Viewing 38 posts - 81 through 118 (of 118 total)
  • Your lunch vs. MacD's med. big mac meal
  • molgrips
    Free Member

When eating on the iDiet I tried to find recipies that didn’t need cheese/bread/whatever, rather than just substitute them. Substituting was never satisfactory.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Remains of last nights spag bol, probably a bit more than a large portion just to finish it off. Plus 2 sainsbury’s extra butter mince pies.

I’ve lost a stone in weight with no effort over the last 10 months.

sbob
    Free Member

And so the BS bingo begins

I was joking; I don’t give a monkey’s what people choose to eat, or not eat (I for instance do not eat fungus).

What I don’t like though is the real bullshit of people using their choices to attempt to gain some sort of ethical or moral highground.

Our lifestyles are not ecologically sound, and I have met no-one who is prepared to return to a more basic way of living which is.

Who here is willing to give up their PCs/TVs/Cars/Bicycles/Mobiles/Cheap comfortable clothing?

No-one.

Unless you’re prepared to do that, then it’s bullshit and quite frankly you can cock off (not you personally, Junkyard! 😆 ).

molgrips
    Free Member

Unless you’re prepared to do that, then it’s bullshit and quite frankly you can cock off

Nonsense. It’s not all or nothing is it?

You can have consumer goods, or you can have consumer goods AND eat meat.

Which is better, do you think?

davidjones15
    Free Member

Still be healthier than cheeses which i assume we must also consider to be highly processed and all food is made of chemicals

Why should we assume this?
    Milk.
    Rennet.
    Starter culture.
    Salt.
    Annato as required.
    Time and a bit of knowledge thrown in for good measure.

mogrim

Leftovers for me: chorizo, chickpeas and a pork chop. And a (full-fat) yoghurt. Tasty, although after 3 days eating chickpeas for lunch & dinner I’m beginning to get a bit bored of them.

grum
    Free Member

Nonsense. It’s not all or nothing is it?

Wow for once I agree with molgrips. I find it incredibly stupid this attitude that lots of people have where unless you lead a completely ethically pure lifestyle (is that even possible?) you have no right to care about anything.

BTW today’s lunch was a triple sandwich from Sainsbury’s on wholemeal and oatmeal bread – Egg Mayo, Prawn, and Ham and Mustard still came in under 500 calories despite being a triple, so the OP has picked a particularly lardy sandwich to try and make the point.

Yes lots of people kid themselves that regular sandwiches from a supermarket are healthy compared to fast food, but lots of people don’t and buy relatively healthy stuff – whereas almost everyone who goes to McDonalds buys very fatty, sugary, salty stuff.

jfletch
    Free Member

Do you not eat chesse then – dont find it useful on certain dishes

Why would I be any different?

This is why

Ingredients
    Water, palm oil, tofu, soy protein, stabilizer (carrageenan, guar and carob bean gum), maltodextrin, vinegar, corn starch, emulsifying salt (calcium phosphate, potassium phosphate), potato flakes, salt, adipic acid, soy lecithin, natural flavours, natural colours, preservative (potassium sorbate).
    Nutritional Information
    Typical values per 100g:
    Energy 420kcal/1760kJ, Protein 10.5g, Carbohydrate 10.5g of which sugars 0.0g, Fat 31.5g, of which polyunsaturates 15.7g, of which saturates 15.8g, of which cholesterol 0.0g, Fibre 0.0g, Sodium 1.5g

I can comprehend the motiviation behind not wanting your existance to have too much of an adverse impact on other living things but why go to all the trouble of not eating any animal products, and then go to a lot of trouble to recreate the taste, texture etc of an animal product by having a comparable impact on the enviroment, just in a different way.

Instead of a liverstock farm and a considerable impact on the environment you’ve chosen a palm oil plantation, a factory and crap loads of food miles, which also have a significant impact on the environment.

So while I can understand pizza needing cheese I can’t understand why you can’t accept that being a vegan means you can’t eat dishes where the principal ingredient is an animal product.

To prempt the arguement that its OK to be a Vegan and have an iPhone because at least you are doing something, the cheese thing is different. This isn’t opting out of one thing, it’s substiting one thing for another.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I dont have your experience of being a cheesemaker earlier in my life to compare with but i am sur that is a process and they things in it are chemicals

MM at least it is not contaminated beef and obviously I would have no beef with you 😉

^^^ if you had bothered to quote the last line of the quote from me you would have your answer

I did not realise the ingredients and accept that ethical questions can be raised and I will look into it

I can’t understand why you can’t accept that being a vegan means you can’t eat dishes where the principal ingredient is an animal product.

