Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Your Parts Bin
  • fossy

Little bit of fun.

What do you keep in your ‘parts bin’ ?

I’ve a tray of various nuts and bolts from over the years, the odd jockey wheel (came in useful recently) chain or so, old usable sprockets, tyres, tubes, old lights (many). I’ve a couple of old front mechs and two old rear mechs – both have been used for spares. Loads of QR skewers for some reason, Shimano still the best !

Just ‘acquired’ an unused, still on card, Shimano M570 five arm chainring. They are like rocking horse poop to get hold of, and I had to buy a lightly used one last time (just fitted). This will be in the parts bin as I’m going to be using the old MTB for an off road commute once were back in the office, and the dirt will wear them down quickly.

The other thing I try and order when not stupid money are Truvative 2 x 10 42T chain ring – £60 is the usual rate upto £90.

abingham

A metric shit tonne of stems, none of which are the right length for any of my bikes.

monkeyboyjc

Lots of spare bolts, cables, pads, oil etc . but now only the  stuff relevant to my bikes. Just donated all of the spares & tools I don’t need to a local bike project charity.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I have a 2 tier system for this stuff. The first tier is ‘avoid supply delays stuff’ to keep me running and avoid JIT panic repairs prior to trips or riding.

In normal times, a complete spare drivetrain sans crank and shifter. Spare seal kit for extant forks and shocks, spare bearings for wheels, BB, headset and suspension pivots service kit for dropper, enough spare brake pads for both bikes, spare gear cables, and brake fittings.

Then I have ‘stuff that I might need’ that comprises anything removable from old components. Its mainly bolts and washers, but all the proprietary stuff lurks in there too, like front mech spacers, little rubber do-hickies and plastic curiosities.

I’ve got a rigid seat post of the right diameter just in case, and old saddle, some redundant mudguards and a few things I can’t bear to junk like a set of 9 speed SRAM X01 twisties and rear mech, and some older tools that are perfectly good but superceded by nicer versions of the same thing.

tazzymtb

more rubber than a german sexytime club, loads of ss cogs in various colours and sizes. about 15 chains to go with cog and chainring combos. Spare ti bits, seatposts, stems, forks QR’s etc.. enough odd and ends to probably build some bling wheelsets with obscure standards like 170mm and 135 fat bike hubs. 5 sets of disc brakes for just in case use and throwing onto experimental builds. some home made franken forks with 51mm offset and 50mm travel (using old 26 u turn uppers with 29er lowers) for a gravel build. couple of spare frames, and 4 kit boxes of gubbins and bolts and obscure things that may come in handy one day
    2 boxes of chainrings and all sorts of older gear mechs that work with roadie shifters for adventure bikes and making 6 speed systems to run on ss hubs.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I could probably build at least half a dozen bikes easily. Boxes and boxes of retro kit.

nbt

As above, loads of bolts and washers and things from broken bits that have been stripped for anything that might concerivably still be useful

But in addition:

loads of gear/brake cables (inner and outer) plus ferrules and cable end caps.
    10 speed cassette and chain for the tandem
    old mech converted to singulator
    Various adapters for Hop Hubs
    Hope sawtooth rotors
    Kona Jackshit flat pedals
    large collection of brake mount adapters of varying sizes
    Various chainrings (possibly even brand new unused) but I’ve no idea how may teeth / how many arms / what BCD

this lot is on the pile but needs to be sold at some point :

2 more or less complete 9 speed drive trains (shifters, cassettes, cranksets incl chainrings, chains, rear mechs. maybe 1 front mech between them)
    Set of original Hope Mini brakes
    26″ Hope Pro2 Evo wheelset
    26″ straight steerer Rockshox sektor forks
    TRP Slate4 brakeset
    various stems ranging from 90 to 130mm
    large collection of QRs
    Middleburn RS7 square taper crankset with uno ring and a bottom bracket
    29″ carbon forks
    drop handlebars with 3*9 STI shifters

and other stuff that probably needs to go but might not actually be worth any / much money like
    2 ful lumicycle halogen light sets
    Octalink crankset possibly with chainrings
    Basic 29er wheelset
    Various “be seen” lights and mounts for loads of lights that i no longer seem to have
    old handlebars (580mm and 640mm)
    32 spokes from a wheel I disassembled in order to fit a different rim, plus the nipples
    bag of brand new nipples left over

willard

Weirdly, I have just checked this.

