Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 245 total)
  • Your most tenuous connection to someone famous. My two for starters.
  • chiefgrooveguru

My Honda and I overtook Jordan in her Ferrari on a slip road some years back… Dick Strawbridge’s brother worked at my school (just after I left) – that’s pretty tenuous!

sassy
    Free Member

I was in a Rosie and Jim Video!

BoardinBob

Billy Connolly was in the audience of a pantomime I was also attending

SiLanc
    Free Member

I pulled Jack Duckworth a pint when he turned up to turn on the local Christmas lights. He drinks Guinness.

jimification
    Free Member

– Ate dinner in a restaurant a couple of tables away from Jilly Goulden (from the “Food and Drink” TV show)
    – Got Eddie Large‘s autograph at a golf tournament.
    – Saw Nicholas Lindhurst in a music shop in chichester. He was trying (badly) to look inconspicous but a little girl shouted out “look mummy, there’s Rodney!!!)
    – Sneaked in to an after gig party at the Dominion and met Joe Lynn Turner (nice guy, friendly) Jens Johannson and Yngwie Malmsteen (a bit distant but not arrogant)
    – Talked to Griff Rhys Jones at the Architect’s I worked at in Soho. He gave me a look that said “Don’t you dare recognise me”.
    Jenny Agutter came in the same place (above) She was *lovely*
    – My great, great, grandfather was Stonewall Jackson (a famous confederate general).
    – Bought an amp on Ebay. When the seller gave me the collection address, it came up as “Adrian Smith holdings, Dave Murray holdings etc. etc.”. Turns out he was Maiden’s tour manager.

..and my most treasured one: bumped into Ed Wynne (from the Ozric Tentacles) in Tin Pan Alley in London. He seemed quite surprised to be recognised. Shook his hand and told him how much I loved his music.

Dickyboy

1.My brothers piano teacher was Justin & John Fashanu’s foster mum.
    2.My dad christened Ian Anderson’s kids.
    3.My other brother was at college with the tech director who got fired from Maclaren.
    4.My sister was at college with a guy from the Blow Monkeys who went on to produce some stuff for Madonna.
    5.I went to school with Peter Keen

etc etc etc

BoardinBob

I used to work with Mark Millar’s sister

I currently work with cousins of Jim & William Reid from Jesus and the Mary Chain. In fact I can see one of the cousins right now.

orena45

can-uk – Member

Ms orena45 used to go out with comedian Richard Herring.
    She also may be distantly related to Michael Jackson’s kids.

I’m tenuously connected to Orena45.

I’m a distant cousin to Priscilla Presley (wife of Elvis) and mother to Lisa Marie (ex-wife of Michael Jackson)

We’re practically related then 😆

chiefgrooveguru

2.My dad christened Ian Anderson’s kids.

And I was in a band with one of them!

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

My Ex-fiancé was a Daltrey,

. . . something like her Great, Great Granddad had a brother, who is the Great, Great Granddad of the Who’s Roger Daltrey, . . . or something like that!

bob_summers

Michael Caine and Graham Gooch are my uncles. Or, their namesakes are at least.

Came home once to find Dick Lucas (Subhumans, Culture Shock…) washing his feet in my sink.

Lionheart
    Free Member

All years ago so seems like someone else’s life!!
    1. Simply Red (never a fan) once trashed my house, sent them back to their hotel – all just before as they became famous – my sister was going out with one of them and they were doing a gig locally.
    2. Went out with a distant member of the Royal Firm.
    3. Last time i met Prince Charles in a crowd (years ago) he knew my name – no connection to one above.
    4. Was on Blue Peter.
    5. Was on Magpie!!
    6. Went in a Red Arrow.
    7. Always told Great Grandad Allen created the Allen key – don’t think this is true but family seem to think it is.
    8. My old man designed the ‘Kent’ head (wish he had a pound for each one made) and worked on the team that created colour telly
    9. Once had a American Secretary of State breakdown in front of me – because it was all too much.

But wish Jenny Agutter was my auntie!!

exile_smoggy

Me and Proff Brian Cox (now off of the Sean Keaveny 6 Music breakfast show and telly box) both gave talks about our research to a schools science conference in ’98.

The kids were more impressed with his D:Ream video than my trips to use telescopes in Hawaii or it might just have been the floppy fringe.

Dickyboy

And I was in a band with one of them!

blimey how time does fly, probably a toddler when I last saw them 😳

molgrips
    Free Member

I know a bloke who uses a telescope in Hawaii.

exile_smoggy

I knew a bloke who used a telescope in Hawaii, then he got a job in IT 🙁

off to google big mirrors and dream of my not very miss-spent yoof

Keef
    Free Member

I know ‘the phantom flan flinger’ from Tiswas.

well,he says he was,but he was pi55ed when he told us in the pub one night,and had absoloutely no proof what so ever,and he knew Sally james,an she was a propper babe.

so I believe him.

oh and he did ‘the dying fly’ on the floor,as his idea of proof.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

My old man designed the ‘Kent’ head (wish he had a pound for each one made) and worked on the team that created colour telly

My grandma invented Essex head, which is much better and more easily available.

cheers_drive

Dr Alice Roberts (apparently she has some fans on here) is a friend of a friend. I even spent this New Years Eve with her (and her husband, my GF and several others).
    Aged 8 we saw Little and Large in a multi story in Torquay, my Dad couldn’t resist tugging is invisible braces and shouting ‘rock on Tommy’.
    John Pertwee dressed as Wurzle Gummage, poked me (in in the chest) with a straw finger.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Aged 8 we saw Little and Large in a multi story in Torquay, my Dad couldn’t resist tugging is invisible braces and shouting ‘rock on Tommy’.