Again answered before but here have it again I object to the source not the taste and i am not a vegan because i think it will save the world. Could you neve reat beans on toast again please or anything vegan 😉

I really cannot be arsed it gets done to death on here

portlyone

Sainbury’s Meal Deal: New Yorker sarnie, Walkers Cheese n Onion and Coke Zero

Calories: 385, 173, 1.5 = 559.5

\o/ for £3 meals

grum
    Free Member

Surely the way the op should be read is the other way around. Take the McDs as a datum for “not too healthy” as a daily lunch. Then look at the alternative you have chosen because it’s vaguely healthy. When it turns out your middle class alternative is not that much better as you had previously anticipated, it doesn’t mean McDs is actually OK but rather you need to try harder and have been inadvertently “super-sized” without realising.

+1

Buzzard
    Free Member

Pret chicken and avo sandwich – 460calories
    Banana – 70 calories.
    Low fat yoghurt with blackberries as a mid afternoon snack – ??calories

Key – lunch directly after my 8km lunch time run which is good for nutritional timing (see Racing Weight)

sbob
    Free Member

Wow for once I agree with molgrips. I find it incredibly stupid this attitude that lots of people have where unless you lead a completely ethically pure lifestyle (is that even possible?) you have no right to care about anything.

That wasn’t exactly what I was trying to say, but I can’t be arsed to rephrase it all.
    I is slow at typings. 🙂

jfletch
    Free Member

I did not realise the ingredients and accept that ethical questions can be raised and I will look into it

I suppose my befuddlement is because being a vegan is quite an extreem eithical stance, yet the ethical issues associated with food in general seem to have been discarded in the quest to recreate a delicious animal product based food.

I really cannot be arsed it gets done to death on here

Fine – My mind still boggles but all sorts of folk do all sorts of things for all sorts of reasons and they don’t need to explain themselves to me.

Vegan cheese, whatever next! 😈

rudebwoy
    Free Member

Our lifestyles are not ecologically sound, and I have met no-one who is prepared to return to a more basic way of living which is.

there was a fella up this way who did just that,mad jim he was affectionately known– lovely guy, but ploughed his own furrow in every sense– did away with electric, grew his own food, only ate veggie stuff, didn’t wash, when he cut his hand badly with an axe, he just wrapped it in a rag –not nice– treated the wound with lavender and tea tree ! He swapped his ‘cottage’ with a guy in county clare, haven’t heard of him since !

druidh
    Free Member

yes, yes I am. Totally.

Mind you, with a name like Piemonster, there must be a bit of a Celt in you somewhere.

molgrips
    Free Member

Well, it depends on why you are vegan, doesn’t it? Animal rights reasons or environmental reasons.

If the latter, then the stuff on the internet compares veganism with factory farmed beef in the USA, which is terrible stuff.

If you were to eat UK upland reared lamb, wild caught fish or pheasant or something then the sums would be very different, but they don’t factor that in. The best I could find was a grudging acknowledgement that not all meat was as bad for the environment as factory beef.

jfletch
    Free Member

Well, it depends on why you are vegan, doesn’t it? Animal rights reasons or environmental reasons.

Does it? Palm oil production destroys the habitats of a fair few animals.

I get it for the vegies, “don’t kill that animal so I can eat it”

But for the vegans I don’t get “don’t exploit that cow so I can use its milk, but it’s OK to exploit that Amazonian tree frog so I can make palm oil”

For me being a vegan seems to be a illogical, idealistic position to take that doesn’t recognise the reality of the industrialised production of food to support the human population and the effect that has on all other animals. If it is this that you object to then surely eating orgainic ethically sourced animal products (not meat though) is preferable to non-eithically sourced products the simply avoid actual animal products. The existance of Vegan cheese simply highlights this to me.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

OP my lunch today was edible, so it wins every time.

I avoid junk food wherever possible, but on occasions have had to resort to the stuff– working nights on shopfitting travelling round country– very tedious work, even worse diet- felt poisoned at the end of the week. Has put me off pizza,kebabs,burgers– so i suppose it werent all bad.