I have a bunch of inner tubes, some spare spokes, several tyres (all tubeless), the usual array of pumps (shock and tyre), V-brake pads, disk pads, about a million different cans of lube, two 9 speed cassettes, a 9 speed chain and a 3x front mech and shifter. Then there is my pedal, cleat and stem collection. That’s out of control.

nedrapier

A metric shit tonne of stems, none of which are the right length for any of my bikes.

Of course they aren’t. Otherwise they’d still be on a bike, rather than taken off, replaced by something more suitable and stuffed in a drawer.

I also have an unnecessarily large collection of unsuitable stems, including the prize exhibit, a 120mm purple anodised Answer Manitou quill stem for a 1 1/4in threaded steerer fork.

Someone, somewhere is probably desperate for it.

irc

I had a clearout of my shed. So my spares only fill a couple of boxes now. Plus a few tyres obiously and a spare wheel or two.

Includes 3 or 4 rapid rise rear deraileurs which I like on my drop bar tourers. On my current reduced touring miles I’ll never need to buy another. Though the point of the stockpile was that they were out of production.

With a lot of stuff like stems/bars/gearshifters etc I reckoned with Amazon Ebay etc it was easier just to buy stuf as I needed it rather than keep piles of stuff.

That said when my son was round the other day with his new commuter b ike i was handy just to be able to pull a rack down off the shed rafters to stick on it!

dyna-ti

Parts bin 1. Early Hope axles, freehubs,end spacers(each according to their colour),bearings,internal spacers.spline lockrings
    Parts bin 2. Modern Hope end spacers, axles,bearings,assorted disc spacers,pad pins,internal washers.
    Parts bin 3. Assorted Hope bits(NOS) more spacers, early pistons, axles,bearings.
    Parts bin 4. BNIB Hope – F&R bulbs, F&R splined sport hubs,Hope mechanical brakes+pads. couple of stems,skewers.
    Parts bin 5. BNIB Hope – F&R tech3/E4 brakes, F&R 2×10 Sram XO shifters,F&R XO 2×10 derailleurs,grips etc, all in purple.
    Parts bin 6. assorted Hope stuff, 5 and 6 bolt discs, 5 bolt splines
    The Hope ano box – Blue,red,black,silver gold. Brake levers,bar plugs,master cylinder caps,stem spacers,top caps,assorted sized seatpost clamps, individually compartmentalized (mix of new and vgc)
    wheel/rim bin. F&R red Hope ti glide/suspension splined on red mavix x517,135 F&R pro4 on x517,nos pair of X517,nos pair of citron 319,nos pair of D521. – all in 26″.

The parts bins have taken a bit of a hit recently due to needing funds for the e-bike, so the above is after I sold off about £3k(actually closer to 4k) of nos and bnib Hope- Hubs(every hub they made bar big uns),C2’s,minis,mono minis etc.
    Donated a few frames,shocks,rims and tyres and assorted drivetrain parts to a bike project recently.
    And thanks to the new ebike being a 29er, i need to embark on gathering suitable 29er stuff. God it’s never ending 😯

DezB
    Free Member

Stems, inner tubes (what are they for?!), wheels of various sizes hung around the garage.
    Then there’s the 2 boxes. One for all the old “hoarded” stuff and the other for the may use again stuff.
    “Old” contains at least 3 cranks, v brakes, some ski bar ends (oh yes), at least 3 square taper BBs, odd pedals, one of which is seized onto a crank arm. Decent pair of DMR pedals but I donated a nut from one to a pleading STWer, thus rendering them useless. And other things.
    “Again” box contains cables, grips (at least 4 pairs), chainrings of various sizings and fittings, new XT brake lever and a new road caliper – both ebay bargains bought just-in-case… plus other things can’t recall.
    Oh there’s also a shelf with old handlebars, seatposts and saddles. And another shelf with the decent 700mm and wider bars.
    It’s a problem.

abingham

Right, let’s pack this up. @dyna-ti has won the thread, we can all go home now!

smokey_jo

Found at least 5 pairs of Hope mini mono pads unused at the weekend – kept ordering the wrong ones (my brakes are mini’s not the mono’s)

about 4 sets of 680mm wide bars

A pair of BB7’s and god knows how many sets of spare pads, I think they are spares for the hardtail that’s been left in France.