Fantastic. I look forward to the day that i can do that for my kids!

sc-xc

Came home once to find Dick Lucas (Subhumans, Culture Shock…) washing his feet in my sink.

That’s cool – I love Culture Shock.

I forgot my best one. A few years ago, Pato banton phoned up where I work to book a hall for a youth music workshop thing he was doing. I sand 2 verses and a chorus of ‘baby come back’ with him on the phone.

miketually
    Free Member

Diane Youdale (Jet from Gladiators) borrowed my diving gear, then later that day accidentally (she says) hit me in the gentleman’s area.

Her cousin was in my A level geography class.

David Ginola once almost ran me over.

djc1245
    Free Member

John Peel once told me to **** off

thepurist

Forgot – when I worked in that London’s famous London my boss took my out to lunch to convince me to take on a PM role. On the next table were Kenny Everett and Cleo Rocos.

Once get delayed on a flight to Egypt with Keith Harris (of Orville fame), who was apparently taking his ‘daughter’ out there with him. Nightmare for him as he was stuck in the departure lounge for hours with a load of people saying “I wish I could fly…”

chakaping
    Free Member

I went to buy some doughnuts from the Krispy Kreme franchise in Tesco for my wife’s friend the other day and the man on the till said David Beckham had been in a few days before, but had only wanted doughnuts.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

[pedant] That would have been Cannon and Ball, then. [/pedant]

I saw Cannon and Ball in St Austell in 1980…

rockhopper70

What have I started here. Makes for excellent reading tho!!!!
    However, now is the time to play my ace.
    This covers all the requirements and is very on topic.

Brant Richards was on the same course as me at Hudds Uni.
    ……on the year above.

I remember all the furore when he appeared as Zak Tempest.

IHN

I’ve taken Natalie Imbruglia’s dog for a walk (sadly that’s not a euphemism)

I bedded down for the night on the floor of Lyon Airport next to George Alagiah during a snow-in

My mum sat next to Andy Bell of Erasure fame on a plane.

I’ve seen Stuart ‘Psycho’ Pearce naked

FarmersChoice
    Free Member

I sold two of the Beverley sisters some batteries. HP7’s at the time. Sold Bernie Winters a TV as well.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

I almost crashed into Dawn French as she pulled out of her drive. Few years ago now though.

jj55

I crashed into Richard Hammond 😯

Our trolleys met at the end of one of the aisles in Tesco in Ledbury!

tang
    Free Member

my wifes uncle is one of the uks most famous artists.
    i nearly ran over damien hurst.
    i have taken drugs with lionel blairs son(he looks just like him)
    i had a fling with the blond girl from ‘teachers’ who is now with keith allen.
    i am friends with someone who is about as famous as it gets. cant tell you who though.

sor
    Free Member

I once delivered Glen Michael’s (of Cartoon Cavelcade fame) newspaper.

twosheds
    Free Member

A member of staff I had walked Bryan Ferrys mother to get the bus from Worswick Street, Newcastle. Bryan wanted to go to night club and needed some to look after his mum. (early 1970’s). Anyone else remember Worswick Street bus station?

silentsi
    Free Member

I currently work with cousins of Jim & William Reid from Jesus and the Mary Chain. In fact I can see one of the cousins right now.

I also know a cousin of Jim & William Reid from Jesus and the Mary Chain.

flip
    Free Member

My mate got a bollocking off Tony Christie for nicking his chair 😉

will
    Free Member

For the young people here…I literally just found out my best mate plays football with “Bernard” of Bernard’s Watch fame!!

Tim (first winner of the Apprentice) shook my hand and said I have a smart suit.

SaxonRider

I forgot to mention my stint as an extra in the film ‘Untamed Heart’ with Christian Slater, Rosie Perez, and Marisa Tomei.

I appear in two scenes: walking past the escalator in the mall, and smoking at the back of nightclub.

If you want my autograph, just send me a PM.

mikertroid
    Free Member

1. A member of Shawaddywaddy played in the band at my 18th Birthday

2. I was sick in the back of an ex-Beatle’s car.

3. I got invited around to a major international music legend’s house for a surf (lives on a beach). I declined as I thought the beach wasn’t that consistent in its surf stats. TWUNT!

4. Both my mother and I have upset Quentin Wilson independently

5. I have had my 15 minutes of fame on Discovery Channel. Thankfully it only gets shown late at night

sturmey
    Free Member

rockhopper70 I know the real Zak Tempest 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 245 total)

The topic ‘Your most tenuous connection to someone famous. My two for starters.’ is closed to new replies.