Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Your most expensive bike ride?
  • daznal
    Free Member

Just bought a second hand high end bike that’s hardly been used the seller has worked out that due to the depreciation of the bike it cost him an eye watering £100 a ride……that’s got to hurt!any body beat that?

jam-bo

Not bikes but I know someone who destroyed their knee about 100yds into a 2 week skiing holiday and had to be medivacced home.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Not bikes but I know someone who destroyed their knee about 100yds into a 2 week skiing holiday and had to be medivacced home.

🙁 Ouch.
    Mate came out to the Dom Rep to visit and when he arrived in the afternoon it was perfect sideshore and 8-10ft faces. His kit hire didn’t start until the following morning so he borrowed my slalom board. Straight out and hits his first wave, huge air, lands badly, blows out his knee and spent two weeks in a bar on the beach.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

The last one.

Broke my back.

The resulting costs of supermarket deliveries when I was stuck at home and train fares to work when starting to get mobile instead of biking the commute, don’t bear thinking about…

Big cost in pain output as well! 👿 👿 👿

Conan257
    Free Member

Most expensive ride was probably when I was about 15…

Hooked on the sport and have probably spent £30k on riding since then.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I bought a new Lynskey ti frame, rode it once, then sold it on. Lost £400 on the deal.

Lynskey had got their measurements wrong on the website, and I only realised after riding it that it was all wrong. Thanks Lynskey – never again!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Riding on holliday abroad is always >£100/day before you break anything.

Broke three mechs in quick sucession, so each of those rides was probably £60+ wear and tear, over a fortnight!

I always break myself shortly after buying something expensive:
    2nd propper MTB – knee kept me off it for over a year
    First FS bike – broken arm
    New SS – knee played up for 3 months
    New Go-Pro – broke arm on first ride!
    New forks on SS – broke my arm commuting home on the road bike!

rickt
    Free Member

Anyone with a expensive bike… ride it for 10 mins and its then second hand value…..

atlaz
    Free Member

I bought a Big Hit 2 earlier this year. Bloke had ridden it 4 times, I got it for about a grand less than he paid.

KingofBiscuits
    Free Member

Crashed on the first day of a two weeks Alp trip. Fractured wrist. Damaged frame and broken XTR shifter. Cost of repairs. Cost of getting back to the UK with change of flights. Cost of holiday. 10 weeks in cast and 18 weeks on still no closer to getting back to proper riding (well certainly not at any level above road/fire road). Expensive.

Northwind

Destroyed mech, wheel, tyre and pedal in the space of about 2 miles at kinlochleven one time, that was a bit sore

cynic-al
    Free Member

£406 for my ride last Friday – or that’s the cost to the insurer of the driver that knocked me down…

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The 2008 Trans Wales cost me about £900, for 7 days riding……

mooman
    Free Member

An expensive recent ride, would have to be last Sunday.
    3rd time of wearing the new £165 castelli gabba .. front wheel washed out coming around a corner and the gabba tore like tissue paper.

thomthumb
    Free Member

kielder 100.

entry fee £50
    fuel from southampton £100
    camping £35 (this is the only bit i feel robbed of)
    2 pairs brake pads £20
    ripped grip £10
    Ripped knee warmer £15
    Cracked helmet £60
    Brand new carbon seat post worn through £50
    food etc £30

£7.40 a mile. No I didn’t even finish! great time though

plyphon
    Free Member

Brand new carbon seat post worn through

How do you wear through a seatpost?!

monkeychild
    Free Member

Most expensive ride was probably when I was about 15…
    Hooked on the sport and spent £30 on my faux on one 😉

Fixed that for you Si 😀

aracer
    Free Member

Well if we’re doing cost to other people/insurance companies I once had a multi thousand pound bike ride.

honourablegeorge

Northwind – Member
    Destroyed mech, wheel, tyre and pedal in the space of about 2 miles at kinlochleven one time, that was a bit sore

Did similar at Mabie – got about 20 yards pas the trail head, did this steep roll-in at the side of the fire road, branch caught in mech, broke mech, hanger, twisted chain. Paid full RRP for all the replacements at the bike hire place – including an XT Rapid-Rise mech which was all he had. Worked out about £10/yard

davosaurusrex

Borrowed my brother’s pride and joy Orange P7 some years ago. Rode it flat out into a barbed wire/cross mesh fence I didn’t see. Snapped seat post and big chain ring, bent stem, handlebars, saddle rails, front axle, forks back to the down tube and folded the front wheel. Split the head tube too. It proved to be quite expensive all told. Still got the scars on my arms from the barbed wire. I hadn’t told him I was borrowing his bike either.

spidersexual
    Free Member

Purchased a van nich road bike with ti post and wacked a ck headset on to find after 12 mile ride to post office and back that roadying wasn’t for me as I’m a big chap who couldn’t carry speed to warrant a roady.

Shame as it was a wicked gorgeous beautifully made bike.
    Hated the sram apex gear shifters mind.