BB5 pads – probably 6 sets of them as they also fit the Hayes cable disc calipers also in the parts bin.

Some 20mm 26″ Pikes for spares the ones on my FS and some Manitou nixon 20mm 26″ again which I can’t use cos I’ve lost something off them last time I serviced them which is probably under the fridge.

Left hand shifters various, 8speed RH shifters various, sram 9 speed mechs and shifters which I think are work out but I still haven’t got round to binning.

A tub full of ball and cage bearings for 1 1/8″ headsets which I don’t think fit any of my bikes

I must have 20 or so 160mm post mount adaptors

and there’s more random old tut in various boxes which I can’t be arsed to sort through

reluctantjumper

Just don’t do what I did!

Saw that the pile was getting out of hand so sold a lot of it over lockdown. Now left with a spare tyre for each bike, a decent stock of brake pads, a few old OEM handlebars and stems (ready for if I ever sell any bike and want to keep the upgraded ones) and spare cables. Oh and a box of rims that no-one wants.
    Of course a few weeks later I needed a few bits to fix a friend’s bike. All of which I had sold and were unavailable. So far I’ve managed to avoid that fate for my own bikes but it’s only a matter of time.

wordnumb
    Free Member

Rounded out a reservoir screw last weekend, it had been ropey for a while. Three minutes of “what’s the best fix” led to “I think I have an identical brake, bled and ready to fit”. God bless the parts bin and all who sail in her.

johndoh
    Free Member

A metric shit-tonne of wheel reflectors from kids bikes as they get progressively older.

jimw
    Free Member

I had a phase of gathering spares for my bikes when they were ‘bargains’ because they were not the latest standard and people were getting rid of them. So, for example, for my 2001 Litespeed which has 3×9 drivetrain I have two sets of spare cranks and three sets of chainrings…all Shimano M960. oh, and at least three bnib 9 speed XT cassettes, two chains and a spare pair of XT shifters and both mechs for the bike. I also have a spare set brand new straight steerer forks for it and a spare set of wheels.
    Ditto for my 2×10 bikes, when people were flogging unused chainrings v. Cheap when the 1x fashion started I have at least three sets of XT rings, chains and cassettes, plus a pair of shifters and mechs? And another brand new spare straight steerer 29” fork. Cos they were almost impossible to get when tapered forks came in so rather than have a bike that might get scrapped because of lack of a fork….
    Etc. Etc
    The sad thing is that as I haven’t been well, for nearly two years I haven’t really ridden any of them, so at current usage all this will last me, well, forever.
    That’s before I get onto the spare pads, tubes, tyres for three different wheel sizes, gear cables, discs etc.
    I do aim to get some use out of the bikes in the near future, honest, but at the moment you could argue they weren’t such bargains after all

metalheart
    Free Member

SolarisMAX mk I frame
    Sherpa Next Gen frame
    FlareMAX previous version frame
    Fox factory racing 100mm boost forks
    XT 3×10 speed transmission (triple cranks, b/b, chain, mechs and shifters – still sealed/boxed)
    Hope 35mm 27.5 boost wheel set (with B+ rubber and disc’s still attached)
    Hope Techenduro 29er boost wheelset (with rubber still attached)
    XT 2×11 singleised cranks (used)
    XT 2×11 boost cranks (used)
    SLX 11 speed single cranks (used)
    4 spare new XT 11 speed cassettes
    2 x spare KMC 11 speed chains
    DMR vaults (1x used 1x boxed)
    Bergtec irn bro plastic flatties (v4)
    Raceface 50mm 35 dia stem and matched 750 wide bars
    Renthal 30mm rise fatbars
    183 and 203mm in used Hope rotors
    Hope brake adaptors (see above)
    XTR 2x sideywise front mech (boxed)
    XT 2x sideywise ebracket front mech (mistake)
    30.9mm xfusion manic 125mm dropper post
    Various Maxxis and WTB tyres (new and part used)
    2 or three spare sets of orange tubeless valves (new)
    Raceface 55 and 60mm normal dia stems
    Various fizik arse killers, sorry, saddles.
    Various Stanton and Fabric saddles
    Couple sets of 160 and 180 shimano discs (mtb and gravel)
    DTSwiss GR1600 wheelset and WTB raddler tyres.
    Sonder replacement from gravel wheel.
    Sonder stupid flared gravel bars.
    Assorted cables, olives, pads, etc.
    Plus whatever I’ve forgotten…

twonks

I’m pretty much as most of the above. Another interesting question is what have you thrown away in a deluded fit of fed up with crap ness or just wanting to make the garage / shed / loft tidier?