nacho
    Free Member

Great thread, I think modern food and diet is a hugely influential part of our lives for a myriad of reasons.
    I personally try to eat the minimum amount of processed and imported food for two reasons, my families health (I am sure all the processes food goes through must be one of the reasons why cancer is so prevalent in modern society although this is only my own theory, not proven in any way!) and the other environmental
    I also eat sugar (never white, it’s treated with bleach FFS, only unrefined or molasses) banana’s, satsumas and other imported fruits as well as various other imported foods so cannot pretend to be any better than anyone else. I buy organic when we can afford it to avoid the chemicals, especially as I have young children whose bodies are still developing.
    FWIW lunch wass home made daal with spinach grown in the garden and a couple of processed chapatis (time dictates how much home made food we can eat, I haven’t learn’t chapatis yet and even then the wholegrain wheat would be processed) We rarely eat white rice (they take most of the nutrients out aaaaahhh!) or pasta, almost always wholegrain. We eat meat but not daily (jeez organic meat is expensive!) and try to source organic from local farms when possible.
    Just been called by mrsnacho, chicken and fresh vegetables await yum yum, back later 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

The best reasons to eat organic are the increased nutrient content and the benefits to wildlife. I’m not overly worried about chemicals, it’s not like the stuff is dripping in poison.

And if you are veggie/vegan for environmental reasons then logically you should be able to eat wild caught food. My father in law hunts deer which have no natural predators in the area and are common enough to unbalance the natural environment so need controlling. Can’t get any more ethical meat than that.

druidh
    Free Member

Mate of mine who is a veggie also keeps his own hens. He reckons he’ll have no problem eating them when the time comes.

miketually
    Free Member

Great thread, I think modern food and diet is a hugely influential part of our lives for a myriad of reasons.
    I personally try to eat the minimum amount of processed and imported food for two reasons, my families health (I am sure all the processes food goes through must be one of the reasons why cancer is so prevalent in modern society although this is only my own theory, not proven in any way!) and the other environmental

If I understood BBC Science Club correctly, our diet can influence our epigenetics, and studies have found that diet has influenced two generations later. So, your diet could literally change your grandchildrens’ genetic predisposition to diseases.

miketually
    Free Member

(My tea tonight was a rib eye steak, fried and sliced on top of a pile of salad and accompanied by roasted sweet potato- and squash- chips. Nom.)

Haze

Usually a box of salad along the lines of tuna, leaf (spinach, rocket and water cress), tomatoes, cucumber, beetroot, olives. Lots of black pepper, dollop of coleslaw and a scattering of seeds (pumpkin, sesame, soya beans). And a yoghurt.

Fortunately I got dragged to the pub today for steak and chips so the salad stayed in the fridge.

druidh
    Free Member

Enough about your starter – what about the main course?

Haze

Sometimes a Greggs Spicy One if anyone’s nipping out that way….

shindiggy
    Free Member

barbecue Chicken on rice and salad, home made so don’t know what calories/nutrition.

Was nice though.

shifter
    Free Member

Bag of microwave rice and a tin of mackerel fillets in tomato sauce. I really need to do a shop.

shifter
    Free Member

Jeebus. Just looked in the bin – my 250g of Tilda rice was 1526kcal!

(does some star jumps)

theotherjonv

Jeebus. Just looked in the bin – my 250g of Tilda rice was 1526kcal!

No way! Which variety? Are you sure you’re not mixing up Kj and calories? Or do you have the Lard and Haribo variety?

My pack of Mexican Chilli and Bean in the cupboard is 146 cal per half pack = 292 per pack. Can’t see 5x that.

firepoiboy

I started thinking about food differently lately. A family member died of bowel cancer and some of the research I did yielded scary stuff about our food industry. So now I am back to very basic meals, like steamed veg and eggs. It’s weird but rather than eating food for the way it tastes, I eat it for the way it makes me feel. And I’m feeling pretty good, sometimes I have some junk and the effects are obvious.

davidjones15
    Free Member

I’ll tell you what, those vegetarians are chuffin’ wierdos.
    Don’t go here if you’r esquirmish or don’t like needles.

cheez0
    Free Member

I dont eat mcdonalds as im off the bread and as everyone knows, the staff w4nk in the burgers.

on the positive side, i suppose that would increase the ‘nuritional value’!

shifter
    Free Member

Theotherjonv – you’re right, I was looking at the kJ – I’m an eejit!
    (stops doing star jumps)

druidh
    Free Member

That’s a lot of star jumps. You must be hungry by now.

I think there’s a kebab shop open just along the street.

chiefgrooveguru

Asda’s finest: hot bacon joint and tiger bread. Do I win? :p

Bregante

I was in work at 4a.m this morning. Had a massive full English on a bin lid sized barm from a butty wagon around 11 o’clock and haven’t eaten since. Just got in from work now and I’m still stuffed.

Viewing 38 posts - 81 through 118 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘Your lunch vs. MacD's med. big mac meal’ is closed to new replies.