Worked out that was a £300 journey! 😯

aracer
    Free Member

Did he find out?

trail_rat
    Free Member

5 grand for about 4000kms

including purchase of bike / flights and all food and accomodation for 4 months riding round new zealand.

ruffride
    Free Member

Usually when the mech goes through the back wheel takes about wheel cassette hanger mech an chain never a happy ride done that a few times

tinybits
    Free Member

I went off riding at Cwm Carn on a ‘be there or you’ll be gone’ type day at work. I didn’t really believe the threats.
    Came back on the Tuesday, and I’m redundant on the spot. Would it have been different had I have been there? Possibly, but can’t say for sure. If it would have been different, going on that ride cost me just over £10k in wages until I found another job….!

mudsoul
    Free Member

Another branch-in-the-spokes ride, happened about a mile and a half in. £24 for proprietary spokes, £50 for a new XT rear mech, £30 for mech hanger (£30 for a little piece of metal?! This is ridiculous!) and about £40 in labour.

gazc
    Free Member

bent the down tube on a stab primo on its 2nd voyage out. luckily the insurance coughed up the £1500 for a new frame so maybe that doesn’t count?

spidersexual
    Free Member

That takes some beating tinybits.:(

mkidley
    Free Member

Rear mech caught on a rock in the Lakes, took out an XT rear mech, destroyed the cassette, chain and snapped some spokes, I think it was around £120’ish, single speed botch to get me back to the car where the cassette literally split in half. Still, not as bad as a lot of those other numbers above!

Not sure how the jockey wheel got up there like that, stuck solid!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

gazc – Member
    bent the down tube on a stab primo on its 2nd voyage out.

I thought they cmae like that?

LardLover
    Free Member

My last one (1st Dec).

Came off on a downhill bend (diesel). Ripped road club bibtights and 3/4 bib shorts, ripped Rapha overshoes and winter gloves, long sleeve road club jersey and Assos base layer cut off so that I could get cannulated and be given morphine (nice). Currently week 2 off work, missing out on a load of overtime so taking that into consideration.

Only damage to the bike was a small hole in the shifter hood and a small tear to the bar tape. Seems that throwing myself under my bike worked.

thomthumb
    Free Member

How do you wear through a seatpost?!

saddle bag, grit and 50 miles 😯

andysredmini
    Free Member

£180 For me. I snapped a spoke on my rear Mavic Crossmax on the final descent at Eastridge. Turned out that all the nipples were seized so a new rim and set of spokes were needed.

tenfoot

I rode insomnia at bedgebury in 2011 and snapped the swing arm on my old Scott g zero.

It was the perfect excuse I needed to buy a new Zesty.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Actualy, ‘that’ Gorrick100.

XT consumables – £125
    Brake pads £30
    New brakes (it ruined the piston seals) £150
    Headset £30
    BB £25

And the car was never quite the same after the drive out £££

br
    Free Member

Thursday last I had 4 new tyres put on my car.

Holed one on the side-wall on a rock at Glentress on Saturday…

And I wasn’t even riding, just taking my lad and his mate.

£144.

kudos100
    Free Member

Riding down the Champery downhill track. Crashed at the bottom and broke three spokes and put a dent in the frame.

20 euros for the wheel to be fixed (plus they did a shit job and it has come out of true)

About £100 off the value of the frame.

I also found I had a wear mark on the stanchion of my Boxxers. £100(ish) quid off the resale value.

£200 in about 10 minutes.

coatesy
    Free Member

Tuesday commute, knocked a rechargable hammer-drill off the worktop whilst wheeling the bike out, battery pack shattered, replacements no longer available.Just spent £120 this morning on a replacement set-up.

ross980
    Free Member

Borrowed a mates fs for 1 downhill section back in 1995. Realising how much faster (and comfier) I was on a full suss meant I HAD to buy one. So that 2 min ride cost me about £1.5k

If that doesn’t count, about half an hour into riding The Beast at CyB a rock flicked up and destroyed my back wheel, rear mech, chain and snapped the bit that the mech hanger connects to. Wales is a long way to drive from North Yorks for a half hour bike ride. 😐

shedbrewed
    Free Member

First day and first ride on Mallorcan holiday in May.
    After paying an additional £40 in excess baggage fares to get the bike on the plane…
    Coming down a road descent on the way back to hotel, third of the way down and front tyre burst at about 25mph. Went down hard enough and tore club jersey, rear derailleaur went into back wheel and tore the hanger from the one off ti frame.
    After fitting new tube and strapping bike up I rode to the nearest supermarket for alcohol to clean my torn knees, then about 10k back towards the hotel the bike packed up completely. 3 more days of taxi rides to and from hospital which weren’t claimable (shit travel insurance) totalled £140, plus £1100 for dead frame, one wheel and pair of levers and jersey.
    Plus having to spend the rest of the week doing nowt.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Your most expensive bike ride?’ is closed to new replies.