I went through a stage a few months ago where I binned about 6 wheels, 4 or 5 sets of V brakes, old but perfectly usable cassettes, handlebars, stems, saddles and quite a bit more.

Felt quite relieving to get rid of such a large amount of ‘crap’ that I was never going to use.
    Then a few days later I saw some of the bits on fleabay with crazy prices. Looking at them, I probably binned £500. Oh well.

dyna-ti

Felt quite relieving to get rid of such a large amount of ‘crap’ that I was never going to use.
    Then a few days later I saw some of the bits on fleabay with crazy prices. Looking at them, I probably binned £500. Oh well.

My sister(bless her) convinced me to get shot of all the mtb magazines I’d collected since about 1995. MBUK,MTB etc, about 3 individual mags and I never missed a month, mainly as i worked next door to a newsagent and needed something for lunch time. Whole lot went in the bin, box after box.
    6 months later I discovered there was quite a market for the old mags.

Thanks sis.
    Who I might add has a real cheek to talk, she’s 2 cellars and a loft packed to the gunwales with the kids toys, bedding, crockery, old clothes, about 20 chairs, and boxes of assorted junk, seems she never throws away anything. Most of which is probably worthless.

Tracey

After moving on loads of stuff over the last 18 months including bikes, frames, forks, shocks wheels and a multitude of other parts the list is still too long to even start to type out.
    However with the scaracy of parts anything that we may use is been kept for the time being

slowoldman

“Parts Bin” suggests a level of organisation I can only aspire to.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

I’m especially proud of my used expander ring collection – Hope, Absolute Black, Superstar to name but a few. All have very rounded teeth 👍

nuke

14 pairs of spare suspension forks is my stand out hoard of shame

Kuco

Brand new Sram 12 speed GX rear mech donated by a mate, Sram 12 speed NX mech, 12 speed eagle chain, 11 speed ultegra chain, 12 speed NX shifter, Praxis double chainset and BB, sevaral size of chainrings, spare set of Roval MTB wheels and some tyres.

Oh and a set of Pace 26″ suspension forks.

ton

i am very proud to say, after being one of this forums most serial bike swappers, only beaten to the champions trophy by Mamadirt, i now have zero in my spare parts bin.

i now ride a rohloff euqipped bike. and need no spare parts.

funkmasterp

I have cable ties, lots of cable ties, a disturbing number of helmets and saddles and a frankly ridiculous number of headset spacers. Oh and packets and packets of various sized tubeless worms. My spares box is a bit shit compared to some of yours.

Metalheart and Tazzy appear to be winning. Spare Ti bits and a couple of lovely Stanton and Cotic frames as spares sounds like a good place to be.

BearBack
    Free Member

Anyone that can list what they have obviously doesn’t have enough 😉

dyna-ti

Anyone that can list what they have obviously doesn’t have enough

From reading the replies. Money

joshvegas
    Free Member

“Parts Bin” suggests a level of organisation I can only aspire to.

Yep. I have a parts dispersion system. A bit like an Amazon distribution centre placed at random.

kiwijohn

Well, the most interesting would be a complete 3×9 drivetrain which can be bolted to a DBR Axis TT at short notice. Derailleurs, shifters, cables and all.

fooman

Pretty much everything up to and including Forks, Groupsets, Hubs, Cranks everything to build a bike bar a frame. I usually pick up spares when they come up cheap so I don’t have to pay over the odds when something is needed urgently, great so far this year but I recently had to fit the spare new SRAM GX Eagle mech I had been hoarding, which was painful as I had been hoping to sell it and retire early.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Your Parts Bin’ is closed to new replies.