murray

I’ve started learning the guitar at 53 – loving it, thanks to my 9 year old daughter for teaching me!

Tracey

Mid life crisis or impulse buy.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Don’t know but it’s losing oil..
    They only work if you haven’t got kids to tidy up after everytime you move on ..

jonnyrobertson

I’d LOVE a mid-life crisis! For me it would be paragliding, did a tandem a few years back and fell hopelessly in love with it. Unfortunately shifts that are all over the shop and the vagaries of the UK weather put paid to it being anything more than a dream.

*edit* Actually, I’m trying to persuade the Mrs to let me chop my yaris in for a Nissan Cube, does that count?

nickc

I feel slightly inadequate about the Airdrop Edit I bought. 😆

transporter13
    Free Member

Dunno if 38 is classed as midlife these days but I’m sat here waiting for my n+1 to turn up on friday so I can embarrass myself on sunday

flyingmonkeycorps

Bought an MX-5. What’s silly about that you hear? Nothing. The silly part was selling it to cycle to work every day (he says watching a Biffa bin make its way past the office window propelled only by the wind).

Harry_the_Spider

Karate and Airfix, but not at the same time.

Kahurangi

Tracey – love the vanity plate on that 😆

Fat-boy-fat

Learning to ride a motorbike 30 years too late. The very definition of all the gear, no idea.

wallop

Tracey – that’s not Kev! 😆

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Ducati 900SS – big loud red italian motorbike – how much of a cliche is that?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘Your Silliest Mid-life Crisis*’ is closed to new replies.